Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:17:53 PM EDT by kyreb]
My kid is USCG stationed in FL. Was wondering if military ID is OK if he wanted to buy a handgun in that state. He still has an OH DL.

Would appreciate comment from you dealers out there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
i've used my GCID for a gun purchase before, but you still need something with an address on it
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:05:18 PM EDT
Just bring in three months worth of Utility bills with the same addy and your name and you should be OK
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:11:03 PM EDT
He will need his orders assigning him to the state.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 6:26:17 PM EDT by JustinOK34]
+1 on Orders.

Edit - Never heard of bringing in three utility statements. Not saying that its inaccurate, but I've never had that to be a requirement, and I've bought guns in three states.

Also, for purposes of firearm purchases, military orders to a state (and they might have to be PCS, not sure) fulfill residency requirements.

Some people might not have utility statements with their name on it. (live on base, have a roommate, live off base but landlord pays bills, etc)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Unicorn:
He will need his orders assigning him to the state.

+1 As long as he has his orders to a unit there and two IDs he should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:20:12 PM EDT
Official answer: No. You can not, under penalty under the UCMJ, use your military ID, the DD Form 2, for anything other than official business, i.e. entry onto a controlled facility, etc.

Real world answer: Most of us use it for lots of stuff, especially when our home ID differs from our current location. He can flash the Military ID to show that there is a reason his ID is out of state, but he should take a copy of orders or 3 months of utility bills to prove residency. A lot of states consider 90-180 days of constant residency a resident of the state, regardless of what ID you carry.
Top Top