Mexico presidential election: Nieto emerges as clear favourite to win

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/01/mexico-election-nieto-favourite-win
The 45-year-old former governor of the State of
Mexico is widely expected to win the election on Sunday. He has pledged
to reduce drug-fuelled violence and create more and better jobs for the
growing population.
In January, he admitted fathering two children
with different women while he was married to his first wife,
indiscretions that had little impact on his ratings.

Sounds like a stand-up kind of guy.  
Is this the guy that wants to pull the military out of northern Mexico?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
He has to be better than that cocksucker Calderon.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
No Nieto wants to increase troop strength in Monterrey and Vera Cruz and target the cartel bosses. As far as fathering kids with other women while married, that won't mean shit in Mexico, cheating is a National past time if you're a guy, it's bigger than futbol.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It'll be worth it, if only to see if he has his judiciales get an arrest warrant for one Holder, Eric H.

Not holding my breath. And I'd rather see us prosecute our own AG anyway.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How does he plan on reducing cartel violence, I wonder? I have a hunch he won't go about it the same way I would...
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How does he plan on reducing cartel violence, I wonder? I have a hunch he won't go about it the same way I would...

"Trial by fire" takes on a whole new meaning in such a context.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't matter anyway.

The druglords run that country.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mexico should just legitimize drugs.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard yesterday that theMexicanconstitution authorizes Mexican citizens to perform citizens arrest of those suspected of being in the country illegally.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I heard yesterday that theMexicanconstitution authorizes Mexican citizens to perform citizens arrest of those suspected of being in the country illegally.

They have a reward system if you turn in an illegal, my ex-wife's cousin made bank turning in Guat's , Hondo's and El Sal's in Victoria.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

he goes home and bangs his hot wife?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It means a Mexican is in charge

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/14/00/07/3146217/5/628x471.jpg

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, didn't know he was having affairs on his wife.

She's a very popular Mexican soap opera star and pretty hot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn if that boy don't look like Mitt Romneys  half brother.

No tinfoil or none of that chit, but it's a creepy coincidence.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so, does that make him white-hispanic?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

And his two mistresses?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Trial by fire" takes on a whole new meaning in such a context.

Unless he is suggesting legalization tied in with full or partial amnesties granted I wouldn't wager him doing a damn thing with/about the cartels.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

And his two mistresses?

they should join in...

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
My conservative Mexican friends are just happy that it is NOT Obrador. All the younger, dumbass Mexican friends are screaming from the rooftops about voter fraud because their hero, Obrador lost. I'm not quite sure why they're so keen on getting their own Chavez installed, which Obrador most certainly is. I guess they don't take a lesson from their latin cousins and the promise of social justice and free shit and power to the proles still seems to attract the dimwitted.

I'll ask my conservative buddies about Nieto when I see them this month.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm not quite sure why they're so keen on getting their own Chavez installed, which Obrador most certainly is.

This.  Everyone should at least be happy with this:  Pena Nieto isn't Obrador.

As far as the drug cartels?  Who knows.  The question that many Mexicans are asking themselves is: "If it's the AMERICANS who DEMAND to buy these drugs, why is it the MEXICANS who have to die over control of the drug sales?"

I think there is a near majority/near majority of Mexicans who would rather the state go back to arbitrating who controls what routes, and letting them sell all the drugs they want, as long as the stability ends violence in Mexico.

The reality is, it is no coincidence that the world's largest drug exporters are right next door to the worlds largest drug consumers.   And Canada is also considered a major drug exporting country.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's certainly more corrupt, if that makes you happy.

He's also against use of the military to combat the cartels (which Calderon was more than willing to do).

In fact, none of the 3 candidates are worth a shit, and none of them are friends of the U.S.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't even care if they're friends of the US, but another Venezuela right below us would be the worst option by far.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn if that boy don't look like Mitt Romneys half brother.

Most of the upper-crust in Mexico is white (i.e., of European descent).
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My conservative Mexican friends are just happy that it is NOT Obrador. All the younger, dumbass Mexican friends are screaming from the rooftops about voter fraud because their hero, Obrador lost. I'm not quite sure why they're so keen on getting their own Chavez installed, which Obrador most certainly is. I guess they don't take a lesson from their latin cousins and the promise of social justice and free shit and power to the proles still seems to attract the dimwitted.

My mother is pissed that the PRI won.  Both of my grandfathers decided not to vote in this election (I don't think they care anymore).
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

GAVIOTA!!!

No one will understand that reference unless they have seen Mexican Telenovelas.

ETA: Which she starred in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A silly reply.

Like it or not, Calderon is about as good as the US is ever likely to get from the Mexican political system.

Wait until the PRI starts to turn a blind eye to the Cartels again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Obrador is truly bad news.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So this Neito guy won.

What happens now?

It appears the ruling class in Mexico are still the lighter skinned people of Spanish background.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Bad news for the ZETAS, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mexico should just legitimize drugs.  

