Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 6:53:30 PM EDT
US won't deport illegals, whats new about that?

Mexico: U.S. Has Agreed Not to Prosecute Undocumented Migrants Affected by Katrina
The Associated Press
Sep 2, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB0CCP85DE.html
MEXICO CITY (AP) - The United States has agreed with a request from Mexico to not prosecute undocumented Mexican migrants affected by Hurricane Katrina who recur to U.S. officials for help, President Vicente Fox said Friday.
"We have agreed with the government of the United States that those who were not documented at the time will not be subject to any pressure or persecution whatsoever," Fox said during a government event Friday afternoon.

"In this way, they can receive help from the American authorities, they can approach the authorities to point out what they've lost and, above all, to ask for support."

Mexico estimates that about 40,000 Mexicans were living in Louisiana, the majority in New Orleans, which was devastated by the hurricane.

Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said Friday that Mexico would set up temporary consulates near the disaster area to help Mexicans and Central Americans alike affected by the storm. Officials did not have reports of any Mexican deaths, but 87 citizens were reported missing, Derbez said.

He added that Mexico also was ready to send immediate assistance to the United States, but was just waiting for the go-ahead from officials there. The aid will include Navy ships, food and medicine, amphibious vehicles and health and rescue personnel, the foreign secretary said.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
40,000 in La?  wtf?

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so don't prosecute them... but send their bus to Mexico, not Houston.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping for a man bites dog type of story where Mexico won't prosecute Americans for fleeing to Mexico for relief.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some of the illegals that have blanket immunity because they were in a disaster

Mexican workers who don't speak English surviving
Ana Radelat
Clarion-Ledger Washington Bureau
September 4, 2005
www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050904/NEWS0110/509040364/1260
HATTIESBURG — Francisca Lourdes Lopez is one of Hurricane Katrina's hidden victims.

A member of south Mississippi's growing Hispanic population, spawned by the growth of the state's poultry industry and a pre-storm building boom on the Gulf Coast, Lopez said she and most of the people living in her apartment complex did not know Katrina was heading her way until it was too late.

"By the time we realized what was happening, we didn't have time to buy extra food or go somewhere else," she said.

She said a couple of city workers came by the James Street Apartments last Sunday, where she and about 350 other Hispanics live. They distributed fliers in Spanish, warning of the storm and advising of the precautions residents should take.

"That was it, and we haven't seen anyone else come by since," she said.

Since the storm hit, Lopez and thousands of other Hispanics with limited English skills have struggled to understand what is happening around them.

Lopez can't understand the public service announcements and steady stream of advisories on the radio telling storm victims where to get ice, water, generators and other necessities.

Since most are undocumented workers from Mexico, local Hispanics are loath to ask city officials or the police for help, even when the trash Dumpster in the apartment building is overflowing with reeking garbage and a band of youths threaten to siphon gasoline from their cars.

"We don't want to buy anymore trouble," said Marco Antonio Alvarado. "We'd rather take care of things ourselves."

Alvarado said James Street Apartment residents cleared fallen trees themselves and sawed them into pieces to burn in hibachis.

"The only thing we need is help with more food for the children," he said.

Adding to the desperation, most of the local Hispanics are out of work, with 10 of Mississippi's 14 poultry-processing centers shut down and construction at a standstill.

"We send most of our money home to family members who depend on it, and now we don't know when we'll be able to do it again," Alvarado said.

In Laurel, a houseful of about 18 Mexican immigrants watched in horror Monday as Katrina almost entirely destroyed a grove of trees across the street.

"We didn't know anything about this until Sunday, when they told us a bad storm was coming, said Pedro Ramos. "And nobody told us it would be this bad."

Ramos said Laurel's Hispanics have survived, thanks largely to a couple of "bodegas," or Hispanic stores, in town, La Veracruzana and Michoacan, which have supplied them with food.

Sometimes they get tips where they can buy other needed supplies.

Elvira Maldonado said she raced to the store to buy disposable diapers for her 3-month-old daughter after a friend told her the Wal-Mart in Hattiesburg was open.

"It's really hurts not to know English," she said.

U.S. Census figures from 2000 say about 40,000 Hispanics were living in Mississippi, but many believe there are many more here now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, so let's not prosecute them. We'll just bus 'em back to the border and say adios.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay, so let's not prosecute them. We'll just bus 'em back to the border and say adios.

Works for me
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tough luck, guess you should have learned to speak our language then.  I'm sure I am joined by so many others in feeling sorrow for you illegally being in my country and living off my dime.  I think I agree with everyone else on sending their busses right back to Mexico.  Hell, we can even let Mexico keep the damn busses.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree, feed them, give them water, put them on a bus and don't stop till it's at the Mexican border.

One thing I will say for them, it sounds like they're trying to take care of themselves instead of waiting on the US .gov to help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, so don't prosecute them... but send their bus to Mexico, not Houston.

Good one
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:04:37 AM EDT
[#10]
don't let the flood water hit you in the ass on the way out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
what bothers me most about this is that mexico didnt even offer to take back those without housing or jobs. instead they just work out a deal where we house and feed them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Who do you think is going to rebuild New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
what bothers me most about this is that mexico didnt even offer to take back those without housing or jobs. instead they just work out a deal where we house and feed them.

FUCK MEXICO, our neighbor to the south isn't our ally or friend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#14]
They came here to work right? I say round them up pay them the wages from the country they snuck in from and put them to work picking up crap from the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#15]
You gotta be fucking kidding me.

That's it, America has already died and all that's left are the people who haven't realized it yet and the people who have been sodomizing her corpse for decades now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]

And let's keep it that way.
No services/business/whatever in spanish.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who do you think is going to rebuild New Orleans.

The MEXICAN MAFIA
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What a great opportunity to send 40K illegals back, instead they will stay and have their hands out for all the taxpayer $$$ they can get.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]
"...In Laurel, a houseful of about 18 Mexican immigrants..."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top