Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/14/2011 5:49:10 PM EST
Thinking about adding another hangar queen in the pole barn, and these pickups intrigue me. Is it even possible to find one of these diesel pickups in surplus that isn't all beat to shit? Believed they are called the M1008.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:31 PM EST
If you get the one I had at Ft Bliss.....

Pass.....

Fastest range truck ever
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:02 PM EST
I wouldn't...

But that is just me.

They need a good mechanic to keep them FMC.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By uxo2:
If you get the one I had at Ft Bliss.....

Pass.....

Fastest range truck ever

yeah, that's kinda where I was going with this.

vmax84

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:56:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I wouldn't...

But that is just me.

They need a good mechanic to keep them FMC.

I have a couple good friends who are great mechanics, but after the 4Runner disaster I put them thru, I may have wore out my welcome.

But funny how beer always seems to fade those rotten memories.

vmax84

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:00:07 PM EST
I have an M1009 Blazer. It has it's rust and things that don't work. I imagine alot of trucks off of government liquidation will be the same. For what I have in mine though, I will just beat on it around the farm. The 6.2 diesel gets good mileage, which has given me the idea to either find a civilian diesel Blazer in good shape, or find a Blazer in good shape with a tired motor. Since I have a 6.2L diesel in a crate, a swap could be done. Either way, I would be looking at something to get between 19 and 22 MPG. Considering my Dodge is getting 13 on the hwy, that would be a great improvement.

If you want the pickup, either get a civilian version or keep looking around until you find a good military one. You will probably pay more, but also probably get a decent truck if you find one being sold by someone. Check autotrader.com and craigslist.org. I have seen several there, especially craigslist

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:40:08 AM EST
Are those 6.2s any good? I've heard all kinds of good stuff about Cummins, Power Strokes, and Ford IDIs, but I've never heard anything about the 6.2s in the GM trucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:57:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Are those 6.2s any good? I've heard all kinds of good stuff about Cummins, Power Strokes, and Ford IDIs, but I've never heard anything about the 6.2s in the GM trucks.

I know just enough to be "dangerous", but I thought they were ok. Way better than the 5.7 liter "diesels" they were putting in the passenger cars, but I don't think you could put the 6.2 liter up against a Cummins.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:01:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:03:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

The 6.2s are slugs but are stone cold reliable. Good engines for a 4x4.

The 5.7 diesel was an abortion of an engine and should never be spoken of again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:30:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 2:32:57 PM EST by Sajer]
First you have to understand it is from the 80's and it will have some issues that may crop up. If you dont like dealing with some issues then get a newer truck and dont worry about it.

I have a very nice m1009 and it has not had any major problems so far, thank God. Yes, they can have electrical issues and yes they are not going to win any races, but they are just plain fun to drive for a no frills vehicle. The m1008 trucks are geared very low so max speed on them is about 55 or 60, so not a communting truck on the highway. The blazer will do 70 easy, but takes a bit to get there.

If you want something to bang around with and want a deisel and like the idea of an old military truck, then get it. If you just want to drive a beater some days then get something newer. Either way both will have some mechanical failures at some point.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:04:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sajer:
First you have to understand it is from the 80's and it will have some issues that may crop up. If you dont like dealing with some issues then get a newer truck and dont worry about it.

I have a very nice m1009 and it has not had any major problems so far, thank God. Yes, they can have electrical issues and yes they are not going to win any races, but they are just plain fun to drive for a no frills vehicle. The m1008 trucks are geared very low so max speed on them is about 55 or 60, so not a communting truck on the highway. The blazer will do 70 easy, but takes a bit to get there.

If you want something to bang around with and want a deisel and like the idea of an old military truck, then get it. If you just want to drive a beater some days then get something newer. Either way both will have some mechanical failures at some point.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/P1020999.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/P1020723.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/P1020722.jpg

That is really sweet!!! Can I ask where you got it from?

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:08:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 5:11:44 PM EST by Sajer]
I looked for one for about a year before finding this one. I bid on a few through Government Liquidators and ebay along with a few members on steel soldiers who were selling them Problem was buying something site unseen, ebay and GL, and transportation costs.

With the GL i set a certain price based on what I thought I could afford to deal with if it was not the best unit, but always got outbid for the ones nearest me. So I found a place called motorsource north of chicago that gets them in from time to time. When i went he had 6 m1009's and 1 m1008. He prices them slightly higher than what I wanted to pay, but after going there and test driving most of them and looking them over I shot a price and had cash in hand. He just had a bunch up there , so you may want to look him up and see what's there and again check back often as he hand picks them for as little rust as possible.

Decent guys to deal with and most of the guys that work there have one of the M1009's as a toy. They also repaint some of them so take that into consideration if you go and look at them as it may mask another problem. Honestly when I looked the only one I would not have tried to drive home, or worried more about it, was a camo model that was leaking anti freeze pretty bad and started pretty rough in the "0" degree weather at the time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:18:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sajer:
I looked for one for about a year before finding this one. I bid on a few through Government Liquidators and ebay along with a few members on steel soldiers who were selling them Problem was buying something site unseen, ebay and GL, and transportation costs.

With the GL i set a certain price based on what I thought I could afford to deal with if it was not the best unit, but always got outbid for the ones nearest me. So I found a place called motorsource north of chicago that gets them in from time to time. When i went he had 6 m1009's and 1 m1008. He prices them slightly higher than what I wanted to pay, but after going there and test driving most of them and looking them over I shot a price and had cash in hand. He just had a bunch up there , so you may want to look him up and see what's there and again check back often as he hand picks them for as little rust as possible.

Decent guys to deal with and most of the guys that work there have one of the M1009's as a toy. They also repaint some of them so take that into consideration if you go and look at them as it may mask another problem. Honestly when I looked the only one I would not have tried to drive home, or worried more about it, was a camo model that was leaking anti freeze pretty bad and started pretty rough in the "0" degree weather at the time.

Thanks a lot for all the good info. :)

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:31:36 PM EST
Good luck finding a surplus one straight from the .mil that hasn't been beat to shit. I know because I drive government vehicles like I fucking stole them and so does everyone else I work with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:38:37 PM EST
I have a 1009 and a 1028. The -28 is slow as shit but a great runner. Very clean, and had the military applied corrosion proofing. Nicely heavy duty. Bought it thinking Florida BO: crashing through fences and yard and whatnot. Buddy keeps it at his place away from the salt.

The 09 I think will have some issues as the seller took it fording in brakish water. I cleaned the crap out of it and liberaly applied WD-40, light oil, and whatever else was handy all throughout.. Had the 24V starter rebuilt (270 bucks!!!) without knowing they can be bought from NAPA. I think for starting issues I'd go the Roscocommon route and convert to 12V with a hi-torque starter from Summit and a manual glowplug relay.

These vehicles may be for sale.
Top Top