Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 1:08:35 PM EDT
Story Link

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. –– Microsoft Corp. and the chief rules enforcer for Xbox Live are apologizing to a small West Virginia town and a 26-year-old gamer accused of violating the online gaming service's code of conduct by publicly declaring he's from Fort Gay –– a name the company considered offensive.

The town's name is real. But when Josh Moore tried to tell Seattle-based Microsoft and the enforcement team at Xbox Live, they wouldn't take his word for it. Or Google it. Or check the U.S. Postal Service website for a ZIP code.

Instead, they suspended his gaming privileges for a few days until Moore could convince them the location in his profile, "fort gay WV,'' wasn't a joke or a slur: It's an actual community of about 800 in Wayne County, along West Virginia's western border with Kentucky.

<more in the link>
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
"Fort Gay has been a community since 1789" and was known for having the best-decorated stockade fort on the frontier.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Come on!

If this was Apple banning someone over "Fort Gay" it would be good for a 5 page thread.

Then again, Apple doesn't ban gay.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
More suprised that someone took the time to write that article.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Bunch of PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"Fort Gay has been a community since 1789" and was known for having the best-decorated stockade fort on the frontier.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bunch of PC bullshit.

duh.  It's Microsoft.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Come on!

If this was Apple banning someone over "Fort Gay" it would be good for a 5 page thread.

Thats because....... uhh fuck apple.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am supposing they missed the 12 year old screaming "Your faggot mom sucks ****** cocks" over and over on MW chat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Come on!

They would alienate 87% of their computer market consumers.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Moore, an unemployed factory worker who plays shooters like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Ghost Recon under the gamertag Joshanboo...Moore....missed a key Search and Destroy competition because of last week's brief suspension. His team lost.

I've got $1000 that says this guy is a 99er.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm sure it's fabulous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know how I know you are from Microsoft?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am supposing they missed the 12 year old screaming "Your faggot mom sucks ****** cocks" over and over on MW chat.

This is exactly why I don't play Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, MW 1/2, or any of those types of games online anymore. I sign in and the first thing I hear is "**** you you ****ing ******* I'll **** your mom and sister as I pwn your homo *** up and down this *****!"

Got annoying after a while. Yea, there are some good servers out there, but it's mostly this crap that runs rampant. So now I generally play these types of games just single player or on campus with a few friends.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Good thing he doesn't live on Negro Mountain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, dont take it as a sign that you fucking need to go find a job. Instead, spend days fighting some company so you can play your video games!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I named all of my video game characters Captain Ass.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All players under 16 with chat function should be required to be hooked up to electrodes. They would receive a shock every time someone over 21 hits their shock button.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#20]
They used Bing to try and find the town, and couldn't, no doubt...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Two more words: Enola Homosexual.

Wow, I googled it.

ETA; I guess my 57 year old cousin will have to change her first name so no one gets offended.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Two more words: Enola Homosexual.

And in other news, Seattle Mariners' pitcher Homosexuallord Perry was finally inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bunch of PC bullshit.

duh. It's Microsoft.

That's fucking hilarious!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Moore, an unemployed factory worker who plays shooters like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Ghost Recon under the gamertag Joshanboo...Moore....missed a key Search and Destroy competition because of last week's brief suspension. His team lost.

I've got $1000 that says this guy is a 99er.  

+1 Get a job and put the crack pipe down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

no shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top