Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2012 2:52:04 PM EDT
So I have a question ARFcom,

My best friends brother, who is an Army Ranger, has no facebook pictures of him in gear or on deployment, has his occupation set as "Life and Fitness Consultant", and the only evidence of him even being in the military is a "like" of the 2nd Ranger Battalion.

But then, my friend in Army Intelligence (aka sits on a base and looks at computer screens all day (his words, not mine)) has all these pictures of him in combat gear with M4's and posing on bases in Afghanistan.

And my other friend in the National Guard has a profile picture of him in full combat gear, when I know he is a motor pool maintenance guy, and by his own account, only left base once in the 10 or so months he was in Afghanistan.

So the question is, is there some sort of rule that says rangers can't advertise online that they are rangers? or is it just strength of character and humility?

Any one else seen this phenomenon?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
OPSEC

I know a couple rangers who post ranger shit though.

Are you sure that guy is a real ranger? There are a lot of douches in the military who claim to be SF/Ranger/Seal/Delta/PJ etc

ETA: Do you know where he is stationed?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have a question ARFcom,

My best friends brother, who is an Army Ranger, has no facebook pictures of him in gear or on deployment, has his occupation set as "Life and Fitness Consultant", and the only evidence of him even being in the military is a "like" of the 2nd Ranger Battalion.

But then, my friend in Army Intelligence (aka sits on a base and looks at computer screens all day (his words, not mine)) has all these pictures of him in combat gear with M4's and posing on bases in Afghanistan.

And my other friend in the National Guard has a profile picture of him in full combat gear, when I know he is a motor pool maintenance guy, and by his own account, only left base once in the 10 or so months he was in Afghanistan.

So the question is, is there some sort of rule that says rangers can't advertise online that they are rangers? or is it just strength of character and humility?

Any one else seen this phenomenon?

Most people in the Army don't have pictures of them in gear as the profile pictures. I have very little pictures of myself in Afghanistan on facebook. Most of them are me being tagged in other peoples pictures

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
They less people talk the more involved they are normally.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OPSEC

I know a couple rangers who post ranger shit though.

Are you sure that guy is a real ranger? There are a lot of douches in the military who claim to be SF/Ranger/Seal/Delta/PJ etc

ETA: Do you know where he is stationed?

Positive he is a ranger. This is my best friends brother. The kind of best friend who calls my dad "dad" and I call his dad "pops". Might as well be my own brother we are talking about here, I just don't see him as much since he spends his leave in Houston where I grew up and I am in Oklahoma now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
There are no hard and fast rules, it runs the gamut through all jobs. The people who parrot the line about the how the true "operators" don't advertise need to come down to Fayettenam and hit the bars, or just drive around and look at some of the stickered up vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There are no hard and fast rules, it runs the gamut through all jobs. The people who parrot the line about the how the true "operators" don't advertise need to come down to Fayettenam and hit the bars, or just drive around and look at some of the stickered up vehicles.
Yep.

Moderation is the key. There's nothing wrong with being proud of what you do, but there is a douchebag line that can be crossed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are the normal and expected A type personalities who are attracted to the job because they really want to be able to say they are, and when they make it do in fact rail on about, but still in my experience a lot of guys don't.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I try to keep my military connection on the down low on Facebook. I haven't "friended" anyone I'm currently serving with and there's only 1 picture of me in uniform there.

I've had quite a few OPSEC-briefings and I'm always baffled by what people are willing to post on the Internet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are the normal and expected A type personalities who are attracted to the job because they really want to be able to say they are, and when they make it do in fact rail on about, but still in my experience a lot of guys don't.

Maybe my perspective is skewed by my location. But after living next door to the "Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces" for the last fifteen years has provided for a lot of examples from both camps.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I try to keep my military connection on the down low on Facebook. I haven't "friended" anyone I'm currently serving with and there's only 1 picture of me in uniform there.

I've had quite a few OPSEC-briefings and I'm always baffled by what people are willing to post on the Internet.

Whatever you put a giant red "A" on the side of your van. Remember kids, gold chains and a mohawk equals low profile.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe my perspective is skewed by my location. But after living next door to the "Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces" for the last fifteen years has provided for a lot of examples from both camps.

I would wonder how many of the stickered up cars are driven by 18X that are not all the way there yet?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
rangers are actually pretty good on OPSEC, unlike some other communities.
And yes.
Posers pose.
Its a known phenomina.

