Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 3:35:39 PM EDT
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/Mag/050808_Issue/050730_MethBurnWoman_hu.widec.jpg

Selena Humphrey, 19, was burned when a lab exploded, spewing molten plastic into her face

article
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a bit misleading.  I have very little if any sympathy at all for drug addicts or dealers but her appearance is not a direct result of meth use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's a bit misleading.  I have very little if any sympathy at all for drug addicts or dealers but her appearance is not a direct result of meth use.

From the article;

"...When Selena Humphrey, 19, used to make the drug with her friends, "we were always on pins and needles," she says, as they would accidentally spill chemicals or start small fires. Eventually, an explosion sent her to Vanderbilt, where doctors had to chisel melted plastic—which had lined the walls of the lab—off her face."
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I expect medicaid paid for it all too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You mean crankheads do not have private insurance?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean crankheads do not have private insurance?

They got workmans comp, blow your lab up medicaid picks up the bill and you get a disablility check
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the article;

"...When Selena Humphrey, 19, used to make the drug with her friends, "we were always on pins and needles," she says, as they would accidentally spill chemicals or start small fires. Eventually, an explosion sent her to Vanderbilt, where doctors had to chisel melted plastic—which had lined the walls of the lab—off her face."

Yeah and, aside from the one on top of your head your point is?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you just can't leave it alone. haven't you be warned enough this week?

I know what meth does to people.  I know what fire does to people.  Meth is not fire.  The topic of this thread indicates/implies that meth is the root cause of this womans appearance.

A person can use meth for decades and they will not be disfigured like this.  Indeed they will be disfigured in other ways but this:

is not a person that has been disfigured by using meth.  It is an image of a person who has been disfigured by fire.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
There was an article in the paper the other day saying people are complaining that new tougher laws on meth-related crimes are going to fill the prisons and the state would have to build another.

I say good, build two. Lock all the fuckers up who want to ruin their lives so they don't end up ruining everyone else's.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who chooses to do that to themselves (and by proxy, others) Take the lady who came into our jail the other night on (surprise, surprise) possession. She said she had been clean until she had a miscarriage recently. The arresting officer asked her if she quit using once she knew she was pregnant. Oh no, she kept using for a couple of months. Probably long enough for the kid to die from shock when its supply was cut.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you just can't leave it alone. haven't you be warned enough this week?

I know what meth does to people.  I know what fire does to people.  Meth is not fire.  The topic of this thread indicates/implies that meth is the root cause of this womans appearance.

A person can use meth for decades and they will not be disfigured like this.  Indeed they will be disfigured in other ways but this:

msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/Mag/050808_Issue/050730_MethBurnWoman_hu.widec.jpg

is not a person that has been disfigured by using meth.  It is an image of a person who has been disfigured by fire.

Yeah, a fire that started from a drug lab.  That seems as a result of meth use to me.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Although fire was the mechanism of injury, the proximate cause of the fire was cooking meth.  Therefore, meth caused those injuries.

She looks good, considering she should be dead.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Although fire was the mechanism of injury, the proximate cause of the fire was cooking meth. Therefore, meth caused those injuries.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Although fire was the mechanism of injury, the proximate cause of the fire was cooking meth.  Therefore, meth caused those injuries.

Yup, fairly simple concept. Although I suspect that even in that very simple form he won't remember the front half of that sentence by the time he gets to the end of it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd hit it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top