Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 4:40:17 PM EDT

A Miami-Dade police officer has died after a horrific car crash early this morning on the Turnpike.

The officer, 23-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, was struck on the southbound side of the road just after 4 a.m.

Several officers responded to the scene, finding the Gonzalez's patrol car severely damaged on the driver's side.

Firefighters attempted to save the officer, cutting him from the twisted wreckage of his squad car, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gonzalez was assigned to Miami-Dade police's Kendall district.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum issued a statement, saying: "My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Gonzalez's family, his fellow officers and those who knew him as someone dedicated to public safety."

"The Miami-Dade Police Department has lost a fine public servant." McCollum said, according to the Miami Herald.

Sadly he died because of his own mistakes..... speeding in a marked patrol car. Not responding to a call in progress.... nothing like that. Just high speed careless driving. I'm not trying to insult my fellow officer. I am simply using his death as a lesson for other folks here and other LEOs like me. Our badge and our patrol cars aren't excuses to speed. Please drive safely and follow the posted speed limits.

His accident and death was a result of speeding and colliding into a dump truck. Yes, we all go a little faster then the posted speed limit of 55mph. But please remember, that doing 90mph will only shave off a minute or so..... it's not worth your life. If you or I aren't respond to a priority call.... please drive the speed limit. If it's a priority call.... please drive as safely as possible while responding. Remember.....we can't serve and protect if we ourselves wreck and die.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers sent for Family and Friends.  
RIP Officer Gonzalez  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
RIP Brother
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top