Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 9:31:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2003 9:35:35 AM EST by Big_Bear]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:48:10 AM EST
That's what the damn barriers are for you fucking MORON! Fox is saying up to 50 people got hurt. The truck driver is the only fatality [so far]. Somebody PLEASE explain to me why anyone would try to beat the train. At 60mph, the train is traveling 88 feet per second. I ride the train daily to/from work. One of our conductors was telling me that he sees this crap all the time! I saw a video once where a freight moving about...oh say 40mph nailed a woman (Suicide?) dead in the middle of the tracks. She exploded! It was WAY gruesome [shock][puke] Don't screw with trains! And yes, it is going to be a loooonng day for those commuters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:54:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By LWilde: Somebody PLEASE explain to me why anyone would try to beat the train.
View Quote
Because the arms come down too soon. People have learned that after the arms come down, you still have several minutes before the train arrives. So they drive around. The arms should come down only when the train is near the roadway. It would cause less traffic congestion and you would know if you went around you would get killed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:03:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Originally Posted By LWilde: Somebody PLEASE explain to me why anyone would try to beat the train.
View Quote
Because the arms come down too soon. People have learned that after the arms come down, you still have several minutes before the train arrives. So they drive around. The arms should come down only when the train is near the roadway. It would cause less traffic congestion and you would know if you went around you would get killed.
View Quote
It depends on how fast the train is comming. Obviously this guy didn't have several minutes. Hopefully he'll be the only one to die out of this mess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:13:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:31:23 AM EST
View Quote
View Quote
That's like saying that yellow lights cause people to run red lights, I don't buy it, and I call Shennannigans on this one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:32:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:34:09 AM EST
Couple of years ago when I was taking MetroLink home from Irvine to Orange, two young girls ran toward LOWERED barrier in Santa Ana. One stopped right in front of the barrier, the other kept going and *SPLAT*. I was in the train for two hours while they clean up the mess. I saw an officer walking around with a plastic bag picking up whatever's left.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:34:35 AM EST
Foxnews said the train was running in reverse (this is common with passenger trains). Most passenger trains have a control and baggage car on the back end so, among other things, when some dumb ass is on the tracks there is more likelyhood of their being pushed off to the sides and less of going under the train. In this case the truck went under the train. Up here where I live is a real rail hub. People know all about trains, and every few months there is another accident. Even so, every few months it happens again. People are just plain dumb about trains.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:35:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:02:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Happyshooter: Foxnews said the train was running in reverse (this is common with passenger trains). Most passenger trains have a control and baggage car on the back end so, among other things, when some dumb ass is on the tracks there is more likelyhood of their being pushed off to the sides and less of going under the train. In this case the truck went under the train. Up here where I live is a real rail hub. People know all about trains, and every few months there is another accident. Even so, every few months it happens again. People are just plain dumb about trains.
View Quote
Happyshooter, you called it man. The cab car is a lot lighter than a locomotive too, so it's more likely that it would go on the ground due to debris. Railroading is a crummy business, and combined with your average person's ignorance, you get a lot of stupid stuff. The average person doesn't realize how much crap really happens on the railroad. I know Boomer has plenty of perspective to lend to this. I work here: [url]www.wsorrailroad.com[/url], I am a train dispatcher but came up through the trainman ranks. In 4 years of train service, I rode a locomotive into the ditch at 25mph, ran over and chopped up a sleeping drunk, hit a suicidal woman on Metra in Chicago (by the grace of God she lived), got shot at, assualted by a gang (I escaped thanks to an engineer that did what he was told, and a fast tower operator..good story), been in countless minor derailments, saw my life pass before my eyes when a propane truck ran the gates in front of us in Madison, put up with dump trucks and cars doing the same EVERY TRIP, ran into a herd of cows, and seen a whole stack of car/train incidents, though I somehow avoided it on MY job (SO FAR). I just love it when the schoolkids play "chicken" with us right at the same spot we killed that guy. Where the fuck are these kids' parents? There is just something about possibly being stuck behind a train for 5 or 10 minutes that pushes people's stupid button.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:19:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By LWilde: I saw a video once where a freight moving about...oh say 40mph nailed a woman (Suicide?) dead in the middle of the tracks. She exploded! It was WAY gruesome [shock][puke]
View Quote
