Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:07:56 AM EDT
So the wife and I are looking for a fuel efficent vehicle for her to drive. I drove a hybrid space car thing, a civic and a turbo Miatia. The Miata has a 1.4 liter engine so it has to get good milage. they want 15 grand and it has 5000 miles on it. It's fun to drive and reminds me of a MGB GT I used to have.

So the question, Miata, gay or not?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:52 AM EDT
If it's for her, it's ok. If a guy buys it, I hear they stick a rainbow sticker on it before it leaves the lot.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:23:04 AM EDT
Since they give you a pink ascot when you buy it, I'm thinking..... GAY!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:24:50 AM EDT
Mega gay for a guy.

If you want a convertible, buy a Corvette or a Mustang.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:35:54 AM EDT
Nice performance. And popular with the driving magazines.

But if you want the true answer to your question you have to think if you ever remember seeing a guy driving a Miata, did it seem gay to you?

It does to me.

However, since it's the wife's car...what the hell. Go for it.

Just make sure the license plate says something "HER CAR" or "ITS HERS", just in case you are ever seen driving it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 5:59:05 AM EDT by cheaptrickfan]

There are two kinds of "gay" - there is the "gay" as in homosexual, and then the "gay" as in lame/stupid/whatever.

Okay?

Gay Person = that's the human sexuality "gay"

Gay shirt, Gay car, Gay coffee cup = that's the lame/stupid/whatever "gay"

A miata is pretty much thought of as a gay car. It is a pretty decent car, small, somewhat sporty with the right engine/tranny, but the gay factor took hold a long time ago.

On the other hand, how gay is a corvette? Well, considering that most of the guys the drive 'em are (allegedly) compensating for other things in their life, and they feel a "big, strong" car will make them look macho - well, that's gay too. Same with redneck trucks with big ole tires, mud flaps with the nekkid woman on 'em, the confederate flag and Ernhardt/Nascar stickers - just a little boy trying to be thought of as tough and cool, but - yup!! that's gay too. The same thing can be said for motorcycles, the more "gay" about the bike, the less appealing it is.

The PT Cruiser is also pretty gay, as is the new Chevy that kinda sorta looks like it.

Oh, having a bunch of shit on your key ring, if you're a guy, is pretty gay. Look at a woman's key ring, see all the shit attached to it? All the key ring doo-dads? If a guy does that - yup, it is gay!

eta - the gay factor has taken over every vehicle!!

Mercedes convertable? nope, its gay.

Porsche 911? again, it is gay!

Probably the only non-gay vehicle is a 1978 Ford pickup truck in ORIGINAL condition. If the truck has been "pimped out" or given a redneck makeover, then it is gay!

Shit, even my car is gay! OH - NOOOO!!!!!

I'm kidding. The miata is a pretty decent car, and I hope your wife likes it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:43:36 AM EDT
I can put it in the back of my F 350 drive to wherever and unload it. She is talking picnic baskets and wine. OMFG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:05:34 AM EDT
My wife has one and it is a great little car. It handles extremely well, is reliable, and gets so-so mileage (high 20s). My wife loves the thing.

I think the Miata is better described a "chick" car than a "gay" car. In fact, Mazda is making a stupid mistake in the marketing of the redesign of the Miata they released for 2006. The advertising features a male driving it. More women than men drive the Miata, and in many cases more women than men can AFFORD the thing. Wishing this away ain't going to make it happen.

Incidentally, her Miata (2003) was made in Hiroshima. If the Miata is gay...I guess that means if Hiroshima is gay by association... then the atomic bomb was gay. Tibbets must had trouble flying that B29 with his limp wrists. Hold the phone! The bomb was dropped by the ENOLA GAY! It must be true!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:10:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
My wife has one and it is a great little car. It handles extremely well, is reliable, and gets so-so mileage (high 20s). My wife loves the thing.

