Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/12/2005 6:05:30 PM EDT
I'm sure you have all seen the advertisements for the military book club...I was wondering if any of you have done this...and what are your thoughts? There are quite a few books that I have been meaning to get....and if I can save some cash..I might wanna do it...

any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 6:11:28 PM EDT by DOW]
They're OK, but personally I prefer Amazon. Do a search for what you want then buy it used or new but from an outside seller (click on "used and new" to find cheaper sellers). You'll save lots of cash and not be obligated to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:16:21 PM EDT
Have you ever been a 'Columbia House' member?

if so, expect the same annoying thing
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:19:22 PM EDT
It's similiar to other book clubs. I've joined them (computer and military) here and there.

Here's what I do. Ymmv, though. I find some decent books that are included in the introduction and then buy enough to fullfill the contract and quit. It's been really good with the computer book club. I've got some decent book collections for less than what I would have paid at the store.

However, if you stay in and don't send in the card (not sure if they still do this or not) you start getting extra books you didn't want and have to send them back and hope your account is credited. Stay on top of it and it shouldn't be a problem.

However, the selection isn't the best and some sale items do not count toward your elrollement obligation. It also seems that some of the books are either a special run for the club or have cheaper paper or bindings than their retail counterparts (I know BMG records used to do that) but I'm probably mistaken about the books.

My recomendation is to get only books you really want in the intro (don't get a lot of books that only look intresting), then quickly fullfill the obligation, and then quit. Most of the time you'll get some special offers to rejoin. If there are books you really want, then rejoin, fullfill the obligation, and quit. Be careful not to buy books that you wouldn't go to the store and buy, else you'll have a lot of books you aren't really interested in reading.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:22:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOW:
They're OK, but personally I prefer Amazon. Do a search for what you want then buy it used or new but from an outside seller (click on "used and new" to find cheaper sellers). You'll save lots of cash and not be obligated to buy anything else.

I like that idea better. Especially if you know what you want. Else you end up with a lot of books that you might not read because you bought them because they were on sale or it seemed like a good idea. Yep, I have a few of them. I'll get around to them darn it. :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:23:50 PM EDT
Oh, I forgot, shipping on books is almost as bad as shipping on ammo. Both are heavy, especially when you get certification bundles or sets of books.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:26:46 PM EDT
The military book club is very good in my opinion. Good selections for the most part. Just join. I've been doing this for years. After I join, I get my 4-5 for the intro price, buy what is required in 12 -18 months (or less). After my obligation is up and the monthly notice comes in, I just reply to the effect that I want my membership canceled. About a month after I have requested cancellation of my membership, i join again, get 4-5 books for the intro price and start all over again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:12:55 PM EDT
If you don't mind being mass-junkmailed, it's OK. I did it once, fulfilled my obligation, and quit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:36:39 PM EDT
if you don't like amazon, try abebooks.com or alibris.com
you would be amazed how cheap some books sell for on the secondary market, and how much people will overpay on ebay etc
and if you have the option, get it shipped media mail, it's slower, but cheaper
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:17:26 PM EDT
I had constant problems with their billing department. I would just buy stuff from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:20:51 PM EDT
I like Amazon or Ebay. A lot of the books I'm looking for are out of print so Ebay is the only place that I see them with regularity.

I can find books I want locally at Barnes and Noble, then I look on Amazon for the (cheaper) paperback versions. Why pay $29+tax when you can pay $13+ shipping.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:14:21 PM EDT
+1 for Amazon and Abebooks.

Just ordered two new gun books from Amazon 30 minutes ago.
Top Top