Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2004 9:32:24 PM EDT
Where can they be purchased and how do you get into Gov't Auctions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
every state has a military vehicle collector's group, google it and you'll see. I've even seen a catalogue of sorts put out by those groups.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What are you, high?
Have you ever driven a rental?
Off road?
While being shot at?
With 10 of your friends?
Who are heavily armed?

There is a reason we are getting rid of them
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are you, high?
Off road?
While being shot at?
With 10 of your friends?
Who are heavily armed?

Every time I go out of town.  

Id like one for a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you, high?
Off road?
While being shot at?
With 10 of your friends?
Who are heavily armed?

+1 from a guy in the .mil

govliquidation
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
www.govliquidation.com/  Bought a couple of tents, lots of insulation materials and REALLY wanted to get onboard with a 6x6 but 9-11, layed off, two years of unenjoyment-school....yada yada.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
and no youre not going to find a humvee
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
A good friend of mine just picked up a 1976 duece and a half for $450.00 with a fresh camo paint job and brand new tires on it and it runs great
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can find an older "preban" one.  Expect to pay some large money.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Try www.colemanssurplus.com, they are about 3 miles north of Harrisburg.  Lots of 6x6s and an ocassional M1009.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

true the ones i have seen were mostly jarhead humves from early mid 80s and IIRC were being sold for 30,000+
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

true the ones i have seen were mostly jarhead humves from early mid 80s and IIRC were being sold for 30,000+

There is one around here for sale I think.  Not sure what they want.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to find out where all these boxes and boxes of surplus mags are coming from.

Can you say group buy?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagged
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
At some point I want to get a surplus Jeep, older type.  Does the military have any more of these, or are they all in the hands of "groups"  which are flipping them for a profit?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Try this:  Military Vehicle Broker & Appraisal Service.

The site us updated frequently.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I heard that the military models aren't street legal for civilians.

Anybody have the real deal scoop on this?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.mil let loose a few of the early ones then DOT got wind and made then get cut in half like the old jeeps
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine owns this place. He deals mostly in British stuff and he's got a Humber PIG (think truck based APC in Northern Ireland) on sale right now.

www.khakicorpsimports.com/
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
On the HHMWV's, here is the scoop. Of the ones that were sold by the USMC through the loophole before it was closed, none meet DOT safety standards for on highway use. All were sold with certificates to obtain title that read "For Off Road Use Only" and that should have been carried over to the state issued title.

However, there are loopholes and many people got this removed and now have clear titles... in some states. In others AM General has persuaded the DMV's to not allow these to be used on highway. However, even if you have a clear title and a tag, you still have a potentially HUGE liability risk. Imagine if you get into an accident... scumbag John Edwards type laywer discovers that your vehicle does not meet DOT satndards and has a laundered title and creams you in court........

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them, in the real world I am a surplus dealer and in the USAR I am a maintenance tech Warrant Officer, so I know a little bit about the subject. And I restore vintage military vehicles just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Just about any military vehicle can be made street legal in Texas. Look up Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc. for more info. Different vehicles have different requirements. I've restored a 1942 Ford Jeep and a 1968 M151A1. I've since sold both, but have a number of friends who own everything from Jeeps to Ducks to Stuart tanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Look on ebay motors, I've seen tons of military vehicles, humvees, blazers(really neat, but a lot of mil specific parts) trucks, etc.  

One of the lousy things is they are all 24volt systems, so all bulbs, starters motors etc are different.  

I liked the diesel blazers with 3/4ton running gear.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#24]
What about emissions?  I don't know much about emissions, but I would think getting a lot of these old HUMVEEs thru emissions would be difficult at best.

Take it from someone who drives a HUMVEE in the Guard, you don't want a military surplus vehicle.  Active Duty gives their HUMVEES to the Reserve and Guard, then we drive them forever.  My unit still has all of our original HUMVEEs, the only ones were ever got rid of were the two that got crushed by a train when the train derailed.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't mind an M1008, basically a militarized 1 ton GM pickup. The M1009 militarized Blazers aren't too bad, either, but I wouldn't exactly call them 3/4 tons. I should have checked out the M1008 up for auction at Hill AFB when I was down there last summer.

Whoever was looking for an old Jeep can probably forget about the government auctions for the most part. I'd say it's been quite a while since they showed up with any degree of regularity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Look on ebay motors, I've seen tons of military vehicles, humvees, blazers(really neat, but a lot of mil specific parts) trucks, etc.  

