Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2005 4:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:18:00 PM EDT by Airwolf]

And the shooting war along the border moves one step close to reality.

washingtontimes.com/national/20050801-122047-2623r.htm

Mexican mercenaries expand base into U.S.

By Jerry Seper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
August 1, 2005

A renegade band of Mexican military deserters, offering $50,000 bounties for the assassination of U.S. law-enforcement officers, has expanded its base of operations into the United States to protect loads of cocaine and marijuana being brought into America by Mexican smugglers, authorities said.

The deserters, known as the "Zetas," trained in the United States as an elite force of anti-drug commandos, but have since signed on as mercenaries for Mexican narcotics traffickers and have recruited an army of followers, many of whom are believed to be operating in Texas, Arizona, California and Florida.

Working mainly for the Gulf Cartel, one of Mexico's most dangerous drug-trafficking organizations, as many as 200 Zeta members are thought to be involved, including former Mexican federal, state and local police. They are suspected in more than 90 deaths of rival gang members and others, including police officers, in the past two years in a violent drug war to control U.S. smuggling routes.

The organization's hub, law-enforcement authorities said, is Nuevo Laredo, a border city of 300,000 across from Laredo, Texas. It is the most active port-of-entry along the U.S.-Mexico border, with more than 6,000 trucks crossing daily into Texas, carrying about 40 percent of Mexico's total exports.

Authorities said the Zetas control the city despite efforts by Mexican President Vicente Fox to restore order. He sent hundreds of Mexican troops and federal agents to the city in March to set up highway checkpoints and conduct raids on suspected Zeta locations.

Despite the presence of law enforcement, more than 100 killings have occurred in the city since Jan. 1, including that of former Police Chief Alejandro Dominguez, 52, gunned down June 8, just seven hours after he was sworn in. The city's new chief, Omar Pimentel, 37, escaped death during a drive-by shooting on his first day, although one of his bodyguards was killed.

Authorities said the Zetas operate over a wide area of the U.S.-Mexico border and are suspected in at least three drug-related slayings in the Dallas area. They said as many as 10 Zeta members are operating inside Texas as Gulf Cartel assassins, seeking to protect nearly $10 million in daily drug transactions.

In March, the Justice Department said the Zetas were involved "in multiple assaults and are believed to have hired criminal gangs" in the Dallas area for contract killings. The department said the organization was spreading from Texas to California and Florida and was establishing drug-trafficking routes it was willing to protect "at any cost."

Just last month, the department issued a new warning to law-enforcement authorities in Arizona and California, urging them to be on the lookout for Zeta members. An intelligence bulletin said a search for new drug-smuggling routes in the two states by the organization could bring new violence to the areas.

The number of assaults on U.S. Border Patrol agents along the 260 miles of U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona known as the Tucson sector has increased dramatically this year, including a May 30 shooting near Nogales, Ariz., in which two agents were seriously wounded during an ambush a mile north of the border.

Their assailants were dressed in black commando-type clothing, used high-powered weapons and hand-held radios to point out the agents' location, and withdrew from the area using military-style cover and concealment tactics to escape back into Mexico.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada in Nogales said his investigators found commando clothing, food, water and other "sophisticated equipment" at the ambush site.

Since Oct. 1, the start of the fiscal year, there have been 196 assaults on Border Patrol agents in the Tucson sector, including 24 shootings. During the same period last year, 92 assaults were reported, with five shootings. The sector is the busiest alien- and drug-trafficking corridor in the country.

U.S. intelligence officials have described the Zetas as an expanding gang of mercenaries with intimate knowledge of Mexican drug-trafficking methods and routes. Strategic Forecasting Inc., a security consulting firm that often works with the State and Defense departments, said in a recent report the Zetas had maintained "connections to the Mexican law-enforcement establishment" to gain unfettered access throughout the southern border.

Many of the Zeta leaders belonged to an elite anti-drug paratroop and intelligence battalion known as the Special Air Mobile Force Group, who deserted in 1991 and aligned themselves with drug traffickers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:25:17 PM EDT
I dont think Texas is a good place to "expand a base."
This should get interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:27:12 PM EDT
So what ?
Our govt doesn't care, why should we ?
GWB is too busy kissing vicente fox's ass and pandering for the aztlan vote.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
There is supposed to be a Zeta camp outside of Rio Grande City, pretty wild down there I hearhippie.gif
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:27:59 PM EDT
And yet Washington DC continues to turn a blind eye on the situation...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:35:19 PM EDT by samsong]
Hey look, you mean-spirited racists - they're just hardworking, Christian people with family values better than your own, looking for work you think you're too good to do.

