Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 2:47:33 AM EDT
I got a Cannon Powershot S2IS for Christmas that came with the 16mb card.

I know to get a bigger card but the manual of course recommends Cannon cards.Does it matter?

If not Walmart.com has these 2G cards on sale for $39.That is a killer deal for what I've seen other cards go for.

Is that overkill or "you cant have too much memory"?  

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#1]

It is exceedingly unlikely that your camera requires Canon cards.  However, there is no absolute gurantee that your camera will work with any particular brand BUT Canon.  

In my experience, a flash memory card is a flas memory card, no matter what format.  The only other issue I could imagine running into is if a device weren't able to address a large card (kind of like how computers often can't deal with a hard drive more than two or three times the size of the largest hard drives that existed when the computer was designed).

If your owner's manual doesn't say something like "16 MB to 256 MB only" I'd say you're safe getting a 2 gig card.  

Jim
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Speed matters on the card too. Get a slow card and it can slow how many pictures your camera can take in a short time.

ETA: They claim its 130x. If it actually operates at that speed then you should be ok.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt recommend trying anything higher than a 2GB card with a P&S. Seen too many people have problems with high cap cards on P&S's. I would stick with a better name brand like Lexar or Sandisk. I use regular speed sandisks and they dont have problems keeping up with the D70 in continuous (then again the buffer waits until you stop or hit 44pics before writing to the card). But if you are gonna use the video part of that camera, you will need at least 60X speed memory. As for having to stay with the Canon brand, you dont have to. I'd say maybe pick up a couple 512's or 1GB ones first before trying a 2GB just in case the camera wont recognize it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know the specifics of the camera, but you can't go wrong with a Sandisk 1-2 Gig Extreme III.  I have a 1 Gig for my Canon S80 and it is everything it is cracked up to be.  I paid $72 for it almost a year ago, and prices have halved in that time, or densities have doubled, if you prefer...

Extreme IV is out, in CF only so far, and only a special reader can take advantage of any speed gains.  Stick with the III.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I say get the biggest card you can find.  I bought a 2gb card for my Rebel XTI and it is too small.  I'll be upgrading it shortly.

Instead of "upgrading", get more than 1.  You never know when one card might crap out when you need it the most, or on a vacation with ALL of your pics on it.

My "main" card is a 2gb Lexar, with a 512mb SanDisk Ultra II and a 4GB MicroDrive as backups.

Hey, 2 is 1 and 1 is none!!  I thought you left the boards.  Good to see you posting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some sandisk 2gb cards at Office Max on sale a few weeks ago. Honest, I paid $24.00 each. They work great on video and do not drop frames. These are not listed as high speed cards but they do not drop frames.

Oh, and I am using them in my S2IS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top