Posted: 1/7/2012 5:50:39 PM EDT
Still a great film to this day.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Still one of my all-time favorites.

I love the scene that starts with "Amazing Grace".
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The Original Documentary is MUCH better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Where did all the B17's for that film come from? I don't think we have that many in flying condition anymore?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did all the B17's for that film come from? I don't think we have that many in flying condition anymore?

There were only about seven or eight I believe used in the movie. Most were from the U.S. and several from Europe and sported multiple paint jobs for the flick.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to add that to the list to watch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I reenlisted in the cockpit of the Memphis belle when she was at mud island in Memphis
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I love that move as well. I think there was an air crash during the filming. I can't remember if it was a -17 or one of the chase B-25 camera planes. BTW, they switched out the George Fenton music on the youtube video for the takeoff. Sounds like maybe with the Pirates of the Caribbean song. I love the original soundtrack! It's on Amazon for anyone who might be interested.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Great movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The old 12  O'clock High movie had some great wartime footage in it.
Good movie also
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There were only about seven or eight I believe used in the movie. Most were from the U.S. and several from Europe and sported multiple paint jobs for the flick.

IIRC there were 3 used in the film.  The rest were CGI/special effects.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a B-17 arriving sometime real soon.
It only has a 63" wing span, but I hope to be flying it real soon!

B-17

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing my Dad always mentioned was how you could not be without your oxygen mask for any length of time at all-these shots of pilots and gunners at high altitude with no mask on are just for the dramatic effect. They would constantly have to check on each other, as they would not realize their masks weren't working,and pass out. I remember my Dad describing how he would grab a smoke up there with the mask held away from his face just enough that he could get a cig lit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I do recall in a B-17 (I got to climb up through one at the museum in Palm Springs), they did have electrical plugs in the waist gunner positions (and I think most others) for heated gear.   At altitude, with that thin skin, and open doors, it had to get fucking COLD AS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT.  

Those guys had some major brass balls.  Major.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#17]
There were actually 5 b17s used in the film. One crashed on takeoff and was destroyed.
What could have been a realistic depiction of the 8th AAF in combat, turned into a bunch of cheesy cliches,bad acting, loads of technical inaccuracies, poor model work(CGI didn't exist then) with little actual air footage.
The only reason to see it is because of those real b17s, you will never see that many real b17s in a movie again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll be the voice of dissent.

That movie was meh at best.

I loved the B-17s and the concept was great for the time. But, man, that was one boring, crappy stereotyped hollywood movie.

It could have been great but failed on so many levels.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I watched this the other day, its was sort of a low budget movie but still had a good story.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good movie also

Gosh, I had forgot about that. Need to look it up.

Thanks,

Danny
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#21]
It's the rookies.  They got the rookies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh danny boy, Oh danny boy,  I love you so.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Original Documentary is MUCH better.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good movie also

that's the movie my Dad (8th AAF vet) always liked best.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A slight highjack: To film the movie Catch 22 they gathered 17 flyable B-25s plus pilots and ground crew to keep them flying and thus, at the time, assembled the 7th largest air force in the world.  

Or so the story goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top