Wanna see my pics and vids?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Some guys just wear their service on their sleeve so to speak, some more loudly than others. Nothing wrong with it until they start lording it over other people. Some people are just more reserved.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would wonder how many of the stickered up cars are driven by 18X that are not all the way there yet?

Yeah, I bet the instructors at SWCS would get a hoot out of untabbed students rolling up with SF stickers all over their vehicles. I've seen a lot of flair on vehicles, but soldiers putting stickers on in anticipation of a badge, tab, or anything else is out there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

rangers are actually pretty good on OPSEC, unlike some other communities.

And yes.

Posers pose.

Its a known phenomina.

Wanna see my pics and vids?
Yep.

They are threatened with the wrath of fucking God. My friends in Regiment make me laugh when they're deployed.

They're so elusive on the phone, it's comedic.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have some mil pics in my photos, but not in my profile...profile is a pic of my son and I, hiking..
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I also don't wear moto-shirts in public.

I give them to family members and let them brag about me.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I bet the instructors at SWCS would get a hoot out of untabbed students rolling up with SF stickers all over their vehicles. I've seen a lot of flair on vehicles, but soldiers putting stickers on in anticipation of a badge, tab, or anything else is out there.

You know it happens. We had a guy with a triple canopy electric butter knife tattoo on his back at one point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a few deployment pictures on FB and my profile picture is from one of my deployments. I don't ever post stuff about the Marine Corps or deployments. I don't talk about serving in person unless asked. Most acquaintances don't know I served and I like it that way. Now on the other hand we had a guy about four months into the deployment that got tired of it, started bitching and moaning, not wanting to go on patrols, and generally just being a piece of shit and a pussy....  Guess what he does on Facebook? Constantly posts about how great Afghanistan was, how it was the best time of his life, how he loved it, always posts quotes about war etc etc. You'll meet these same people in real life too; constantly try to inject their military service in to any topic they can, always bragging and gloating. Be proud of your service but don't be a douche bag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have no facebook at all since I came back on active duty. OPSEC.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Most my military photo's are from training because that's the only time I had to take pictures!

From what I've seen, is at some points if you get high speed enough, no one will believe you due to saturation of posers.

Kind of like every Marine is a sniper.  I actually had a super bad ass PSD Contractor (retired out of Delta) shake my hand when I told him I was just a regular old 0311 Rifleman in the Marines.

He was all "Goddanm it's good to hear the Marines have ONE guy that's not a sniper!"   Apparently people try to BS him to get on his good side...

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
The only evidence in pics on FB of me being in the military were uploaded by other people.  One is me posing with a buddy in a B-hut, and another is me posing with another buddy at the "bar" at Manas as we were headed home.  The only way you can really tell is that we're wearing multicam.

Some of my likes and discussions would let you know that I'm military though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
back when I had my Facebook, I had some .mil pics up.

but the posers and my changing attitude towards being in the military, kinda changed it...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My brother is in special forces and they were told not to use facebook.  I'm not sure if that was a unit thing, a suggestion or what.  He doesn't advertise that he is SF on his facebook and I don't think he has even logged into it since before completing SFAS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a nephew who is a telephone repairman. I guess a lot of the phones in places with names ending in 'stan need fixed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont always POG, but when I do, I POG hard.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I can operate a mop bucket. That's about it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
.......I hurt somebody's feeling once
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
The less people talk the more they do, the more people talk the less they do
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

but the posers and my changing attitude towards being in the military, kinda changed it...

Don't you still have a Facebook?

ETA: Nevermind I see now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have no facebook at all since I came back on active duty. OPSEC.

You may not post on Facebook, but you've posted your picture, name, rank, and current location on AR15.com. The information is still out there, and people can easily fill in the blanks.

OPSEC and the internet are not compatible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess thats better than all the pictures i see the admin guys take...I swear you give them an M4 or M9 and they immediately go all "hood"
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I guess thats better than all the pictures i see the admin guys take...I swear you give them an M4 or M9 and they immediately go all "hood"

Hey, Grunts are gangsta too!

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you still have a Facebook?

ETA: Nevermind I see now.

sick of it dude, drama, libtards, politics..nonsense, I was getting spun up in that shit.
Facebook is too much like GD

but at least GD has the LULZ
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lucky. I just police call outside all day. You bastards got AC.

ETA: POGs tend to be the biggest posers, at least in my experience. Infantry tend to be proud of what they do, which is janitorial work, and don't see the point in making up shit for the internet to read.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky. I just police call outside all day. You bastards got AC.

