Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 7:31:49 PM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060124/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/migrant_maps

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer Tue Jan 24, 6:27 PM ET

MEXICO CITY - A Mexican government commission said Tuesday it will distribute at least 70,000 maps showing highways, rescue beacons and water tanks in the Arizona desert to curb the death toll among illegal border crossers.

The National Human Rights Commission, a government-funded agency with independent powers, denied the maps — similar to a comic-style guide booklet Mexico distributed last year — would encourage illegal immigration.

Officials said the maps would help guide those in trouble find rescue beacons and areas with cell phone reception. The maps will also show the distance a person can walk in the desert in a single day.

"We are not trying in any way to encourage or promote migration," said Mauricio Farah, one of the commission's national inspectors. "The only thing we are trying to do is warn them of the risks they face and where to get water, so they don't die."

Russ Knocke, a spokesman for the U.S.
Homeland Security Department, questioned whether the maps would keep those crossing the border safer.

"It is not helpful for anyone, no matter how well intended they might be, to produce road maps that lead aliens into the desolate and dangerous areas along the border, and potentially invite criminal activity, human exploitation and personal risk," he said.

And some advocates of greater immigration control were irritated by the map announcement.

"What's next? Are they going to buy them bus tickets to Chicago?" said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington-based think tank. "It's clearly a bad thing for Mexico to be encouraging illegal immigration."

The comic booklet for migrants was distributed by the government in early 2005 and warned of the perils of crossing illegally into the United States, while offering tips to stay safe.

The booklet, of which about 1.5 million were printed, enraged some advocates of stricter immigration policies in the United States who argue that it encouraged illegal migration.

Farah said his commission was simply trying to prevent deaths and estimated that around 500 Mexicans died trying to cross the border in 2005. Many die in the desert, where summer temperatures soar above 100 degrees, and many drown while attempting to cross the Rio Grande river.

The commission plans to hang the poster-size maps in March in places where migrants will see them, such as migrant-aid groups, the commission's offices and in Mexican border towns.

They were designed by the Tucson, Ariz.-based rights group Humane Borders, which operates some of the desert water stations. The group previously distributed about 100 posters in the Mexican border town of Sasabe.

The Rev. Robin Hoover, president of Humane Borders, said maps are needed in southern Mexico so migrants can weigh the risks before leaving home.

Some of the posters have warnings, such as "Don't go. There isn't enough water," but officials conceded many migrants were unlikely to heed the advice.

Knocke said the United States had increased personnel and surveillance along the border to discourage illegal crossings and immigrant smugglers.

"Our message should be clear: we are securing our borders and we're dramatically increasing the likelihood of apprehensions," he said.

Farah said migration "is a human right" and that "the United States should be grateful" the commission is doing something to curb the death toll, because "hundreds of thousands of Mexicans help maintain their economy."

Mexicans working in the United States are a huge source of revenue for Mexico, sending home more than $16 billion in remittances in 2004, Mexico's second largest source of foreign currency after oil exports according to the country's central bank.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
it would be a shame if someone  got a map of where the rescue beacons and water tanks are and got to them before the illegals did
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to America...What a freakin joke.  Who's running this country?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it would be a shame if someone  got a map of where the rescue beacons and water tanks are and got to them before the illegals did

a real shame...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
saw that on  lou dobbs last night. he was PISSED!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Frankly, It's a slap in the face of the US. I'm f**kin' sick and tired of the blatant disregard for US laws and sovernty by illegals and most of all our government officals.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't this make it easier to find them?

Book: "GO HERE."

Border Patrol reading book: "Maybe we should look there."
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wouldn't this make it easier to find them?

Book: "GO HERE."

Border Patrol reading book: "Maybe we should look there."

Huh . . . LIVE FIRE RANGE!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
...and to think there's a chance I may move to El Paso soon to work in Juarez.

Sigh....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Y'all are gonna be pissed, but look at it this way:

Some countries have oil, or gold, or bauxite deposits, or forests, or an industrialized region that produces goods that are in demand. Some countries, like ours, are primarily service-based.

Countries like India, China, and yes, even little Mexico have one thing above all else: labor. That's their comparative advantage.

So even if it pisses us off, and it's against our laws, if you were Juan sitting in some slum outside Mexico City, and you knew there was work in El Norte, would you just sit there and try to get used to your poverty?

I'm not saying they aren't a burden on our healthcare system, or that some break our laws (besides immigration ones), or anything else.