[url=http://www.bubblegoose.com/VideoArchive/videos/train.avi]Woman Hit By Train[/url] [b]WARNING!!!!![/b] Clicking on this link will lead to extremely graphic footage of an inattentive and unfortunate woman being struck by a high speed commuter train. Do not view it if you are easily offended and don't cry to the mods if you failed to head this warning. I work for the Burlington Northern (Santa Fe) Railroad. Our company operates these commuter trains and we have been shown this tape at work before. This occurred in a Chicago suburb. The woman had just gotten off the train in the background as was hurrying to get home. You can here the crossing warning bells in the background, indicating that another train is approaching. The man hurrying along with her realizes at the last second that a train is about to pass and stops just in time, while the woman continues on directly into the path of a train, probably travelling at a speed of at least 60-70mph. Why don't people stop at crossings or be more attentive around trains? Most of the time they are just too impatient, distracted, or focused on other thoughts. People don't realize how fast a train to get to that crossing. Lot's of people think they can beat the train, and 99.9% of the time they do, but it only takes once to lose the race forever. And for the guy who thinks crossings guards come down too soon, how would you like to be in the car stuck on the crossing as the gates came down a couple of seconds before the train occupied the crossing with you? The time for an appropriate amount of warning is there for a reason. I've posted on this before, people doing stupid shit around trains. I've seen a lot of stuff that really pisses me off. It not only endangers them, but it endangers me and if they get themselves maimed or killed, it usually weighs on the conscience of the train crew, too, regardless of fault. No one wants to be involved in the death of another like this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:41:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By The_Camp_Ninja:
View Quote
View Quote
That's like saying that yellow lights cause people to run red lights, I don't buy it, and I call Shennannigans on this one.
View Quote
Well, I'd venture to guess that if yellow lights lasted around 20 seconds nobody would stop for them anymore and more people would be stuck running the red when it came on. But the other extreme is bad too, around here yellow lights have a pretty comfortable length. I recently went back to MT to visit my folks and found myself running red lights all over the place!!!! Stupid yellows lasted like 2 seconds, if that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:22:23 PM EST
You guys remember the article in Trains a few years ago where they talked to the Chicago passenger engineer who had had several people hit his trains at various times? He said he had been really saddened after the first one, where a woman had driven a station wagon in front of him and he saw the look in her kid's eyes, but after that he figured out that his train was just a device to remove stupid people from the human race.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:22:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Boomer: And for the guy who thinks crossings guards come down too soon, how would you like to be in the car stuck on the crossing as the gates came down a couple of seconds before the train occupied the crossing with you? The time for an appropriate amount of warning is there for a reason.
View Quote
And how long is appropriate? 2 or 3 minutes is more than enough time for every car to stop and any "trapped" car to get off the track. Yet at one of our local train crossing the gates come down at least 10 minutes before the train arrives and the train is only creeping along, maybe 5MPH at this croissing. Why stop rush hour traffic for 10 minutes?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:05:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR15fan: And how long is appropriate? 2 or 3 minutes is more than enough time for every car to stop and any "trapped" car to get off the track. Yet at one of our local train crossing the gates come down at least 10 minutes before the train arrives and the train is only creeping along, maybe 5MPH at this croissing. Why stop rush hour traffic for 10 minutes?
View Quote
I'll agree that a routine 10 minutes of warning in excessive. Federal law actually says that trains are not to block crossings for longer than 10 minutes if possible. It's likely caused by a train doing work within the crossing guard circuit. Few crossings get even a couple of minutes warning for any train travelling at maximum authorized track speed. Also remember that if there are more than one track, you could skirt around the crossing guard and be able to beat the slow moving train you see, only to be hit the much faster one coming up alongside it that you can't see until it's too late. That's what happens in the video in the link a posted above. The problem is that the crossing guards are activated by circuits within the rail, which means a set distance. Since not all trains travel the same speed, the time between when they first cause the guards to activate and when they actually reach the crossing well obviously vary considerably. So the guy who thinks he is more important than every one else had better hope the train he is trying to beat is the freight creeping along at 5mph and not the 79mph passenger. Railroads have been actively campaigning and working with various levels of government to reduce the number of grade crossing accidents. These efforts includes measures such as improved crossing guards, improving visibility at crossings, building overpasses, and closing some grade crossings. Remember, trains ALWAYS have the right of way. The stupidity some people display around trains is both amazing and infuriating.
Top Top