Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2013 9:46:32 PM EDT
So my laptop screen has a distorted vertical section, about 1.5" wide right in the middle of the screen.  It comes and goes depending on the tilt of the screen or the main body, but it's starting to get worse.  At first I was able to jiggle the screen around or tap the hinge area and it would go away, but now the problem is more persistent.  

Do you think this is just a bad cable connection for the screen or is the LCD toast?  I've never repaired a laptop screen but wouldn't mind trying.  While it would be nice to salvage it, the computer is three years old so if I jack it won't be a huge deal.

I don't have a picture of the problem but I can probably post one later.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It could also be a video chip problem.  Most likely a cable, but those hook into the motherboard right near the hinge a lot of times so it could be the socket it goes in too. (In which case, you can't fix it.)

How much is a new screen for that laptop?

Have you looked on Youtube for a screen replacement tutorial?

For a 3 year old laptop, a screen is likely to be 1/2 to 1/4 the way to a new one.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It could also be a video chip problem.  Most likely a cable, but those hook into the motherboard right near the hinge a lot of times so it could be the socket it goes in too. (In which case, you can't fix it.)

How much is a new screen for that laptop?

Have you looked on Youtube for a screen replacement tutorial?

For a 3 year old laptop, a screen is likely to be 1/2 to 1/4 the way to a new one.....
View Quote

Actually, my follow up question is where is a good place to buy replacement LCDs?  I saw a few place that had the one for my laptop, but you had to ask for a price quote and minimum ordder was for 10 screens...
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]

screencountry.com

I've purchased quite a few from them a lot of laptops the screens are cheap 40 - 75 bucks though a few models can be pretty darn expensive.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If it changes with the tilt of the screen it's the cable. I've replaced them, no biggie.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it changes with the tilt of the screen it's the cable. I've replaced them, no biggie.
View Quote

this, try reseating the cable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
1. how technical are you? no offense intended, but i know too many people who think they can fix stuff. i had a coworker bring his toshiba laptop to me in a walmart bag because he couldn't get it working so he disassembled it, and gave me the pieces. turned out the hard drive was dead, but he did more damage by disassembling it

2. try to CAREFULLY reseat the cable. the small plastic hinge is very sensitive. if you break that you may be able to glue it back down, otherwise you're SOL

3. go to ebay for a screen. search for the laptop model number. i've replaced a bunch of screens from ebay parts, and i've sold them on ebay. some go for $10 some for $80 or so
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive done two screen replacements on my acer netbook and completely rebuilt 2 lenovo x series laptops over the years, and im not a techie by any means, they are pretty straight foward as long as you can be delicate and have good instructions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I've had this work more times than not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top