I think the Miata is better described a "chick" car than a "gay" car. In fact, Mazda is making a stupid mistake in the marketing of the redesign of the Miata they released for 2006. The advertising features a male driving it. More women than men drive the Miata, and in many cases more women than men can AFFORD the thing. Wishing this away ain't going to make it happen.

Incidentally, her Miata (2003) was made in Hiroshima. If the Miata is gay...I guess that means if Hiroshima is gay by association... then the atomic bomb was gay. Tibbets must had trouble flying that B29 with his limp wrists. Hold the phone! The bomb was dropped by the ENOLA GAY! It must be true!

And now you know THE REST OF THE STORY!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:11:27 AM EDT

I think the Miata is better described a "chick" car than a "gay" car.

Agreed. But when a dude drives a chick car, it's the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 6:13:19 AM EDT by PosterChild]

True. But, guy driving chick car = gay.

Edited to add: Beat by 33 seconds!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:17:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 6:33:11 AM EDT by Cheesebeast]
What is that a picture of? It looks like an airborne chili pepper.

Hold on. Maybe I don't want to know. I have learned on ARFCOM that certain knowledge can become a burden.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:36:12 AM EDT
I see a little roadster, fun to drive, good engine, trans, good MPG, soild history.
I guess the car is as gay as you make it.

Me thinks some here profess too loudly about a car being gay. What are they hiding ?

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures
him to evil ways.
Buddha
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
Inexpensive heterosexual roadsters should be old and British. My first major purchase when I finish this degree is going to be a Triumph TR-6. THAT'S a manly roadster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:48:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TxLewis:

And now you know THE REST OF THE STORY!!!

TXL

OH GN0ES#@!#!(@

We dropped teh ghey on Japan!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:58:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TxLewis:
If it's for her, it's ok. If a guy buys it, I hear they stick a rainbow sticker on it before it leaves the lot.

TXL

what he said
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:21:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 9:15:38 AM EDT by cheaptrickfan]
According to gay.com, these are gay cars!
The Top 10
* Jeep Wrangler
* Subaru Outback
* Jeep Grand Cherokee
* BMW X5
* BMW 3-Series
* Saab 93
* Mazda Miata
* Ford Mustang
* Ford Ranger
* VW New Beetle

According to gaylife.com, the miata is not even listed
Top 10 Gay Cars
* BMW 5 Series Sedan
* Saab 9-5 Wagon
* Kia Sorento
* Chevrolet Impala
* Mini Cooper
* Honda Element
* Chrysler 300C
* Pontiac G6
* Subaru Outback
* Ford Focus

Whatever you do - DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:45:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 8:10:23 AM EDT by mm34b]
I had a 2002 Miata but sold it when I retired. I couldn't justify having it along with a SUV since I no longer drive nearly as much. It was very nice on twisty roads. My favorite was Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC with 318 curves in 11 miles. Much better handling than high powered cars such as Mustangs and Corvettes in that kind of environment since there's no need to brake as much for turns. With its much lower and balanced weight, you can safely keep your speed up through very tight turns without sliding into the other lane. Reminds me of a go-kart. However, it's not a good car for interstate highway travel, in my opinion due to the stiffer suspension and tight quarters.

The way it is driven determines if it is gay or not. Drive it like it was intended to be driven, not like grandma's Camry. I've lost track of how many SCCA's Showroom Stock National Road Racing Championships the Miata/MX5 has won over the past 15 years but it's quite impressive.

There is also a huge aftermarket of performance parts available from private companies as well as from Mazda's racing division, Mazdaspeed. You can go from mild to wild for relatively little money. V-8 Miatas are not unheard of. Replacement tires and a more open cat-back exhaust make a big difference. I liked the The Toyo® Proxes T1-S tires and the Good-Win Racing Roadstersport exhaust. The best Miata/MX-5 web forum is www.miata.net. Tons of info on all aspects of ownership.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:13:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jcncc:
So the wife and I are looking for a fuel efficent vehicle for her to drive. I drove a hybrid space car thing, a civic and a turbo Miatia. The Miata has a 1.4 liter engine so it has to get good milage. they want 15 grand and it has 5000 miles on it. It's fun to drive and reminds me of a MGB GT I used to have.

