Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 12:25:37 PM EDT
www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usrush053571367dec05,0,2613522.story

From March to September, Limbaugh picked up 1,733 hydrocodone pills, 90 OxyContin pills, 50 Xanax tablets and 40 pills of Kadian (time-release morphine), search warrant records show. The court documents indicate that sometimes less than a week would lapse between him getting different doctors' prescriptions.

Holy fuck!  

That comes out to about 11.5 pills a day!  I would think that half of that amount would be enough to cause “hearing problems” in even the fattest person!

Granted, he may have developed an insane tolerance to the painkillers, but combine the 1,913 pills he was “prescribed” with all the ones he’s supposed to have been supplied by his trusty housekeeper – and this guy is most certainly the poster boy for safety at Merck and Eli Lilly.  

Interestingly, no mention of how many of the pills he shared with South-Miami pre-operative transsexual prostitutes though…

Well – to be honest – there actually is no mention of pre-operative transsexual prostitutes anywhere in the article – but hey – this guy is enigmatic to the max!  I’m sure he’s got some more surprises up his sleeves.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if you've ever had disc problems (not computer discs), but I can tell you from personal experience that I averaged 8 pills of Vicodin a day until I got the epidural. Don't know about the other pills, but it is awful easy to get hooked on the hydrocodone.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, thank God I’ve never had anything like that (yet). I’m sure your pain was horrible.

Maybe Rush should have tried an epidural… instead of Doctor shopping (a class 3 felony) and becoming addicted to Oxycontin, Lorcet, Norco, hydrocodone, and Kadian (mixed in with a few Xanax and Clonodine just so that he could function quasi-normally).

Most addicts abuse their chosen substance to avoid pain by the way. I sure hope Rush knows this now. All drug addicts aren't criminals deserving a stint in an 8 x 4-foot prison cell.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people who are discussing the Rush painkiller issue miss the fact that when in a high state of pain, high doses of painkillers that would literally kill a normal person may barely have an effect on the person in pain.  

Something to think about.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I reckon that's why they call it addiction... [rolleyes]

I can tell you that there are few pains in the world that equal back/nerve pain. It's enough to drive you mad. I was fortunate the surgery helped me a good deal, but it failed in his.

[giggle]...and to think he STILL could out-think the Liberals! [lol]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Since he really hasn't said much about drugs since 1996, I have to believe that he holds an understanding of addictive medication that may not extend to folks simply looking to get 'high'.

I took Vicodin for a period after fracturing my back.  There is a bit of a difference between overusing perscription drugs to dull pain, and just getting high.

BTW - Rush isn't fat.  "Dolomite, 2003, 2003 meet Dolomite."
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
So if a person, or say a child, has accidentally taken an excessive amount of prescription painkillers, an appropriate action to take would be to put them under enough pain as to counter act the potential of a painkiller overdose?

Sounds like an idea borne of late night AM radio listening to be honest…

[img]http://www.breakingpoint.com/ART/WWcovers/limbaugh.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So if a person, or say a child, has accidentally taken an excessive amount of prescription painkillers, an appropriate action to take would be to put them under enough pain as to counter act the potential of a painkiller overdose?

Sounds like an idea borne of late night AM radio listening to be honest…

View Quote

No, it's a medical fact.  

I recently took a deposition of a doctor in a will contest case.  The onocologist testified to this very phenomena--that, when a patient is in a great deal of pain, he can withstand much higher doses of pain medication and NOT feel "high" than any normal person would ever be able to take with safety.  Indeed, with a high enough level of pain, doses that would put normal people into respiratory distress might not even phase someone with high levels of acute pain.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, it's a medical fact.  

I recently took a deposition of a doctor in a will contest case.  The onocologist testified to this very phenomena--that, when a patient is in a great deal of pain, he can withstand much higher doses of pain medication and NOT feel "high" than any normal person would ever be able to take with safety.  Indeed, with a high enough level of pain, doses that would put normal people into respiratory distress might not even phase someone with high levels of acute pain.  
View Quote

Amen.

When my mom was fighting (and losing) her battle with breast cancer, they gave her morphine nearing the end. At first, the dose given was enough to have knocked anyone else out, but she was wide awake and clear as a bell.

Eventually (quickly, fortunately), the dose got so high it knocked her out. The next day it stopped her breathing. End of story.

Thank you, Lord, for sparing her any unecessary pain....
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I can attest to the phenomenon described. A does that'll give you relief and a happy little buzz when you're in moderate pain, or one that would have you on cloud 9 if you took it purely recreationally, will give you only pain relief when you're in a bad way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess it depends on who you are.  If you or I were found in possession of so many painkillers, we'd be in jail.  Jim Irsay, Indianapolis Colts owner, had so many prescriptions that his doctor was charged and his pharmacist lost his license. Did Irsay end up in jail? Nope. He wasn't even charged even though he was the subject of an "investigation" by the DEA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
He sounds like my former wife....
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
i'd bet he has more than ear damage. Should we start a liver failure pool for pill junkie?

mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Post from Zaphod -
I reckon that's why they call it addiction... [rolleyes]
View Quote

'He jests at scars, that never felt a wound!' Mercurtio, [i]Romeo and Juliet[/i] Act ii. Sc. 2.1
View Quote

You wound me, my friend!

I was simply refering to Dolomite's shock at the figure 11.5 pills per day, not at the Great One himself!

To think that YOU would accuse ME of slamming El Rushbo! [:o]

I expect the Rapture any second, now! [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top