If they're driven out of the land that they deserve, THAT WAS STOLEN FROM THEM by you Gringos, who will bring slaves to your worksites? How are you going to afford fruit and vegatables and cocaine?

Hey amigos, prices will be going up all over.

ETA: I almost forgot - if you close the border on those hardworking criminals, how in the heck are you going to get Islamofascist terrorists transported into your country carrying viruses that could wipe out a generation of Americans?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:35:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:39:13 PM EDT
FUCK MEXICO! BURN IT!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:42:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
I wonder how nuclear fallout from the vicinity of the northern border of Mexico would affect the Amazon rainforest and its ecosystem?

CJ

CJ, I'll bet if you posted your story about amputation,hot oil and a bone plug it might stop some of the immigration!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:46:45 PM EDT by hitnrun99]
Nothin being done about it as always...... :(
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:55:35 PM EDT by samsong]

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
I don't doubt the activity but the persons involved is BS. There are no "elite, U.S. trained, ex-commandos" working en masse for the drug trade. There may have been a handful who (at one time) showed their subordinates one or two things, i.e. how to hold and fire a weapon, etc. but that's about the extent of it.

They are about as elite as the handicapped, airsoft, geriatric reserve forces of Madagascar.

I hope you're right. I'd still hate to face the Elderly Madagascar Airsoft Team, even if I had a real rifle.

I don't like personal confrontations.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:58:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armac:
There is supposed to be a Zeta camp outside of Rio Grande City, pretty wild down there I hear

Camp?? if they can afford $50k bounties, don't you think they might rent a house or move into a motel?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT

I don't doubt the activity but the persons involved is BS. There are no "elite, U.S. trained, ex-commandos" working en masse for the drug trade. There may have been a handful who (at one time) showed their subordinates one or two things, i.e. how to hold and fire a weapon, etc. but that's about the extent of it.

They are about as elite as the handicapped, airsoft, geriatric reserve forces of Madagascar.

But..... that doesnt make it as interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:06:59 PM EDT
Alaska Commercial Fisherman is still more dangerous....................
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:08:00 PM EDT
That article is BS.

Most of the guys in black are corrupt ex or current Mexican LE.

If the dopers wanted to cap a BP agent, it would already have happened. Killing a U.S agent brings more enforcement to the area and is bad for business.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:12:19 PM EDT
Hey what happened to that girl in Aruba or...

Oh, sorry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:25:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JarheadChiro:

Oh, sorry.

Better yet lets talk baseball/steroids(again)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:28:44 PM EDT
Sweet Jesus! I really AM going to ask my boss for a fucking combat pay allowance!

First we've got houses down here being attacked with machine guns, grenades, and RPG's, now we've got these scumbags on our own soil!

JEEZ!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JarheadChiro:

Oh, sorry.

You HAD to push that button didn't you?

I've been spending a lot of time watching the current mission on NASA TV and surf up and down, passing FNC along the way.

It seems like EVERY FUCKING TIME I go by Fox they are talking about Aruba. It's been what, nearly 2 MONTHS now? Today I nearly had a heart attack when there was a blurb on Scott Peterson of all people.

This "bread and circuses" shit iis keeping Joe Sheeple distracted from the REAL ISSUES facing us.

<end rant>
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
These guys are a big concern around here. That had frigging RPG fight in Nuevo Laredo over the weekend. I ran into a former co-worker today who works for ICE in the area; had some VERY scary stories about what the US side of the border is like these days. I am glad I finally got an in-car rack for my M4...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:50:34 PM EDT
A friend of mine stsrted to work enforcement as a Customs Special Agent out of Nogalas in 1988. He's retired now. But the shit has been heating up a little more each year. It's to the point now that the Govt. has to do something. That's why they are starting on the WALL this month. 130 miles long or so when finished. That will dirve up the cost of tacos in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:53:20 PM EDT
Wait, there's been RPG fights in the US?!?!

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:54:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
So what ?

Bush dosen't need any more votes incase you didn't notice. This is his last term in office.......
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:55:08 PM EDT
Do you really think they actually pay $50K to kill a cop?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:56:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn

No. The RPG assault was in NUEVO Laredo, which is across the river from Laredo, and in Mexico.

I know because I work there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:33 PM EDT
Not in the US but just across the border. I still can't find any news items on it though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
So what ?

