Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/27/2004 3:01:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/27/2004 3:01:49 PM EST by Happyshooter]
Michigan, like most states, has a worker's compensation system. Under this system, you can't sue your employer for getting hurt at work (unless he did it, to you, on purpose) but you get your medical care paid for and also get a percentage of your pay for as long as you are out of work, no matter what you were doing at work to get hurt (goofing off, horseplay, disobeying safety orders).

The supreme court just ruled that if you are an illegal (mexican usually) and get hurt working on a fake SSN card and driver's license, which they all use, then you still get health care paid for to get treatment, and you can't sue the employer, but...get this... the illegal can't collect any pay!

The liberals are super pissed off. Rallys and riots to follow.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:29:47 PM EST
BTT
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:41:43 PM EST
I wish our courts would rule that way!
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:44:46 PM EST
In Michigan you can sue your employer but if you win you have to pay back all workmens comp and any medical benifits you received.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:21:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By bobwrench:
In Michigan you can sue your employer but if you win you have to pay back all workmens comp and any medical benifits you received.

Bobwrench

418.131 Exclusive remedy; exception; “employee” and “employer” defined.
Sec. 131.

(1) The right to the recovery of benefits as provided in this act shall be the employee's exclusive remedy against the employer for a personal injury or occupational disease. The only exception to this exclusive remedy is an intentional tort. An intentional tort shall exist only when an employee is injured as a result of a deliberate act of the employer and the employer specifically intended an injury. An employer shall be deemed to have intended to injure if the employer had actual knowledge that an injury was certain to occur and willfully disregarded that knowledge. The issue of whether an act was an intentional tort shall be a question of law for the court. This subsection shall not enlarge or reduce rights under law.

(2) As used in this section and section 827, “employee” includes the person injured, his or her personal representatives, and any other person to whom a claim accrues by reason of the injury to, or death of, the employee, and “employer” includes the employer's insurer and a service agent to a self-insured employer insofar as they furnish, or fail to furnish, safety inspections or safety advisory services incident to providing worker's compensation insurance or incident to a self-insured employer's liability servicing contract.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:57:56 AM EST
Good ruling!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:16:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:23:04 AM EST
Shocking.

We get one right for a change.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:25:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Good ruling!

No, it would be a good ruling if they would have added that, while they will recieve medical treatment, that after they have recovered to the point that they are able to be transported, they will be immediately sent back to where they came from and the country of their origin will be billed for all expenses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:06:34 AM EST
The only illegal aliens we get in Michigan are from Canada, eh?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:13:13 AM EST
Or Taylor . . .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:17:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:18:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 11:20:09 AM EST by 82ndAbn]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:49:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Good ruling!

No, it would be a good ruling if they would have added that, while they will recieve medical treatment, that after they have recovered to the point that they are able to be transported, they will be immediately sent back to where they came from and the country of their origin will be billed for all expenses.

You got that right.

At least they started in the right direction.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:54:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 12:05:52 PM EST by legalese77]
I haven't read the case but I have read similar cases. The rulings I have seen do not say that the illegal cannot collect any pay or that any pay they have collected can be disgorged or even that they couldn't get back pay which was actually earned. The only pay that is uncollectable is the back pay that was not actually earned but which would have been earned but for the wrongful actions of the employers. If the case referenced changes that, I'd love to see the citation.

eta: seriously...if this case changes the law as I understand, I encourage someone to IM the citation to me so I can review it...thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:27:34 PM EST
Finally some common sense!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:53:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Hooray for Michigan, hooray for the Supreme Court!

DOOM to the dirty, nasty, libs!

2nd That
Top Top