How would that change anything?

I'm guessing you have never even been into mexico?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's certainly more corrupt, if that makes you happy.

He's also against use of the military to combat the cartels (which Calderon was more than willing to do).

In fact, none of the 3 candidates are worth a shit, and none of them are friends of the U.S.

Are you talking about U.S. candidates or Mexico?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It means a Mexican is in charge  

A white Mexican?

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How do you figure? His position is that the government should back off the cartels and focus on stopping extortion and kidnapping... I.e. he's already thoroughly on the cartels' payrolls...

Calderon shot the fuck out of the zetas at night with gunships, and this guy wants the military to stand down...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#35]
He's gonna bang somebody, that's about all this tells us.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure? His position is that the government should back off the cartels and focus on stopping extortion and kidnapping... I.e. he's already thoroughly on the cartels' payrolls...

Calderon shot the fuck out of the zetas at night with gunships, and this guy wants the military to stand down...

Maybe he is in the tank for Sinola??

I don't have a clue. Just a guess on that thinking.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing will change.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he is in the tank for Sinola??

I don't have a clue. Just a guess on that thinking.

Nah, Chapo loved it when the military shot the fuck out of a bunch of Zetas.  Nieto is (or at least he says he is) against that.  Looks like Nieto wants to take money from all the Cartels and let them fight it out amongst themselves ("who cares about collateral damage as long as I'm getting paid" approach).  This was the philosophy of PRI back in the day and it always seemed to work because Sinaloa was content to work the West/North border while Golfo owned the Rio Grande/Gulf of Mexico.  The thought that they could return to this state of relatively peaceful equilibrium is a pathetic fantasy. The rise of Michoacan, particularly in heroin and meth production, the existence of the Zetas as an independent player, and the clusterfuck that is Juarez, not to mention that Sinaloa wants access to the Texas/Golfo areas all but guarantees that this war will go on until some of these factions go extinct at least.  For a while, at least, there was something of a truce while everybody beat the fuck out of the Zetas, but I have no idea whether this is still in effect or not, particularly without the military involved (though I'm not convinced the Mexican military gave a crap which side they were shooting... as long as after it was done the bodies were cartel, not military).
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn if that boy don't look like Mitt Romneys half brother.

Most of the upper-crust in Mexico is white (i.e., of European descent).

If you're hispanic you're of European descent. It's even where the word comes from.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My mother is pissed that the PRI won.  Both of my grandfathers decided not to vote in this election (I don't think they care anymore).

Who would she have preferred? Obrador would be a disaster for all of us. Basically if the "students" are all riled up for someone, he's probably the wrong choice.

If she preferred Obrador, why?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No Nieto wants to increase troop strength in Monterrey and Vera Cruz and target the cartel bosses. As far as fathering kids with other women while married, that won't mean shit in Mexico, cheating is a National past time if you're a guy, it's bigger than futbol.  

+1
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I read this and went back to look...that is pretty creepy haha.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mother is pissed that the PRI won. Both of my grandfathers decided not to vote in this election (I don't think they care anymore).

Who would she have preferred? Obrador would be a disaster for all of us. Basically if the "students" are all riled up for someone, he's probably the wrong choice.

If she preferred Obrador, why?

No, she dislikes Obrador even more than Nieto.  I'm sure if she could have voted she would have voted for the PAN candidate, although she did not outright say so.  She is not a Mexican citizen, though, so she can't vote.  But she did live there for the majority of her childhood and both her parents are from Mexico.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, she dislikes Obrador even more than Nieto.  I'm sure if she could have voted she would have voted for the PAN candidate, although she did not outright say so.  She is not a Mexican citizen, though, so she can't vote.  But she did live there for the majority of her childhood and both her parents are from Mexico.

I can understand that. I love the way it turns out in elections with 3 viable candidates... and people think that a 3rd here would make any difference.

The lesser of 3 evils. Not much of an improvement.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey.......Zero gets to kiss a new foreign ass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, she dislikes Obrador even more than Nieto. I'm sure if she could have voted she would have voted for the PAN candidate, although she did not outright say so. She is not a Mexican citizen, though, so she can't vote. But she did live there for the majority of her childhood and both her parents are from Mexico.

I can understand that. I love the way it turns out in elections with 3 viable candidates... and people think that a 3rd here would make any difference.

The lesser of 3 evils. Not much of an improvement.

She remembers the PRI's corruption and isn't convinced they have changed their ways.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#48]
What does it mean? It means Mexico will remain a shithole and it's citizens will continue to pour over our border illegally, their new president will lecture Obama and the American people in the Rose Garden of the White House the same way their old president did, and Obama will kiss his ass and fail to defend America the same way he did last time. Obama will also continue to welcome the illegals and register them all as democrats as soon as they cross the border.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

FIRE?

Copious amounts of it?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#50]
all it means is obama has a new boss to bow down to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top