Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:25 PM EDT
Well, I guess that explains something about me...

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179437,00.html

Men Who Dance Well May Be More Desirable As Mates

Wednesday, December 21, 2005
By Jeanie Lerche Davis

Guys, are you good dancers? Your superior moves may indicate greater body symmetry — a factor in mate selection.

“Dancing is believed to be important in the courtship of a variety of species, including humans,” writes researcher William M. Brown, PhD, an anthropologist with Rutgers University. His paper appears in the latest issue of the journal Nature.

Mating studies revealed that women seek out males with bodily symmetry, he explains. If the potential mate has a great degree of asymmetry, he or she is judged to be less than optimal. In numerous species, asymmetry is linked to greater rates of disease and early death, and lesser success in fertility — all important to their selection as mates.

A guy’s or girl’s symmetry (or lack of it) affects their attractiveness in other ways, too – like odor, voice, and facial appearance, Brown notes.

Brown explains that in species where fathers invest less time than do mothers in the offspring, females are expected to be more selective in mate choice — and males to invest more in courtship display. Thus, females would be the judge of a male’s symmetry (and mating potential) — as told in his dancing ability, Brown theorized.

Women Prefer Good Dancers

Earlier efforts to study dance quality and symmetry in human courtship have been complicated by factors such as clothing and physical appearance, notes Brown. To overcome these obstacles, he used motion-capture technology (commonly used in medical and sports studies) to separate the dance motion from the dancer’s appearance.

In his study, Brown captured dance motions of 183 human dancers in Southfield, Jamaica. Each male and female danced alone for one minute. Dancers ranged in age from 14 to 19.

Forty dance animations were chosen based on body asymmetry. Those individuals in the top third in asymmetry were categorized as “asymmetrical” while those at the bottom third were “symmetrical.”

A separate group of 153 Jamaicans evaluated the dancers on a dance scale. All the dancers were unrecognizable because of the motion-capture technology. It was even difficult to determine whether the dancer was male or female, he notes.

Indeed, the study showed that symmetrical females and males were preferred. Symmetrical males were rated as better dancers compared with asymmetrical males. They were also rated as better dancers than the symmetrical females.

Women watching the recordings preferred the dances of symmetrical men. Likewise, men preferred dances performed by more symmetrical females — although this was not a strong finding, which confirms the theory that women are more selective in choosing mates, he writes.

Why is symmetry so important? “We do not know,” writes Brown. “Perhaps it indicates good coordination or good health, including freedom from parasites. Attractive dances may be more difficult to perform, more rhythmic, more energetic, more energy efficient, or any combination of these factors.”

In future studies, he plans to investigate the link between dance ability and fertility.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:52:27 PM EDT
women think that if you can dance you can also hump like a beast
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:01:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leakycow:
women think that if you can dance you can also hump like a beast

I hump like a beast--30 seconds and BLAM!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
Mates for other men......
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:06:06 PM EDT

Men Who Dance Well May Be More Desirable As Mates

I misread your post, I thought you were saying men who dance well may be more desirable ASS mates....

which makes more sense.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:08:36 PM EDT
Well, I can do a wicked macarena.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:11:19 PM EDT
I'm pretty good at The Safety Dance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:13:55 PM EDT
This is not good for me. I have all the moves of a refridgerator.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:15:03 PM EDT
You can look like The Elephant Man, but if you're a great dancer the women will line up for you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:17:44 PM EDT
Makes sense.

I like a woman with symmetry when locking legs on a long, shinny pole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:24 PM EDT
gives new meaning to the banana dance
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:22:17 PM EDT
I realized this by Jr. High.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:25:53 PM EDT
Dance?
I have as much groove as a white guy cannot have. I'll hold the table down and keep the drinks coming, you guys go dance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:14:22 AM EDT
Well, I'm fucked.

(Well, more appropriately it's "Well, I'm not going to get fucked...")

Mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

In future studies, he plans to investigate the link between dance ability and fertility.

Ok, so he is going to discover that a lot of people get laid after the junior prom.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:27 AM EDT

Wow.

This really pushes the bottom of the barrel for junkscience.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:26:38 AM EDT
Alllllllllright!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
I invented the Dirty Elephant.

If she has BO, I can do a mean "Fade Away."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:28:37 AM EDT

If that were true, the women of the world would be beating a path to Liberia...

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:30:41 AM EDT
So, basically women are attracted to homos.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:30:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 6:31:55 AM EDT by Dolomite]

Well, you're on to something there -

I think that dancing can be seen as a display of one's fighting ability, in an ancient sense.

A lot of the greatest fighters could also cut a mean rug; Bruce Lee, Ali...

Me? I hate the shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:51 AM EDT

Brown explains that in species where fathers invest less time than do mothers in the offspring, females are expected to be more selective in mate choice — and males to invest more in courtship display.