As much as I hate to admit it I think you are 100% correct.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:27:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By double_wielder:

Texas OR Arizona. Lotsa crazy people with lotsa guns in both states. Remember; we have the southern apex of the Uzi Triangle.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada in Nogales said his investigators found commando clothing, food, water and other "sophisticated equipment" at the ambush site.

Commando clothing, eh? I think I have some of that in the back of my closet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sniper1az:
That will dirve up the cost of tacos in Phoenix.

Does this mean that my neighborhood Flavio's is going to go out of business?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:31:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Texas OR Arizona. Lotsa crazy people with lotsa guns in both states. Remember; we have the southern apex of the Uzi Triangle.

What that probabaly means is someone was using a 10 year old beat to chit US Military "Y" harness to carry bottles of water and they left it there when it was empty.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:32:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ErinMT:

Originally Posted By napalm:

What that probabaly means is someone was using a 10 year old beat to chit US Military "Y" harness to carry bottles of water and they left it there when it was empty.

You said it... 'sophisticated equipment'. Probably had a snaplink on the shoulder loop. Commando-style, ya know?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:33:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Kharn

No. The RPG assault was in NUEVO Laredo, which is across the river from Laredo, and in Mexico.

Bad town. Isn't that the place where they killed the police chief, and now either the Army or the Federal police is running the show (who were fired on themselves by the local police)?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
The more I hear about this kind of shit, the more I start to think we should just drop civil means of enforcing the border and give orders to just simply shoot on sight. I am sick of this fucking shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:09 PM EDT

Wait, there's been RPG fights in the US?!?! hock.gif

Kharn

I know because I work there. hinking.gif

We get some good full -auto gunfights in Reynosa every now and then
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:13:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Not in the US but just across the border. I still can't find any news items on it though.

gun battle
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:24:05 PM EDT
When in the Hell are the Politicians are going to get it? I hate to say it but it will take a big fire storm battle between the Good guys and the Illegals. Then the anti-gun guys are going to push for Gun bans using illegals w/ illegal guns as there argument. The TV people are going to believe them.

Bush you are a let down, you and your Attorney General.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:42:07 PM EDT
Sounds to me like this is a job for Denzel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:51:45 PM EDT
I hear the Zetas are as "elite" as the Republican Guard
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:56:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:07:35 PM EDT
Build the wall ! ! !

(What part of that don't they get)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:24:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Do you really think they actually pay $50K to kill a cop?

Highly unlikely (for a US LEO at least), why bring in the attention and bad feelings that will cause. Right now they got it pretty good, unfortunately. Why mess up a good thing? Right now they are hiding in the illegal alien shadows, make drug killings of US LEOs in the US a big news story and what happens?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:46:02 PM EDT
Give me a "T"!!!!

Give me an "O"!!!!

Give me an "N"!!!!

Give me another letter that completes the word that resembles the sound of a mag-lite hitting a solid object, but doesn't identify a particular race or group of people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 10:12:35 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]

There are fairly sophisticated. As far as I know, only one has been captured, and they have been operating as far north as Dallas for over a year. They have used counter-intelligence techniques to evade arrest, and are believed to have set up a network of safehouses along the I-35 corridor, which makes me wonder if they don't have one or more ex-members of our intelligence community on the payroll of the cartels, advising them. They have assassinated at least 2 LEO's in Dallas. When engaged, they used sophisticated squad techniques to evade capture. They are not to be taken lightly.

I do not know how many comprise the "core" members of the Zeta team, but I am sure that they have trained others, who are less adept at the use of military weaponry, as evidenced by the fact that no one was killed in the firefight in Nuevo Laredo.

There have been nearly 200 attacks on Border Patrol Agents in the past few years, a few of them involve what they believed to be Federales using jeeps and jeep-mounted weapons. I do not know if Zeta was involved in those attacks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:13:06 PM EDT
"K"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:14:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:
"K"

They will lock a thread with that word in it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:36:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By King_of_All_Tyrants:

Kharn

Bad town. Isn't that the place where they killed the police chief, and now either the Army or the Federal police is running the show (who were fired on themselves by the local police)?

The New Chief (about a month ago)died going home on the first day
the next Chief(about two weeks ago)brought four bodyguards with him
one of them died the first day as they all tried to go home
It looks like quitting time can be real hazardous down there
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:39:44 PM EDT
Mexico is nothing more than a cancer to North America.

But then again my government doesn't care so why should I?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:27:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By King_of_All_Tyrants:

Kharn

Yep!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:55:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:59:27 AM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top