Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:16:49 AM EDT
Dig this:

"Beware of strange men with rocket launchers
Michelle Malkin

July 27, 2005

This week, New Jersey Transit officials joined the New York Police Department in performing hapless random searches of Granny's knitting bag and Junior's Thomas the Tank backpack to prevent the next al Qaeda attack.

But not everyone is fighting the War on Terror blind. Some U.S. military personnel have been given a very clear and un-p.c. mission:

Be on the lookout for Middle Easterners carrying rocket launchers.

Yup, that's right. Many readers have e-mailed me about a recent report floating on the Internet that reveals military concerns about a suspicious trio of Middle Eastern men who apparently pointed a rocket launcher at low-flying aircraft near Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma earlier this month. It's authentic. Battle Staff Directive No. 41, categorized as "For Official Use Only," was issued at Hill Air Force Base in Utah last week to raise a red flag about the incident at Tinker AFB:

"On 14 Jul 05, three individuals were observed outside of the perimeter of Tinker AFB, OK. They were looking through binoculars, taking pictures and one appeared to be holding a large weapon at chest level. The weapon appeared to be aimed towards a low flying aircraft. The three individuals were described as being of Middle Eastern descent and left the area when approached. The weapon was later identified as a rocket launcher (MANPAD) and the low flying aircraft to be a B-1 Bomber. FBI in Oklahoma City and AFOSI [Air Force Office of Special Investigations] determined the threat to be credible."

Someone leaked the directive to a website called Soldiers For The Truth (sftt.org), and it was picked up by another site, the Northeast Intelligence Network (homelandsecurityus.com). Tinker AFB staff and FBI officials remain tight-lipped about the incident. But Capt. Sean Carter, a public affairs officer at Hill AFB, verified the directive for me.

In a phone interview, Capt. Carter told me the memo was issued to let base personnel know that "there's a threat out there somewhere" and to inform them of what to look for to guard against possible terrorist activity. Hill AFB participates in the "Eagle Eyes" program, an anti-terrorism initiative launched by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations that "enlists the eyes and ears of Air Force members and citizens in the war on terror."

The threat of an al Qaeda attack using shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles has been of increasing concern to homeland security officials. Last year, the FBI arrested two imams in Albany, N.Y., in connection with a sting operation involving laundered funds that the defendants were led to believe were proceeds from the sale of a missile launcher to be used in a New York City terrorist plot. Federal prosecutors noted during the trial of convicted al Qaeda bomb plotter Wadih El-Hage that his role entailed "conveying military orders from Bin Laden including . . . seeking weapons including Stinger missiles for al Qaeda members." In 2002, al Qaeda terrorists used two Russian-made Strela missiles to try and bring down an Israeli-chartered airliner departing from Mombasa, Kenya.

That effort failed, but the terrorists will no doubt try, try again. Hundreds of Stinger missiles have gone missing since the first Persian Gulf War, according to the General Accounting Office. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., noted last year that "there are an estimated 300,000 to one million shoulder-fired missiles in the world today -- thousands are thought to be in the hands of terrorist and other non-state entities." Thomas B. Hunter of Jane's Intelligence Review reported: "Al-Qaeda reportedly possesses a number of MANPADs, including SA-7s and Stingers. . . . It is logical to assume that Al-Qaeda is in possession of additional MANPADs. If this is true, then Al-Qaeda represents the most significant threat to international civil aviation."

Washington has been squabbling over whether and how much money to spend on retrofitting all 6,000 planes in the American commercial fleet with electronic countermeasures to combat the threat. In the meantime, common-sense vigilance is the best defense.

Thankfully, military watchdogs on guard against Islamist terrorists with rocket launchers know better than to stop Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan look-a-likes with Louis Vuitton pet carriers strapped around their shoulders.

Michelle Malkin is a syndicated columnist and maintains her weblog at michellemalkin.com"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:19:57 AM EDT

Thankfully, military watchdogs on guard against Islamist terrorists with rocket launchers know better than to stop Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan look-a-likes with Louis Vuitton pet carriers strapped around their shoulders.

Bet your bottom dollar that at some point the other side will start using people like this to carry out their evil deeds.

