Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/8/2005 11:28:41 AM EDT
I would like to build a combo chin up/dip bar outside.

I'm thinking of setting 6X6 posts in the groud, with a chin up bar on one side and a seperate dip bar on the other side (lower of course!).

I was wondering if anyone knew where decent quality metal ones could be located? (No, I don't know how to weld and personally don't know any welders that could build them local, although depending on prices, etc, I may try and see if I can find one since they are simple devices with just a few bars).

I'm in the SE so the closer the better so shipping won't cost more than the bars themselves!!!!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:39:53 AM EDT
I was just about to post the same question.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:24:24 PM EDT
Just go to your local Sports Authority or exercise equipment retailer. For sure they will have the chin-up bar.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2005 12:42:46 PM EDT by FredM]
Do like you said and use posts. 6x6 is great but 4x4 would be fine too.

First sink some 10 footers leaving about 7'2" out in the air and in the top drill some holes in both of them and run your bar through them. Whichever diameter you want. It won;t have to hold much weight so it doesn;t need to be pipe. Steel tubing would work probably.

Then sink some lower posts with the same spacing as your original, but spaced away from them the length you want the dip bar to be. Height will be your own preference, but I reccomend at least 4 feet.

There ya go. No welding and if you want you can bolt the bars in for security. Grip tape might be nice on the dip bars.

Cost = 4 posts, about 10 feet of tubing, and an afternoon.

Posts are about 15 bucks for 12'

Good sized nice strength tubing can be had for 12 for 8 feet. You can use the chain length end posts for tubing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:55:12 PM EDT
I used treated 4x4's, 1 bag quickcrete per post, and 1" galv conduit for the bar. I set the bar inside each post about 1.75-2". I drilled out the holes with a spade bit. It supported my 225 lb + body just fine
Top Top