One of the lousy things is they are all 24volt systems, so all bulbs, starters motors etc are different.  

24 volt aint a bad thing but finding the parts are. biggest thing to go wrong on the blazers and 5/4 tons is teh glowplug timer module. PITA to find. not difficult at all to make a military vehicle 12 volt if you know auto electrics.

and the blazers only have 1/2 ton axles (10 bolt front and Dana 44 rear) behind the 3/4 ton engine and tranny and the NP208 isn't teh greatest transfer case. 6.2 diesel isn't the most powerful but runs almost forever.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I found this and I am SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF!!!

TRUCK, TRACTOR, 5 TON, 6X6, M818, W/ OUT WENCH, VIN# NL00W3-72-C124-15073, ODOM 32357, HRS 1639.

I want one with a wench or they can blow me!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

TRUCK, TRACTOR, 5 TON, 6X6, M818, W/ OUT WENCH, VIN# NL00W3-72-C124-15073, ODOM 32357, HRS 1639.

lol ive seen lost of wenches in the army but none were mounters to a 818
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#31]
A buddy of mine has a Penzgaur (I have no idea how to spell this), it rocks. It goes over incredible terrain and wasn't to bad of a price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#32]
UNIMOGs rock
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#33]
You can get a blow job from a wench without having to mount her on the bumper...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#34]
In some old surplus yards you may find an old M-151.Make sure its an M-151A1 or older,the Feds have been going after folks with A2s and charging them with theft of gov't property.Also,was a good surplus yard in Rolla Mo,5-tons,dueces,2 GOERs,a few gamma goats,jet fuel tanks,old Army busses,half-ton trucks(old Dodges,early and mid-60s vintage)and alota military junk!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Try www.colemanssurplus.com, they are about 3 miles north of Harrisburg.  Lots of 6x6s and an ocassional M1009.  Ops

that website sucks.   popups, wants to reset your home page, etc etc etc.

thank god for opera
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
jeeps (m151???) must be demilled by cutting/crushing.

you can find parts and pieces, but put-togethers are few and far between...and pricey.

Oh, well, another of my bright ideas.  Not a disaster, though, just have to get a Renegade or such.  I just wanted one of the old military ones where the bumper was a good beer bottle opener.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#37]

There are four HMMWVs for sale here in my town, the guy wants something like $30,000 each, and they are COMPLETELY stripped (i.e. no seats, or anything).  They have been there for years.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Try David Uhrig at 740-722.1540 He has a 1987 M998 humvee
 16,388 miles New top, spare tire. Title and ready to go .
$27,500 he also has many other military vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

24 volt aint a bad thing but finding the parts are. biggest thing to go wrong on the blazers and 5/4 tons is teh glowplug timer module. PITA to find. not difficult at all to make a military vehicle 12 volt if you know auto electrics.

and the blazers only have 1/2 ton axles (10 bolt front and Dana 44 rear) behind the 3/4 ton engine and tranny and the NP208 isn't teh greatest transfer case. 6.2 diesel isn't the most powerful but runs almost forever.  

It is actually quite easy to convert the M1008/1009 series to 12v, they actually have a bastadized electrical system that is half 12v and half 24v. They have two batteries, two 12v alternators (one grounded one that is not), use 24v for starting and everything else is 12v.

The biggest expense in the conversion is having your 24v starter rebuilt as a 12v or buying a 12v. If anyone is interested I have a .pdf file that details the conversion and the 3 ways it can be done. You can have both alternators feeding the starting circuit, one that feeds that start circuit and one that feeds a seperate circuit for driving 12v acessories only, or just one alternator and keep the second as a spare.

The glow plug control modules are bad to go, the easiest solution is just wire the glow plugs to a momentary switch and use them when you need them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
In some old surplus yards you may find an old M-151.Make sure its an M-151A1 or older,the Feds have been going after folks with A2s and charging them with theft of gov't property.Also,was a good surplus yard in Rolla Mo,5-tons,dueces,2 GOERs,a few gamma goats,jet fuel tanks,old Army busses,half-ton trucks(old Dodges,early and mid-60s vintage)and alota military junk!

the feds let the A2 issue die years ago, you are pretty well safe now.b
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#41]
If any one wants Hmmwv for $32,000  In perfect restored condition I can get them, just IM me,

They have soft doors (the old style seats (new ones-high back- are an x-tra $2,600)) they are the Marine style with the snorkel and stack exsaust.

