Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 9:10:30 PM EDT
I will be looking at a 1994 F250 4x4 tomorrow. Long bed, extended cab. 7.5 liter gas engine (wish it was diesel). XLT package with captains chairs. Transmission was rebuilt 50k miles ago. Truck currently has 135k. Tires are highway Bridgestones with 50% tread. Everything works and looks to be in good shape. They are asking $3595 OBO which is about $150 under blue book in my area.

It's a single mom that needs cash and can't afford to drive it. I'm planning to offer $2600-$2800 for it. Assuming it's in nice condition and runs good, what would be a good deal on this truck? What are some common issues that I should look for?

The truck will be used as a back up to my diesel F350 and for plowing in the winter because I don't want to beat up on my diesel. I'll be doing a fair amount of plowing....

I already know mpg will suck, I expect about 10, but probably more like 5 when plowing.

Here is the truck, with several pictures:

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2538920531.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Offer $2000 I doubt she would say no.  If I was personally buying this Truck I was check for rust and Frame condition, and condition of fluids to see if they are burnt out from lack of maintence.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I will be looking at a 1994 F250 4x4 tomorrow. Long bed, extended cab. 7.5 liter gas engine (wish it was diesel). XLT package with captains chairs. Transmission was rebuilt 50k miles ago. Truck currently has 135k. Tires are highway Bridgestones with 50% tread. Everything works and looks to be in good shape. They are asking $3595 OBO which is about $150 under blue book in my area.

It's a single mom that needs cash and can't afford to drive it. I'm planning to offer $2600-$2800 for it. Assuming it's in nice condition and runs good, what would be a good deal on this truck? What are some common issues that I should look for?

The truck will be used as a back up to my diesel F350 and for plowing in the winter because I don't want to beat up on my diesel. I'll be doing a fair amount of plowing....

I already know mpg will suck, I expect about 10, but probably more like 5 when plowing.

Here is the truck, with several pictures:

You're planning to offer $1k under asking price and settle for $800 under asking? Stop wasting their time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Offer $2000 I doubt she would say no.

If she's dumb as a rock

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Offer $2000 I doubt she would say no.

More like why tear it up, it looks sweet!

Those trucks are pretty much bulletproof, check for the SRS light and both fuel pumps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were you, I would wait until I found a diesel that matched your specifications, since that's what you wish it was. The 460 is a great engine, though.

I would look out for the transmission. I can't stand my E4OD. Also, have a look at the front end. Those have the twin traction beam front ends. They love to wear out fast. My advice to you would be to wait until you found a Powerstroke F350 with a 5 speed. That way, you avoid the E4OD and the twin traction beam, since the F350's come with a monobeam Dana 60.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought an '89 F350 Dually with the 460.  It is a fuel chugging bitch.  Power for days, but she drinks a lot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is the truck, with several pictures

You're planning to offer $1k under asking price and settle for $800 under asking? Stop wasting their time.

He can easily get it for over $1k under I flip cars on craigslist all the time and lowballed $3k under plenty of times and made the deal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I already know mpg will suck, I expect about 10

I would guess closer to 8 depending on which transmission and rear end it has.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Is Misty hot?

I'd expect 3k for that truck.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I were you, I would wait until I found a diesel that matched your specifications, since that's what you wish it was. The 460 is a great engine, though.

I would look out for the transmission. I can't stand my E4OD. Also, have a look at the front end. Those have the twin traction beam front ends. They love to wear out fast. My advice to you would be to wait until you found a Powerstroke F350 with a 5 speed. That way, you avoid the E4OD and the twin traction beam, since the F350's come with a monobeam Dana 60.

I thought they switched back to straight axles on 250s in 91.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool..  Didn't know it was offered with a 460

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already know mpg will suck, I expect about 10

I would guess closer to 8 depending on which transmission and rear end it has.

Yep.  My 2wd with 4:10 rear gets 8.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they switched back to straight axles on 250s in 91.

My 1996 F-250 has a TTB Dana 50. I just got a transmission out of a '91 (I think, could be different, but it was definitely that generation, since it had a 7.3L IDI) that also had the TTB Dana 50. I don't think they put monobeams in F250s until the Super Dutys. I could be mistaken on that, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't rightly know myself.  I never owned one.  Just looking for donor trucks for a Jeep project and read that Ford went back to solid axles in the early 90's, but that could have been 1 ton only.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hard to find F350s of that era that are not crew cabs or dullys. Also the diesel trucks go for much more money and this one will overall be cheaper to maintain. And I've heard manual trannys suck for plowing...

I am worried about the front axle though, but I suppose swapping in a 60 wouldn't be too hard after it takes a shit?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to find F350s of that area that are not crew cabs or dullys. Also the diesel trucks go for much more money and this one will overall be cheaper to maintain. And I've heard manual trannys suck for plowing...

I am worried about the front axle though, but I suppose swapping in a 60 wouldn't be too hard after it takes a shit?

It'll bolt right up as long as you get all of the steering and suspension parts.

Edit: And braking components, hubs, and all of that stuff, too.
Edit2: Yeah, automatics are better for work, as long as you can keep them working properly. They can be very expensive. Some people love automatics, and I generally do, but I've struggled so much with my E4OD that I'm swapping in a manual. I'm freakin' fed up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Mmmm

Misty
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I will not plow with an automatic again.  My plow doesn't make me money, I can't afford to burn up transmissions in plow trucks.  I could put a new clutch in every year and be money ahead vs hiring someone to clear snow.  There's nothing hard about plowing with a manual.  Reverse, first, reverse, first, kinda like D, R, D, R in the slushbox just with a little foot action.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Ford's 460 was a damn good motor. I used a truck that was about the same year, crew cab long bed, non dually as a work truck and loved every minute of driving it, especially since I wasn't paying for gas Oodles of power, comfortable and there wasn't anything you couldn't fit in there. Never had a single problem with it.

Been giving serious consideration to hunting one down just like it do use as a DD and save up for a 6BT conversion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just bought an '89 F350 Dually with the 460.  It is a fuel chugging bitch.  Power for days, but she drinks a lot.

Yep!! If you buy it, the first thing you should look for is a gas station... Then stop at every one you see on your way home.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!! If you buy it, the first thing you should look for is a gas station... Then stop at every one you see on your way home.

Dual tanks plus a 44 gallon transfer tank on mine.  84 gallons to get me down the road.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dual tanks plus a 44 gallon transfer tank on mine.  84 gallons to get me down the road.

Almost all the way to the next gas station.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Downhill.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Downhill.

With a tail wind
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Anymore comments besides crappy fuel mileage?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top