So the question, Miata, gay or not?

girl +miata=stripper....guy + miata = very,very GAY
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:21:19 AM EDT
Miata's are the woman's sports car. If your wife wants it, go for it.

If you want it, don't waste your money. They handle like they're on rails, but the engines are slugs. If you want a sports car, buy a real one. I just don't see how anyone can get excited over a 16 second roadster. They can be made fast, but no offense, I don't see any point in using one as a starting point.

I don't know if I'd call it gay, but it's definately for the limp wristed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

If you want it, don't waste your money. They handle like they're on rails, but the engines are slugs. If you want a sports car, buy a real one. I just don't see how anyone can get excited over a 16 second roadster. They can be made fast, but no offense, I don't see any point in using one as a starting point.

Well, you have to keep it in the context of the price. Speed costs money. How fast can you go for less than 21K?

A brand new 2006 "Club Sport" MX-5 model has a MSRP of $20,435. For that you get a rock-solid, reliable, cheap-to-keep (insurance & upkeep), 2-seater ragtop sportcar with a 0-60 mph of 6.5 seconds, 131 mph top speed and a quarter mile of 15 seconds flat at 91 mph according to Car & Driver mag's 2005 road test. What's the alternative????

I personally would rather have a Honda S2000, but that's almost an additional $10,000.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:56 AM EDT
There is a lesbian city council rep in a certain city in Texas who drives a red Miata.

Oh yes, cheaptrickfan, the Miata IS on your first list. Number 7 down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:22:23 AM EDT
I have a 92 Miata. Black with tan top. Black hardtop for cold weather.

It is a great car for fuel efficiency.

People can think whatever they want. As a straight man that shoots high caliber rifles accurately at great distance, I am comfortable with my decision.

Plus, my really hot fiance likes how aggresively I drive it on winding roads.

Not gay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:43:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 10:14:21 AM EDT by Keith_J]

Originally Posted By bigscrun:
This thread is Ghey.

Not as ghey as some Miata owners.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:56:15 AM EDT
Nah, it's fine for a woman to drive one of those.
I wouldnt' think a chick was gay for driving one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:35:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mm34b:

Well, you have to keep it in the context of the price. Speed costs money. How fast can you go for less than 21K?

A brand new 2006 "Club Sport" MX-5 model has a MSRP of $20,435. For that you get a rock-solid, reliable, cheap-to-keep (insurance & upkeep), 2-seater ragtop sportcar with a 0-60 mph of 6.5 seconds, 131 mph top speed and a quarter mile of 15 seconds flat at 91 mph according to Car & Driver mag's 2005 road test. What's the alternative????

I personally would rather have a Honda S2000, but that's almost an additional $10,000.

Get a V6 Mustang for that price. Similiar performance. Much less gHey.
My wife has one. Very impressed with it.

-Steve
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:16:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stevenb:

Get a V6 Mustang for that price. Similiar performance. Much less gHey.
My wife has one. Very impressed with it.

-Steve

No, I'm talking about a reliable, soft-top, 2-seat roadster with the same or better performance (acceleration/braking/handling/steering) for under $21K new. The V-6 Mustang doesn't meet that criteria. The only car out there at the moment that comes close is the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, but it needs a few years of tweaks and refinements before it can be competitive, if ever, with the MX-5.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:16 PM EDT
Now were talking the Pontiac is way cool. I bet you don't get the rainbow sticker with that one. I wonder what kinda incentives they have? I do miss my MGB GT.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 3:49:15 PM EDT by mm34b]

Now were talking the Pontiac is way cool. I bet you don't get the rainbow sticker with that one. I wonder what kinda incentives they have? I do miss my MGB GT.

No current cash rebates, financing offers or leasing deals on the Solstice.

