Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 4:33:48 AM EDT
Well since this morning seems a little serious in the GD. I'll share some fun news. Last night I got to see Metallica for the first time live here in Austin.

It was Awesome. Great show and I had a blast. It seems after the last few concerts I have been to I come away from the show a bigger fan if the band is good(which isn't always the case live).

Shameless plug for the wife:  My pregnant wife and her friend bought these tickets for me and her friend's husband who's a buddy of mine for helping them out with work. Cool chicks huh?

96Ag

A note on the majority of topics this morning and how they relate to last night and Metallica

SEEK and DESTROY, the closing song

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I listen to abit of thier older stuff, the last CD was not good in my opinion.

I need to go to a concert sometime.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen Metallica 5 times live.  Best band in concert that I've ever seen.  I remember the first time I saw them in Miami Arena, the whole next day my ears were ringing!!  They sure can rock the plance out tho....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]
i must send my condolenses for having not seen the real metallica before they had all their sissy crap and lost jason.
i saw em during the Sanitarium tour. awesome.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
they're on the down hill side of their "good" stuff.....

also, lars is an asshole, so fuck him!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought that ARF decreed that Metallica sucks because of their stance on the whole Napster thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The Napster thing is a drag but I was going to a Metallica concert, not going to a hearing of the RIAA. I can hear fairly well today, I took earplugs. But when they started Master of Puppets and got into their second hour which was older stuff, the plugs came out.

I was a Jason Newstead fan as well but I have to say that Rudy Trujillo did an excellent job. I mean come on Jason replaced Cliff Burton and Metallica was still good.

After hearing them in concert I may have to rethink my feelings on St. Anger and give it another listen.

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
i saw them a couple of months ago in OKC..for the 13th time !!!!!!

with GODSMACK opening, i must say it was probably the best one yet.

my wife is NO METAL fan...

but she even stated it was a good show..
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm oldschool Metallica as well, and was a hardcore fan before they ever decided to do their first MTV video (One).  I wouldn't mind seeing them today, I bet it would bring back lots of memories.

Did they do Creeping Death?

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
MetallicA rules.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought that ARF decreed that Metallica sucks because of their stance on the whole Napster thing.

They sucked long before that.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Even though I don't like their last three albums, they do still rock live!  I saw them at Fed Ex Field (in DC) a while back, just after that last POS album came out. They only played one song off that album, very little from either of the Load albums, and a LOT of kick ass old stuff! They opened up with Battery and got heavier from there....  If you get a chance to go to a show, I'd do it. The live shows are as good as ever!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not those who believe in property rights.
I don't listen to Metallica, but I respect their stand against theft.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have. Kill 'em all, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All and the Black album. The Black album was not so good and their new stuff sucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw them a lot in the old days met them a few times , friend worked at a radio station and got backstage passes for all the shows. James used to hunt I dont know if he still does.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
According to Ted Nugent, most of Metallica is Pro-Gun! I can forgive the whole Napster thing if they really are Pro-Gun.

I mean the Napster thing was money related.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i must send my condolenses for having not seen the real metallica before they had all their sissy crap and lost jason.
i saw em during the Sanitarium tour. awesome.

Sort of ditto.  There has been no Metallica since Cliff Burton.  CB WAS Metallica.
The remnants of Metallica are pretty decent, but they ain't Metallica!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
they're on the down hill side of their "good" stuff.....

also, lars is an asshole, so fuck him!

I would agree with that...also, Metallica to me seems like Panter Lite..."heavy metal" for the mainstream.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
According to Ted Nugent, most of Metallica is Pro-Gun! I can forgive the whole Napster thing if they really are Pro-Gun.

I mean the Napster thing was money related.

Hetfield is also into Triumph choppers...that's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my tickets for the 17th of October at MCI center in DC.

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Everything since the Black Album has been pure shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't like them, go to one of their shows.  
They are still one of the best performance bands out there
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Seen them twice, great both times!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sort of ditto.  There has been no Metallica since Cliff Burton.  CB WAS Metallica.
The remnants of Metallica are pretty decent, but they ain't Metallica!

There has been some good material released since Cliff's tragic death...Jason was a hard sell, but look who's boots he was tring to fill, not an easy task, and I admit our group of hardcore Metallica maniacs hated him at first, but the bottom line is he was pretty damn good, if he hadn't been he'd been out the door with the rest of the "try-outs".

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]
They haven't been cool since they were long-hairs!!  Longer Hair=better music!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]
The best was seeing then in the early 90's.   They were playing a show when a storm rolled in.   The next song in the play list was "ride the lightning"  just as a thunder boomer skirted the place.   mettallica playing with lightning in the background... quite cool
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw them a few times (in St. Louis) and thought they were great.
My favorite Metallica song is Four Horsemen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top