Sounds to me that the more you invest in dance and bling, the more you are likely to come from a culture where the father spends little time parenting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

tinypic.com/iyn7nr.jpg

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:23:50 AM EDT
this is very true, brothers.

i was at a christmas party last week. danced with one woman as trashy as i could get her to go. the rest of the night got even trashier, with a wide selection. left the party with a panamanian woman and her honduran "sister".

knock one off her feet, and the rest fall at yours.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:12 AM EDT
What kind of dance do you have to do when you are tired of putting up with her shit?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:43:26 AM EDT by t-stox]
Tell me somthing I dont KNOW! Here in Nueva Jork certain Ethinic groups engage in this kinda foolishness. Women dont wanna a man, they want a faggot! Or at best a metrosexual. If a chick wants to measure my symmetry she can bust out a ruler!! WE guys (especially us WHITE guys ) gotta come up with a alternative to dancing that will impress women but wont make us look like fags. I propose lifting weights with our penis's! Just like weight lifters we can have weight catagories, ribbons, steroids scandals, ETC. WE can even have a Hard/soft division! Some guys could try and lift 10 pounds of bricks starting with a flaccid little guy. and others can start off hard but have to see how much weight can be added beofre you hear a "snap" OOWWIE OWIE OW OW OW!!!

ETA: I assure you that guys hanging around, getting hard-ons then putting weights on eachothers schlongs then cheering and giving medals away is in no way gay! naw, no way, not as gay as dancing! Besides it's a time honored european tradition, going all the way back to Ancient Greece. Oh wait..................
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:38:44 AM EDT
This is 1=bazillion% true. Many of the girls I have dated have straight up said that me being able to dance good was a big factor in them going out with me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:39:08 AM EDT
Only after a couple six packs
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:01:10 AM EDT
When I used to go out to the clubs I discovered that a lot of women preferred to dance with their girlfriends than with strange men.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:06:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
What kind of dance do you have to do when you are tired of putting up with her shit?

I believe that would be the Boot to the Curb Shuffle, Ken.

Then she performs the Duffel Bag Drag.

Then you do this:

Brown explains that in species where fathers invest less time than do mothers in the offspring, females are expected to be more selective in mate choice — and males to invest more in courtship display. Thus, females would be the judge of a male’s symmetry (and mating potential) — as told in his dancing ability, Brown theorized.

So what they are in essence saying is that this means little to nothing in modern, civilized cultures.

In other news....

I'm planning on scheduling some sort of dance class at the local community college next semester. I do believe that I will placed in a Target Rich Environment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:13:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
In his study, Brown captured dance motions of 183 human dancers in Southfield, Jamaica. Each male and female danced alone for one minute. Dancers ranged in age from 14 to 19.

Soooo....

exactly what species were the Jamaicans in this study?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Coolio:
When I used to go out to the clubs I discovered that a lot of women preferred to dance with their girlfriends than with strange men.

Maybe it would be different if you weren't strange.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:17:20 AM EDT
"Never trust a sword to a man who cannot dance." - Old Scottish Proverb
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:22:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Coolio:

very true. Thats why you never approach a group larger than two or three. 3, 4 and 5+ chicks and more means that its girls night out. Which means they will dress ultra sexy and try to boost each others egos by dancing with each other fliting with other men, but not actually leaving with the man. Also, the other girls will attack you and try to shoo you away, they dont want a guy breaking th integrity of the girls night out. Also, you wont get very far with a girl that brought alot of friends because the girl wouldnt want to appear to be a slut in front of her friends. On the other hand if its a group of 2 then its golden, they are there to party and to meet you, just have a wing man for all of her girl friends. Avoid chicks that go to the bar alone, they are usually crazy.

So, in conclusion. Do, strike up a conversation with a group of 2 chicks, but bring a wingman to keep the other chick busy. Avoid the singularity. Have a wingman for groups 2 and 3. Avoid 4, 5, 6+ at all costs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:22:55 AM EDT
Well if she can't dance I don't date her.

Unless she puts out
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT
I only dance one way...

<­BR>

between the sheets.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:23:01 AM EDT

So, in conclusion. Do, strike up a conversation with a group of 2 chicks, but bring a wingman to keep the other chick busy. Avoid the singularity. Have a wingman for groups 2 and 3. Avoid 4, 5, 6+ at all costs.

Here's to the wingman. Hauling away the anchor since the beginning of time.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:26:36 AM EDT
What you drive is a more important factor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:03:30 AM EDT
women are attracted to confidence and performance in any area of endeavor. they can also detect the "trying too hard" phenomenon, which is what trips up most guys in the area of dancing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:05:33 AM EDT
Well shit. Here I was thinking it was my freakishly large genitalia and obscene overconfidence and charisma.
Top Top