Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 9:40:28 AM EDT
My boys would like to go see the aircraft carrier on display in San Diego.  Does anyone know if there is an age or height limit to getting in.

I looked on the website, for those of you who will suggest I google the thing.  But there was no info on height or age limits.  But, I have heard from others who have been there that they thought there was a limit.  That is why I am asking.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been on several floating warship type museums and have never seen a age or size restriction. I'll tell you this though, carrying my 2 year old around the Yorktown last year almost broke my hump!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The only size restriction I've ever seen was 'too big'

They had a hatch on the quayside, and basically said 'if you can't fit through this hatch, you're not getting on board' (This was USS Growler, New York)

NTM
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a similar story...

I carried my 2-year old son throughout most of the aircraft carrier in Alameda (near Oakland, CA).  Man, I busted my hump doing that too. But, the look on his face when he woke-up on the aft, portside, AA batteries was price-less.

For the topic starter, I've never seen a size limit either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I went to the USS Midway last month, I did not see any height or age restriction.  

They do have realistic flight simulators (the kind that pilots use that move with the joystick to simulate motion) that might have a height restriction, but it was only a small part of the tour (I didn't go in them myself)
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
'Reminds me... My five year old was recently going on about going to see the "tank ship"
I had no idea what the hell she was talking about.... She's all like "
"When we went to see the tank ship"
"We were at the tank ship"
"We did this and that when we went to the tank ship."
Turns out she was referring to a WWII Tribal class destroyer moored nearby....
My wife had taken them on a tour one day while I was away....
hmcshaida.ca/
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't recall any "must be this tall " signs. Though some of the compartments open to look around in have short ceilings. Really a must see if in SD and all I can say about kids is keep an eye on them since they have a bunch of grumpy retired Squids that get mad if you spin around in the Captn's chair on the bridge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Not like it's an amusement park or anything :P
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I was stationed on the Midway from 1962 - 1965. I worked in V-1 division on the flight deck. I met three of my shipmates and we walked the decks of the Midway one more time, after 40 years. It was a memorable experience! I don't remember a height restriction.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The  Midway is a museum!? Damn. I remember when her home port was in Yokosuka. Her crew used to brag that with two Cats., they could launch as fast as any other crew with three. I never met anyone who served aboard the Midway that didn't love that ship.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The  Midway is a museum!? Damn. I remember when her home port was in Yokosuka. Her crew used to brag that with two Cats., they could launch as fast as any other crew with three. I never met anyone who served aboard the Midway that didn't love that ship.

I know PLENTY of guys who HATE that ship, especially after the side blisters were put on it.    

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
To everyone who responded, thank you.  

One of my boys picked out a toy aircraft carrier with little airplanes on it.  Now all the kids are into playing with it.  My sister lives in San Diego and it is time for another visit, so I wanted to take them to see the carrier.  I think they will love it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
A good link for the U.S.S.Midway is http://cv41.org. Lots of pics and movies covering all phases of life aboard the Midway.

Jim

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top