These are beutifull trucks and a great investment because there is less than 1000 leagle surplus Hmmwv and they will only become more valuable!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Try this:  Military Vehicle Broker & Appraisal Service.

Holy #$%& Batman  

Regules Missile, Late 1950's  65 feet long, originally built to carry an Atomic Warhead, ( NOT INCLUDED )

Price  $12,500.00  SOLD

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this:  <snip>

Holy #$%& Batman  

<snip pic>

Regules Missile, Late 1950's  65 feet long, originally built to carry an Atomic Warhead, ( NOT INCLUDED )

Price  $12,500.00  SOLD

If the warhead's not included then I'm not buying.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#44]
sobekra70,

There are lots of places to purchase retired military vehicles.

First , you need to decide what it is you're looking for. There are lots and lots of sizes and types of vehicles available.

Why do you want one? How you answer that question for yourself should dictate what kind of MV you look for and help you narrow down your search.

You can get them from government auctions (city and county on up in size). Lots of volunteer fire departments, towns, etc acquired military vehicles after they were retirted from military service. The Forest Service and other federal organizations get them, also.

There's lots of support online and from parts suppliers, and parts for some historic military vehicles are not as expensive as some folks may think. As someone mentioned, check out the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. www.mvpa.org

I own a couple of old military trucks. My favorite is my 1953 Dodge M37 with winch in mostly restored condition (not truly restored, as there are a few modifications). It is a lot of fun to own and operate.

Here are some photos of M37s (mine is not on there). Mine went to a city fire department after military service and was used as a brush/woodlands fire truck, then to the same city's public works department. The city then sold it at auction to a parts business. An acquantance of mine bought it from them, and I bought it from him. It is very underrated as a 3/4-ton-payload truck offroad. Military trucks are rated by their offroad or overland cargo capacity -- the on-road rating would be half agin as much to twice as much as the offroad rating.

I also have a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 that went to a volunteer fire departemnt after military service. I bought it three years ago from the VFD. It is not as original as my Dodge (it has an engine swap), but it, too, is a lot of fun to own and operate. It's rated as a 1.25-ton truck, and folks often refer to them as "five quarters." The M715 Zone is dedictaed to these trucks.

The Chevy CUCV pickups (commercial utility/cargo vehicles) from the '80s are also 1.25-ton trucks. Lots of off-the-shelf Chevy parts fit them and the CUCV Blazers from the same era.

Then there are the "deuce-and-a-half" trucks -- which is probably what most people picture when they think of a militray truck. The can often be had for relatively cheap for such a big truck, but the care and feeding of them could get expensive.

M-series jeeps occasionally come up for auction (M38A1s, mostly -- the CJ5 was the civilian version of the M38A1).

The M151 MUTTs are out there, too, as are a host of other military vehicles.

There are a few humvees out there for sale. They usually fetch pretty steep prices. A company in SC (I've never been there, but it's probably less than an hour from my house) has some at www.real4wd.com/content/hmmwv-vehicles.asp

The list could go on and on. Good luck in your hunt.

A note of caution: military vehicles can be addicting.Chris
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#45]
There's a guy around here with a british ferret, and that thing is so freakin cool. He paid like $10K for it and drives it all over the place. It's like having your own little mini-tank.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
There's a guy around here with a british ferret, and that thing is so freakin cool. He paid like $10K for it and drives it all over the place. It's like having your own little mini-tank.
www.military-vehicle.net/vcls/03-CC-08.b.jpg

I want one...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#47]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.mil let loose a few of the early ones then DOT got wind and made then get cut in half like the old jeeps

Why? not street legal?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I herd that when HUMMER formed, they went to clinton and requested an end to surplus hmmwv's, as to not under cut there market.

I have a surplus hmmwv and it is titled and on the road with no problems.  for what it's worth
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you, high?
Off road?
While being shot at?
With 10 of your friends?
Who are heavily armed?

AMEN on that one, even us cargo loaders put our share of abuse on the vehicles (when nobody is looking of course, but hey, we have to "drain some of the gas" they can only fly with under 1/3 tank.... so we "WHOOPS" a full tank and then have to proceed to drain it... this act works wonders for ATV fun : )

on the other hand, our dodge rams we use for our line trucks dont get abused at all, but they end up with a lot of miles and hours from driving to and from planes to deliver meals and such... they rarely get over 30 mph.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top