I had a 1969 Triumph GT6+. My parents paid $3,300 for it new. What year was your BGT?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:02:38 PM EDT
I learned to drive in a midget in 1970 we got the Gt in 71. It's a first love thing, that's why I got such a kick out of driving the Miata. Only took me 36 years to get to the point were I can write a check for a roadster now.

I raced TR6's before we smoked them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:31:19 PM EDT
Listen you dumasses who thing that sports car means low 0-60 time and nothing else: The Miata is a hands down unbeatable performance value, with performance being biased towards steering, haneling, cornering. It is not quite as good as a BMW Z or M coupe or even the Honda S200 but in no camaro, mustang ever has even come close to approaching the handling quality and sense of connectiveness one has in a miata. It is true that alot of fags drive them, and stupid girls, both of whom probably drive it like grandma's camry, but when you drive it like it is designed to be driven, as a canyon carving street legal go cart, it can't be beat except in spending at least $7000 more for another rear wheel drive roadster. It isn't a muscle car by anymeans, just a go kart for grown ups (btw, to say a car handles like a go cart is the highest form of flattery).

That being said, a miata w/ an automatic transmission is gayer than elton john riding a unicorn across a rainbow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:38:56 PM EDT

I learned to drive in a midget in 1970 we got the Gt in 71. It's a first love thing, that's why I got such a kick out of driving the Miata. Only took me 36 years to get to the point were I can write a check for a roadster now.

I raced TR6's before we smoked them.

I've noticed a lot of former owners of the Triumph Spitfire, GT6, TR-6, MGB, MGB-GT Midget, Fiat 850, X-1/9, Austin-Healy Sprite and Jensen-Healy of the 1960s and 70s have bought Miatas in their 40+ years. The Guinness World Book of Records officially the Miata/MX-5 as the best-selling two-seat sports car in history.

What year Miata are you looking at?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT
2004 1.8 turbo Miata. It got 5000 miles and corners better than any car I have ever driven. I refuse to wear a pink ascot and I carry a 1911. It's a great litle roadster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:53:49 PM EDT

2004 1.8 turbo Miata. It got 5000 miles and corners better than any car I have ever driven. I refuse to wear a pink ascot and I carry a 1911. It's a great litle roadster.

Notoce he does not mention that he does not like cock....

kidding. I never thought Miatas were gay. VW new Beetles and PT Cruiser OTOH....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:54:50 PM EDT

I respect your confidence. Many guys would preclude themselves from the joy of owning a truly fun to drive sports car b/c they are insecure.

I don't have a miata b/c I can only afford to have one all purpose car right now which includes a back seat etc. But I make due w/ my BMW 3 series. But if I could make due w/ a roadster I would.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:55:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:

kidding. I never thought Miatas were gay. VW new Beetles and PT Cruiser OTOH....

what is OTOH?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:06 PM EDT
One other nice thing about the Miata, if it is in your budget to have a toy car, you can get an old one and a supercharger kit for under 10k for unmatched econo fun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

Originally Posted By yekimak:

what is OTOH?

On the other hand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT by mm34b]

Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
Listen you dumasses who thing that sports car means low 0-60 time and nothing else: The Miata is a hands down unbeatable performance value, with performance being biased towards steering, haneling, cornering. It is not quite as good as a BMW Z or M coupe or even the Honda S200 but in no camaro, mustang ever has even come close to approaching the handling quality and sense of connectiveness one has in a miata. It is true that alot of fags drive them, and stupid girls, both of whom probably drive it like grandma's camry, but when you drive it like it is designed to be driven, as a canyon carving street legal go cart, it can't be beat except in spending at least $7000 more for another rear wheel drive roadster. It isn't a muscle car by anymeans, just a go kart for grown ups (btw, to say a car handles like a go cart is the highest form of flattery).