In Vietnam, they used kids to blow up unsuspecting GIs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:21:09 AM EDT
I'll also be suspicious of Middle-easterners carrying AKs or bombs strapped to their bodies at the local supermarket or the Mall of America...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
Are these more tests? Or were they going to shoot a bomber down on landing or takeoff?

That this occurred right here in the US of A tells me that they're not done yet.

(IF true. There was a big flamewar on Fark about this one... Mostly because she's a conservative and therefore the forked-tongue devil to the libtards there...)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Bet your bottom dollar that at some point the other side will start using people like this to carry out their evil deeds.

In Vietnam, they used kids to blow up unsuspecting GIs.

Man that would be a shame, if Paris Hilton was to blow herself up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:43 AM EDT
So was the rocket launcher a live rocket? Or just a tube?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:33:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
So was the rocket launcher a live rocket? Or just a tube?

Unknown. I can't find a followup...

FWIW, here's the Fark.com flamewar on the subject... Mostly focusing on Malking being a Conservative and therefore to be the same as something you'd scrape off your shoe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:56:22 AM EDT
Just speculation, but it might have been a training mission with a dummy tube that can be fairly readily found. They're waiting for live ordinance, which is probably the hold-up. but until then, they probe security, practice techniques, etc. I dread the day they actually have missles to fire.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:05:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Just speculation, but it might have been a training mission with a dummy tube that can be fairly readily found. They're waiting for live ordinance, which is probably the hold-up. but until then, they probe security, practice techniques, etc. I dread the day they actually have missles to fire.

That's what I'm thinking. Practice until they get the real deal.

Because I firmly believe if they had one. They would use it. Or do a combined attack by hitting several airports at one time all over the country.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:08:17 AM EDT
We had a thread on this last week -- some folks posted the "BS" flag until a LEO said he had received an alert fax on the subject. The wording of the "directive" threw a lot of people off, but if Michelle talked to someone on base and they confirmed it, it must have happenned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 7:09:23 AM EDT by macman37]

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

They might figure if they hardly get a response from the .mil, it'll be a cakewalk if they do that at a few civvie airports around. (heck I'm probably 30 miles from Detroit Metro airport and sometimes they route planes over my head for a while... You can see probably 8 or 9 at any one time)

Actually, have any of our .mil members heard anything about this? If it's true you'd think there would be a general increase in security because of it... Without giving anything away of course. Opsec before general interest.

Edit: thanks to jkstexas2001 and his sweet Equalizer avatar I struck the above.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:15:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:
I'll also be suspicious of Middle-easterners carrying AKs or bombs strapped to their bodies at the local supermarket or the Mall of America...

I'm suspicious of ALL Muslims and Middle-easterners.

I'm not willfully blind to the fact that we're at war specifically with MUSLIM terrorist organizations, not just simply "terrorists".

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:22:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:

I'm suspicious of ALL Muslims and Middle-easterners.

I'm not willfully blind to the fact that we're at war specifically with MUSLIM terrorist organizations, not just simply "terrorists".

I just hope nobody gets profiled. God forbid you inconvenience anyone that looks like the terrorists do.

(FWIW In that Fark thread I referenced someone mentioned an American black Muslim in full garb that would walk up to buildings and leave a package behind... When guards called her on it she'd grab the package and run off... Haven't heard anything about this past that post...)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:02:35 AM EDT
Dang, I thought they'd use a fitty.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:46:25 AM EDT
Wait for the day when the "authorities" scare the kid, pat down the old lady, feel up somebody's wife or daughter, but let the Middle Eastern Male with a bomb through without a glance, and people get killed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:07:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
Wait for the day when the "authorities" scare the kid, pat down the old lady, feel up somebody's wife or daughter, but let the Middle Eastern Male with a bomb through without a glance, and people get killed.

It'll be Bush's fault somehow. Even if he's been out of office for 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:15:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
Are these more tests? Or were they going to shoot a bomber down on landing or takeoff?

That this occurred right here in the US of A tells me that they're not done yet.
(IF true. There was a big flamewar on Fark about this one... Mostly because she's a conservative and therefore the forked-tongue devil to the libtards there...)

Oh, they're NOT done yet, alright.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:19:46 AM EDT
Dry run.

Gather intel.

Report to base.

Acquire device.

Await confirmation.

Execute plan.

I'm thinking our next attack will happen before the year is out.

HS1
Top Top