ETA: POGs tend to be the biggest posers, at least in my experience. Infantry tend to be proud of what they do, which is janitorial work, and don't see the point in making up shit for the internet to read.

I had quite a few civilian friends in San Diego when I was in the Marines, and one thing they could never get over, is how calm my buddy and I were.  When asked what they meant, the said every Marine they normally see out it town is an asshole and starts fights, and really hype themselves up.  My buddy told him "It's simple, we're Infantry, we don't have to fight people out in town to know we're bad ass, we went to Iraq to prove it" (He was a MACHINE on a 240!!!!!).  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]
My brother doesn't make a big deal about being in the military but he also doesn't hide it, he gets tagged in a lot of pictures at unit events in uniform.  Of course, when he got his latest assignment, his regiment did a Google search on his name and found pictures of him from the Best Ranger Competition and were rather eager to have him report in...  Buncha treadheads needed someone with some RI experience to help train up for deployment...  There are NO military stickers on his jeep (especially not in Germany), the only thing he wears when not on duty that gives any hint to being military is he wears the Surefire hat with a Ranger tab on the back of it that was part of the bag of goodies he got after the Best Ranger Competition (no, he didn't place high enough to get any of the GOOD goodies, such as firearms).

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Buddy of mine just graduated the Q course. He changed his name on facebook.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I always judge a man's service by his facebook page.  

Actually having a proper facebook page if you are in the service is your #1 priority.   Facebook pages win wars and separate the men from the other men on facebook.  Like this one time I had a friend in the military and he had a facebook page with a bunch of pics of him in Iraq, but I totally dissed him because another guy I sort of know has a facebook page with no pics of him in uniform.  Honestly I really do not know how to tell which one of them is a more high speed low drag operator (HSLDO) because I cannot get enough info from their facebook pages.   They both have something called a CIB whatever that is (cute irish bunny?)  I have no clue about that sort of stuff, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this being a better serviceman thing and I know facebook is the key.

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Buddy of mine just graduated the Q course. He changed his name on facebook.

Buddy of mine is Intel, all but dropped FB entirely and is in the process of scrubbing as much as he can on his way to increasing cool guy status.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't think humility or character are a factor one way or another. Everyone is different, and the things they value about themselves are different. I have a facebook page. I use it for keeping in touch with family, and friends who are not nearby. The evidence of my service is only available only to my friends I served with. That is what we have in common. Ranger school doesn't make anyone super human. I just can't understand the skewed regard many people have for it. Ranger school is essentially a leadership school. Serving in a Ranger Regiment is no indication of quality of character. Some Rangers are good, decent, honest, dependable guys, some are not.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#44]
My best friend from high school is in the Air Force.  He has a couple of pictures of him in uniform and a cool one of him and some buddies standing in front of some wall (presumably in Iraq) with an old mural of Saddam on it.  Not too many pictures and nothing with him posing with machine guns or nuclear bombs, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#45]
one of my friends that was in the same unit as me in Germany went on to be a Ranger. Today he is in law enforcement and has PTSD. He is not ashamed to post pictures of himself while in the Army, both from my time with him and when he was a Ranger.

The only thing he did was change his name for the interweb, you would never find him with a search. In fact, he found me and he had to "prove" he was the same guy that I knew, that is what kind of crazy facebook name he had. He locked his account tight so only friends/family can see it. Just like I did for mine. Friends and famly only.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:49:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I always judge a man's service by his facebook page.  

Actually having a proper facebook page if you are in the service is your #1 priority.   Facebook pages win wars and separate the men from the other men on facebook.  Like this one time I had a friend in the military and he had a facebook page with a bunch of pics of him in Iraq, but I totally dissed him because another guy I sort of know has a facebook page with no pics of him in uniform.  Honestly I really do not know how to tell which one of them is a more high speed low drag operator (HSLDO) because I cannot get enough info from their facebook pages.   They both have something called a CIB whatever that is (cute irish bunny?)  I have no clue about that sort of stuff, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this being a better serviceman thing and I know facebook is the key.

[/sarcasm]

Cute Irish Bunny. Yes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#47]
The only mil pics I have on my FB account are from my first tour in the 1990's, none since I went back in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a coworker that convinced herself I was HSLD because I never talked about my military days.
It took forever to convince her that I never talked about it because I didn't do shit.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I know the douchebags with big mouths and egos regardless of service record are only amplified by social media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top