Posted: 1/17/2015 12:13:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That's only if the power fails.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had the disposable income to purchase a low 100K vehicle. I would purchase that.

It's a status symbol. I'm not wrenching shit on my own 100K vehicle, and I don't care if I can't get the hood open.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.  Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never met a BMW owner who wasn't a condescending asshole.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like the hood and the fuel door suck ass regardless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

not the hood, you have to do that every time.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

You don't get out much then.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except there's nothing to see or do under the hood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The hood thing is just dumb.

I get that most people don't work on their own cars anymore and there probably isn't much in the way of user serviceable stuff under there but still, one should be able to open the hood solo without damaging it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
That's not so much a car as it is a status symbol.

That said, the engineering is ridiculously complicated in most German cars I have tried to work on.  I bought my daughter a VW Beetle 5 or 6 years ago and I hate the damn thing.  I replaced the battery the other day and it was without a doubt the most complex battery switch I have ever done.  Ditto headlight replacement.  My wife and daughter stay out of the garage when I am working on it.  The swearing gets a bit intense.  Never again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Knew it would be a BMW as soon as I read the thread title.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Need more video of green sweater girl.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
German engineering= "Why use one part, when three, and several fasteners will work just as well."

Awesome car. One that an Automotive engineer, would design for another Automotive engineer.

For some reason the P7M8/13 comes to mind.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I had the disposable income to purchase a low 100K vehicle. I would purchase that.

It's a status symbol. I'm not wrenching shit on my own 100K vehicle, and I don't care if I can't get the hood open.
View Quote

People who need a status symbol don't deserve to be respected or have any status.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I have worked on the computers from my 3 series and replaced Taiwanese IC parts on the circuit boards and sensors and standard auto maintenance too but this is just a stupid nightmare.
Come on BMW...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#18]
A whopping 357bhp; stand the fuck back!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

People who need a status symbol don't deserve to be respected or have any status.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like nice watches.  Fuck those guys.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
1-1.5 minutes for the fuel door to open?!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thats not true because, um, no wait your right.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
They really couldn't integrate some kind of push button detent or something in the hood hinges to keep the hood open? Sticking foreign objects in the holes seems ghetto as hell for a $135k+ car .
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They really couldn't integrate some kind of push button detent or something in the hood hinges to keep the hood open? Sticking foreign objects in the holes seems ghetto as hell for a $135k+ car .
View Quote

That would add weight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I will stick with my '76 F-250
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ok. You must have difficulty imagining what having 100 million in the bank would feel like. Eventually you'd just buy ludicrously advanced and inclusive items out of sheer novelty. Guns, cars, art, boats etc.

Someone pulling 300k a year salary could buy a car like that for the relative cost comparison that I'd buy a Camry or Tacoma
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've known a lot of BMW owners... maybe (MAYBE) 2 of them weren't what you described. They ranged from rich guys to poor guys, and all had identical attitudes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Re-read what you wrote - and then go look in the mirror.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is the windshield washer fluid container?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Germans have a long standing tradition of overly complicated engineering.  Look at the suspensions on some of their WWII tanks.  I don't know why, it just is.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#32]
It's simply one of those cars that if you can afford it, you just take it to the dealership for them to do any normal maintenance on it. There's nothing wrong with the design, it's just not a fuck with it kind of vehicle. If you want to tinker with a car, go buy something else. I like the i8.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]
It's like it was designed by and for the German mechanics' union.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've known a lot of BMW owners... maybe (MAYBE) 2 of them weren't what you described. They ranged from rich guys to poor guys, and all had identical attitudes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a BMW tech at an independent shop.  The vast majority of our customers are normal people, some of them are pretty awesome, I have only ran into a few that sucked.  One of them even brought us all (everyone at the shop) lunch today since we checked the air in his Ferraris tires a few days ago when he stopped by.  I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I am a BMW tech at an independent shop.  The vast majority of our customers are normal people, some of them are pretty awesome, I have only ran into a few that sucked.  One of them even brought us all (everyone at the shop) lunch today since we checked the air in his Ferraris tires a few days ago when he stopped by.  I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy that can't check his own air pressure?

Did he have a man purse also?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:28:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg

I like it, I am trying to build me a euro spec E24 right now.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no clue if he has a man purse, maybe he does and it is too full of cash to fit an air chuck and compressor, no clue. I am pretty sure he can check his own tire pressure but since his Ferrari said the pressure was low and he has enough money that he doesnt have to get his hands dirty putting air into his tire, he stopped by.  As a kind gesture he bought us lunch.  I was pointing out that not all BMW drivers are assholes.  This guy daily drives an M5 that is beast mode.  He is also not an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.
View Quote
Oh he mad
I'm actually a sweetheart, believe it or not. I'll chalk up your assumption to having to deal with douchebags all day, since you're a BMW tech

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#40]

OP rides KTM and drives a 2015 WRX
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Condescending asshole checking in.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#42]
German engineering is too complicated. My wife had a Volkswagen Scirocco back in the day, The most complicated piece of shit made. You just couldn't work on it. I'll take the Japanese any day. I'm not looking to impress anyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Worked in a factory for large manufacturing company.
One year we bought machinery from Germany. It ran so slowly and put out so few parts the item we made went obsolete quicker than any we had previously made. The machines were so complicated. It took 25-20 mins. to take all the guards off just to START to work on it.  We had one machine that lost its program. I loaded started to  load the program off the laptop and after 20 mins. I restarted the load over again, thinking something must be wrong. Most of our programmable machines  could have it program loaded in a couple of mins. It actually took 4 hours to load the program.
When they ordered more new machinery for a newer product.....they ordered it from Germany again.......must be some kickbacks somewhere for somebody.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#44]

which of you has purchased this $136K base price "production concept car" which you are all currently complaining about?

c'mon, bmw sold 555 of these last year, one of the rich GD tycoons must own one, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i8

Cumulative sales totaled 555 units through December 2014.[   The i8 is sold out in the U.S. through 2015.
View Quote

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That would add weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would add weight.

The two screwdrivers in the glove box don't count toward that figure in the owner's manual.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A whopping 357bhp; stand the fuck back!
View Quote

which car do you own that goes 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds, and gets an EPA-rated 76MPG?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
German engineering is too complicated. My wife had a Volkswagen Scirocco back in the day, The most complicated piece of shit made. You just couldn't work on it. I'll take the Japanese any day. I'm not looking to impress anyone.
View Quote

My GF's Prius is pretty complicated. It took a half an hour of searching the manuals and online before I could figure out how to change the rear wiper blade.  You pop off a trim piece on the wiper arm, pull the blade up, and it unclips.  She's had the car since new(2009) and I was the first person to figure it out without telling her to "just take it to Toyota."

BTW, people with i8 money aren't DIYing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Need more video of green sweater girl.
View Quote

This ,car is a steaming pile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#50]
It doesnt make any damn sense to me but each to their own. Im from an area where the only people that make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year are farmers or construction guys so they still just drive normal vehicles.

I know some engineers i deal with that would have a huge orgy if they saw that car. They love nifty, overly complicated latches and fastening systems.

One of the senior engineers would blow a load in his pants the second you told him the hood takes 2 people to open and will crack easily if you dont.

They asked me to demonstrate a prototype piece of equipment in a training class when it got a full release bc we had the prototype in our area for a year trial. I couldnt get the damn panel latch safeties to release so i snapped them off with my pliers in front of the class and threw them on the ground without thinking about it. I looked up and everyone is staring at me and the engineer stopped lecturing. I told them we did that with all our demo models. We couldnt get them open otherwise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top