9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 3:13:16 AM EDT by Rustygun]
No permit, no crime, no charge

Killing at bank lot was an act of self-defense

By Chris Conley
Contact
August 11, 2005

A sanitation worker who unloaded six .357 Magnum slugs into an armed kidnapper won't be charged with a crime, officials said Wednesday.

And Jacob Evans didn't have a permit to carry the pistol, but won't be charged for that, either, officials said.

Dist. Atty. Gen. Bill Gibbons said the shooting was justifiable.

Under state law, he said, a person can't be charged with not having a gun permit if the gun is used in a justifiable self-defense.

And Evans -- an outspoken 59-year-old -- said he definitely feared for his life.

"You have got to be nervous in that situation," Evans said. "Anyone who tells you different is a liar."

Evans was jumped by two men as he drove up to his home in the 300 block of Edsel Tuesday after work.

The two forced him into his Lincoln Town Car and made him drive to a bank where they wanted him to withdraw $10,000.

One man went into the First Tennessee at 1200 S. Third to fetch a withdrawal slip and gave his pistol to his accomplice, who already had a .22-caliber rifle.

Evans -- who'd been robbed of $465 by the pair three weeks ago -- reached under his car seat, turned and emptied his newly bought pistol on his armed captor.

He tried to shoot the second man when he returned, but his gun jammed.

Evans said after he was robbed, he bought the handgun from a friend at a parking lot for $75 the next day.

A new .357 Magnum can run anywhere from $250 to $500. The sale to Evans wasn't illegal, officials said, though the weapon should eventually have been registered.

The gun cost only $75 because the cylinder was stuck. Evans said he used baby oil to loosen it, but it jammed after he reloaded it.

Defective or not, Evans said the gun did what it needed to.

"Well, it took care of me yesterday," he said.

Police hadn't identified the dead kidnapper Wednesday, and still didn't know the second man's identity.

Detectives will be looking at bank surveillance footage, and will see if Evans can pick out the second man, so they'll at least have his picture to work from.

Twenty-four hours after his kidnapping, the shooting, and having been interviewed by police, Evans maintained that his only regret was not shooting the second man.

"The only after-effect," Evans said, "was I didn't get the other one."

And police were downright understanding, almost solicitious, Evans said.

"I have never been treated like a king before," he joked. "Usually, I have to make my own coffee."

-- Chris Conley: 529-2595
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:10:42 AM EDT
hahahaha nice to see SOME lawyers and leo's have their minds right!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:17 AM EDT
watch and see if the TN state congress critters don't try to change the state law in the name of "gun control."

Remember that the criminals need to be protected from us law-abiding, permit carrying, gun toting private citizens that care more about our lives and the lives of others
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:15:09 AM EDT
Give that Man a medal!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rustygun:

"I have never been treated like a king before," he joked. "Usually, I have to make my own coffee."

Anybody know if TN is a Felony Murder state like FL? That would be the icing on the cake. In FL, the perp that got away would be charged with murder of his cohort who died. Got to love justice served Southern Style.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:26:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CS223:

Originally Posted By Rustygun:

Anybody know if TN is a Felony Murder state like FL? That would be the icing on the cake. In FL, the perp that got away would be charged with murder of his cohort who died. Got to love justice served Southern Style.

That's B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:31:14 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:41:11 AM EDT
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!! I love stories with happy endings, just wish the all ended this way or better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:47 AM EDT

The sale to Evans wasn't illegal, officials said, though the weapon should eventually have been registered.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:51:30 AM EDT
Sounds like the pistol was only properly functioning some of the time. Good for him that it worked when it mattered.

Time to get a new pistol Mr Evans.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:54:15 AM EDT
Good, maybe more people in Memphis will start shooting back now. Memphis is about 65 miles west of here, I avoid it at all cost.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:42:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmzd4:
watch and see if the TN state congress critters don't try to change the state law in the name of "gun control."

And you base this bullshit on what exactly???????????????????????
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:44:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

The sale to Evans wasn't illegal, officials said, though the weapon should eventually have been registered.

Dumbass reporter, as TN has no registery. Notice no quote marks were used nor a name of the "official".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:59:19 AM EDT
Get that revolver to a 'smith, or if it is a Taurus or Rossi, send it back for repair.

And good on this citizen for taking a stamd for himself, and good on the MPD and the PA for seeing this for what it was: Justifiable Self Defense!!!
Top Top