Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
 Can you migrate a standalone XP Pro machine to a new domain and keep the user's documents and settings ?

I set up a new  Windows 2003 Server for a client in a large engine testing facility. When I try to migrate the individual user/logins to the server it succeeds but ALL their documents and settings are left behind on their local machine's account.

They all have tons of data and programs that need to move with them. Can it be done easily ?

Thanks, Paul.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you look for a MS or 3rd party migration tool?  Liek this -> Active Directory Migration Tool v3.0

Last resort, redo the old home directory's security to let the new account access that dir.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you look for a MS or 3rd party migration tool?  Liek this -> Active Directory Migration Tool v3.0

Last resort, redo the old home directory's security to let the new account access that dir.

No, I'm pretty rusty on my NT/2000 skills.    XP/2003 server , my first install. with 2003 Server.

Thanks I'll try that migration tool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
YES!

After you have moved the workstation to the new domain log in with the person who uses that workstaions's username, immediatly log back out.  Log in as the local administrator and copy the contents of the users old profile to the new profile (including hidden files and folders)

I've just done that to my domain, works perfect, all you need to do is re-map drives and printers to the new server.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top