The same folks probably wouldn't understand what all the hoopla is about over the Lotus Elise. Especially, for $43,000+, if you can find a dealer that has one in stock for sale.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:06:05 PM EDT

The same folks probably wouldn't understand what all the hoopla is about over the Lotus Elise. Especially, for $43,000+, if you can find a dealer that has one in stock for sale.

a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Lotus/100681522/20031414-E.jpg

The Elise is a fine tuned sports machine. The Miata is a mass production econobox that can hold it's own in the turns. There are no similiarities between the two except they are both roadsters. Handling isn't all that makes a good track car, and unlike the Miata, the Lotus can actually get out of it's own way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:15:06 PM EDT

a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Lotus/100681522/20031414-E.jpg

The Elise is a fine tuned sports machine. The Miata is a mass production econobox that can hold it's own in the turns. There are no similiarities between the two except they are both roadsters. Handling isn't all that makes a good track car, and unlike the Miata, the Lotus can actually get out of it's own way.

I would certainly hope so, considering it cost an additional $22,000 over the MX-5 Club Sport.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:42 PM EDT
I currently own a 400 hp GTO, and the Miata was the funnest car I ever drove. My ex GF had one and I used to drive the shit out of it. Learned what a rev limiter was from driving that car.

If you're reason for not buying a car hinges on what a bunch of '84 Dodge Omni driving gunfags think, then you're probably not going to want one.

The shifter on the Miata is amazing for a stock car, it handles like a go-kart, and has more than sufficient power for the twisties.

The V6 versions of the American muscle cars can't hold a candle to the Miata.

That said, if you have the fundage I'd opt for a Solstice, but on a budget the Miata is a great buy. There is also a ton of aftermarket out there for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT

You know, 15K for a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata is a very good price. Did you do a Carfax check on it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:21:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR-180:
I have a 92 Miata. Black with tan top. Black hardtop for cold weather.

It is a great car for fuel efficiency.

People can think whatever they want. As a straight man that shoots high caliber rifles accurately at great distance, I am comfortable with my decision.

Plus, my really hot fiance likes how aggresively I drive it on winding roads.

Not gay.

I have the same, but a '93. I have had it since new and it was my daily driver for 11 years. Added white Kosei 15X7s last year. Really helped the handling. Its now our fun car. My wife drives it more than I do these days, but I still love it. Gay? No, although I pretty much refuse to take another guy anywhere in it for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 5:34:31 PM EDT by mm34b]

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
I currently own a 400 hp GTO, and the Miata was the funnest car I ever drove. My ex GF had one and I used to drive the shit out of it. Learned what a rev limiter was from driving that car.

If you're reason for not buying a car hinges on what a bunch of '84 Dodge Omni driving gunfags think, then you're probably not going to want one.

The shifter on the Miata is amazing for a stock car, it handles like a go-kart, and has more than sufficient power for the twisties.

That said, if you have the fundage I'd opt for a Solstice, but on a budget the Miata is a great buy. There is also a ton of aftermarket out there for it.

The Solstice is basically the same price as the current MX-5. Pontiac sole reason for the Solstice was the Mazda from day one of the planning. Hence, the same basic price region.

Many Miata/MX-5 competitors have come and gone over the years since the Mazda's introduction. The Solstice may actually be worthy if Pontiac can get the reliability, fit and finish up to equal standards. After the ill-fated Fiero, it's a real big question mark. I don't think they will, but I hope so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By in_burrito:

IIRC, there's a member here who's quarter mile times are even quicker than your GTO. I only know of two people on this website who drive Omnis. One is fast and the other hauls around machine guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:27:18 PM EDT

The Solstice is basically the same price as the current MX-5.

Read the original post

they want 15 grand and it has 5000 miles on it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:27:53 PM EDT
Okay had one last talk with the wife and we both love it. I will write the check in the AM. May not be up to some of the muscle cars I have owened but heck I'm getting old and will groove on the roadster design.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:31:25 PM EDT
get it! its like having a pink shirt, it's the confident guy underneath that can kick ass and draw down on the unworthies...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top