Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
That had to hurt, gives a whole new meaning to "tapping the sack"

Miami-Dade officer shoots man in groin during traffic stop

News partner NBC 6
Posted January 24 2006, 4:00 PM EST

MIAMI -- An investigation is under way after a Miami-Dade officer shot a man in the groin during a traffic stop Tuesday morning, news partner NBC 6 reported.

According to a police news release, officers were working with the Miami-Dade Police Department Robbery Interdiction Team in the area of Northwest 12th Street and Second Avenue when they witnessed what they believed to be a firearm given by a male on the street to the driver of a Nissan Altima.

The officers stopped the vehicle and asked the men inside to keep their hands in sight.

Police said the driver co-operated and kept his hands raised, but the passenger fumbled with something under the seat and then produced a shiny object they believed was a gun.

"The passenger kept making several attempts underneath the seat, kept refusing the officers' request," said Joey Giordano, of Miami-Dade police. "The officer saw him pull something out and the officer fired one shot, striking him in the groin."

The passenger, described as a Hispanic man in his 50s, was taken to Ryder Trauma Center in stable condition.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-124groinshot,0,4974341.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
So what the hell was under the seat?  Great reporting job there.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the guy was asking for it. Still, that's gotta hurt
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if it was that cop in the bathroom in Reservoir Dogs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That's got to hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like the guy was asking for it. Still, that's gotta hurt

We have a possible Dawrin Award candidate here, folks!!  If this man had not yet had children and has to have false 'boys' installed then he is a candidate!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess we don't have to worry about him breeding

Wonder if a gun was found.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Oops.

Shoulda kept the hands where the cops could seen em.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I too wonder what was under the seat. I would have probably shot him in the head though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Where's Chris Rock when you need him?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Witnesses say he was reaching for a pair of roller skates.

I would say quit fumbling for shit.
Maybe the request was in English, guy didn't comprende, and was trying to get his id?
Who knows.  Pays to learn the language, don't it?

No, I heard it was a soda can
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well at least there will be one person in Dade county obeying the traffic suggestions.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate it when that happens......this may leave a mark
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
cop must have thought it was the damn dog he was reaching for.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Maybe a a Pocket PC with a Spanish to English translator program.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I too wonder what was under the seat. I would have probably shot him in the head though.

There were passengers, think of the angle.  Head shot may pass through or miss, groin shot is a quicker takedown than the chest and less chance of hitting bystanders.  Cop done great IMHO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
That is NOT gonna "buff right out"!!!

CO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Really doesn't matter what it actually was, you only get a split second to make that decision. What the cop needs is more marksmanship training. If the guy was going for something under the seat it appears the officer may have been looking and therefore aiming at what he was pulling out instead of COM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Witnesses say he was reaching for a pair of roller skates.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really doesn't matter what it actually was, you only get a split second to make that decision. What the cop needs is more marksmanship training. If the guy was going for something under the seat it appears the officer may have been looking and therefore aiming at what he was pulling out instead of COM.

If the angle of the shot was indeed from the driver's side window, he probably couldn't see the head at all, and didn't have much of a shot at COM. This may have been the best shot there was under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the angle of the shot was indeed from the driver's side window, he probably couldn't see the head at all, and didn't have much of a shot at COM. This may have been the best shot there was under the circumstances.

Hard to tell with the lack of details. We could also be talking about the cover officer taking the shot from the passenger side.

My point was meant really as a word of caution to those of us who use guns in a self-defense role. If you zone in on the gun your hands follow your eyes making COM shots difficult.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The only problem I see is that in Florida, a pedestrian giving a gun to a motorist is nobody's fucking business. Unless you know that one or the other is disqualified from possessing a gun, it gives rise to the same suspicion that a pedestrian giving a motorist a napkin dispenser would justify. Guns are not contraband in Florida, not even in Little Cuba.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a case of too stupid to live to me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The only problem I see is that in Florida, a pedestrian giving a gun to a motorist is nobody's fucking business. Unless you know that one or the other is disqualified from possessing a gun, it gives rise to the same suspicion that a pedestrian giving a motorist a napkin dispenser would justify. Guns are not contraband in Florida, not even in Little Cuba.

Interesting point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
He must have been reaching for his brass balls. To bad they are now shot off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Well you gotta remember that the police chief down there in Miami is an ex-NYPD higher up and is one of the Brady Campaign's favorite people to quote when it comes to gun control. This was the same guy's department that wanted to randomly check people's identification on the sidewalks in Miami as an anti-terrorism drill/measure. Wouldn't be surprised if his anti-gun philosophy is oozing down through the ranks.

Here is one of my favorite quotes by him:

Many proponents of the 1994 ban are police officers and other members of law enforcement. They believe that their day-to-day experience adds credence to the empirical research findings. "Since the Assault Weapons Ban was enacted, we've seen a 66% decline in the number of banned assault weapons traced to crimes," said Miami Police Chief John Timoney. "That means there would have been 60,000 more crimes involving assault weapons in the last ten years. If the ban expires, we will see a return to the horrific violence that plagued our streets during the late '80s and early '90s."

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

But he'll remember this lesson for a long (er short) time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Dude, you post, by far, some of the most interesting (and well thought out) responses on Arfcom.  Using ludicrous examples in order to better riducule something idiotic is a hobby I thought I had the market cornered on.

Then I came to Arfcom and started reading your posts.

Bravo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top