I'm just saying, don't be pissed at them for wanting a little piece of what we've already got--be pissed at our leaders, of both parties, who are not working to create a solution, but instead kicking the can down the road. That's the real shame.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how many people get on a thread like this and bitch, but won't take the time to call and or send an email to their government representatives?  This is my challenge to those of you who have not done so.  Let them know you think it is a huge problem and that you will not vote for them if they vote for legislation that gives amnesty or helps illegals.
You can go to sights like this to keep informed and easily send emails and get phone numbers to contact  the asshats in Washington.
http://www.fairus.org

DO IT FOR OUR CHILDREN!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I find it odd that a country's govt will actually help their own citizens to leave --->>> China, Russia, and former Germany, and similar did not do this....they trapped their people inside their borders.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
.... Maps smaps

... We are now considering building WiFi towers and docking stations every square mile for those with laptops. Each refuge comes complete with a small on-board PC fitted with a GPS receiver and Google-Earth software.

... Each illegal immigrant will be able to look for available jobs and apply for on-line them before they make it into town. Many will even have a Western Union kiosk to wire tax-free American dollars home.

... In five years we'll have a network of light-rail system to shuffle them about
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Move the rescue beacons and water towers fuck em
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a real shame...

Yes, that would be terrible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
This is all part of the aid packages that the American taxpayer funds.

We give mexico foreign aid, and a certain percentage of it is used to help illegal aliens come here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sigh....

Hey, you're only going there to do a job Mexicans won't do.

ETA: Or are you looking for a better life for you and your family?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey here is an idea; use the maps to find the illegals (sarcasm off) It would be nice if the Border Patrol would do just that. Then again, how about claymores and bouncing bettys in those areas as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Today I am less worried about the illegal workers coming over than I am about the Mexican government sending their military across to run drugs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Contacted all elected officials.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Why haven't we declared war, again? We've done it for less.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#22]
In order to make border crossing more... interesting... we should continually move the water tanks and other things the libs want us to provide to the illegals, you know turn the border crossing into a treasure hunt too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Y'all are gonna be pissed, but look at it this way:

Some countries have oil, or gold, or bauxite deposits, or forests, or an industrialized region that produces goods that are in demand. Some countries, like ours, are primarily service-based.

Countries like India, China, and yes, even little Mexico have one thing above all else: labor. That's their comparative advantage.

So even if it pisses us off, and it's against our laws, if you were Juan sitting in some slum outside Mexico City, and you knew there was work in El Norte, would you just sit there and try to get used to your poverty?

I'm not saying they aren't a burden on our healthcare system, or that some break our laws (besides immigration ones), or anything else.

I'm just saying, don't be pissed at them for wanting a little piece of what we've already got--be pissed at our leaders, of both parties, who are not working to create a solution, but instead kicking the can down the road. That's the real shame.

You bring up a valid point, but if there were consequences to coming here illegally, and if the red carpet from our side wasn't rolled out for them, ol' Juan there might reconsider his options.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a real shame...

Or if someone were to accidentaly let all the water out of the tanks.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh....

Definitely the former. They're too STUPID to do the job I can do.

The thing is, there aren't too many Americans who can do what I can down there, either. Or at least WILLING to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

They won't listen to the public. Only to the ones padding their pockets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just what I was thinking. Damn shame!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Remember what the Russians did to Afghani wells? It would be...Unfortunate...if some one were to do the same here
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Farah said migration "is a human right" and that "the United States should be grateful" the commission is doing something to curb the death toll, because "hundreds of thousands of Mexicans help maintain their economy."

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a real shame...

Or if someone were to accidentaly let all the water out of the tanks.....

and then perhaps mistake these water tanks for urinals
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

or if someone switched that map with one that had everything 50 miles off
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh....

Definitely the former. They're too STUPID to do the job I can do.

The thing is, there aren't too many Americans who can do what I can down there, either. Or at least WILLING to.

I live in El Paso and I've turned down jobs in Juarez that pay more. Spending 2-3 hours going over the bridge and coming back every day is a pain, plus the actual having to work in Juarez is not something I want to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I find it odd that a country's govt will actually help their own citizens to leave --->>> China, Russia, and former Germany, and similar did not do this....they trapped their people inside their borders.

Starting with the brilliance here too?  A lot of countries that are people rich and assets poor encourage and help their citizens to find jobs elsewhere and send the money back.

Mexico, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Philippines, and many others.

Or are you going to ask me to prove it, since you find it odd?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.... head.gif

Hey, you're only going there to do a job Mexicans won't do. h.gif

he
The thing is, there aren't too many Americans who can do what I can down there, either. Or at least WILLING to. hinking.gif

I live in El Paso and I've turned down jobs in Juarez that pay more. Spending 2-3 hours going over the bridge and coming back every day is a pain, plus the actual having to work in Juarez is not something I want to do.

Juarez is one nasty city, I wouldn't want to work there. I used to live in Mexico and this shit is pissing me off. Who wants to come to AZ with me to take a dump in a water tank
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top