Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 8:00:40 PM EDT
I am trying to make up some Med Packs for my car, my wife's car and my house. Can you advise what kit/gear to get?

For gunshot wounds or serious open trauma = I am curisous to hear what you think about products like Quick Clot and the Shrimp shell extract clotting agent.  Is that stuff reliable - worth the $?

Or will tampons be enough to "plug the hole" so to speak?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I am certified in first aid for the professional rescuer and CPR, but I havn't heard of quick clot or shrimp shell extract.  As for tampons, you can use them, but you need to take them out after a few hours or you will suffer from toxic shock syndrome [spelling?].
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Just do a web search for "first aid kit".
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
was looking for more advice than look for first aid kit...was hoping that you someone could provide a name/brand that I could get instead of the Johnson and Johnson playground kit.

You haven't heard about Quick Clot? My understanding is that it was used extensively in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
the quick clot is also called emt gel

is a collagen gel that allows for nasty gashes and wounds to set..and allow for normal platelet adhesion.

its pretty wild stuf..you can order it of all places in most hunting dog magazines.

also look for a couple of military wrap around bandages..forceps..scissors..some thread..triple antibiotic ointment..matches...and ammo...

haha
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, take a First Aid class (Advanced is best).... Being that I am a former EMT, your best bet is stabilize the patient and get professional help. I wouldn't be putting Quick Clot on anything, especially a bullet hole. Number one priority is stopping the bleeding. Then treat for shock, prepare yourself to give CPR, and get professional help.

Don't carry anything in your First Aid Kit that you don't know how to use. Using something you are unfamiliar with could cause more harm than good.

I know guys who carry full field surgical kits in their B.O.B.'s. I ask then what they have them for. Their reply is "in case I need it"..I then ask them if they know how to use them. Their answer is usually "no"..

This should give you a start.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quik Clot is not a collagen gel - it is a mineral compound that increases coagulation by absorbing the fluid contained in blood - basically sucks out all the moisture, speeding up the clotting cascade.  It's actual ingredient is "secret" but several medical papers have identified it as being made of zeolite (often found in odor absorbers for basements/lockers/etc.. -not that you should use them as a substitute ;) )

It's use can cause local tissue damage due to an exothermic reaction, and it is designed for use on wounds where conventional methods have failed - direct pressure, etc...

My suggestion for a car "trauma" kit: gauze, lots of gauze; triangular bandages, some type of sterile irrigating fluid; CPR mask, blanket to keep patient warm; Anything else will be based on your level of training.  Start out w/ CPR/First Aid - see where it takes you.

Don't put anything not sterile in a wound - sanitary napkins & tampons fall into this category.  Sanitary napkins work ok  as an additional dressing, over a sterile dressing, to provide more absorption.  Plugging holes w/ a tampon is a bad idea - they do absorb well, but they are not sterile, can leave foreign material in the wound, etc... - plain old gauze will get you out of most jams (a few sterile 4x4s will work just as well, and have a higher chance of remaining "clean" during application - applying nonsterile gauze over the sterile dressing to make a bulky dressing is typically ok).  Especially bad idea for chest wounds.  If the wound is large & gaping, packing it w/ sterile gauze is fine - you just don't want to shove anything into areas you can't examine thoroughly.

Again, get some training.

Sam

edit - good suggestions below for gloves - nitrile gloves are a bit tougher than latex (and you don't have to worry about latex allergies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am trying to make up some Med Packs for my car, my wife's car and my house. Can you advise what kit/gear to get?

For gunshot wounds or serious open trauma = I am curisous to hear what you think about products like Quick Clot and the Shrimp shell extract clotting agent.  Is that stuff reliable - worth the $?

Or will tampons be enough to "plug the hole" so to speak?

My suggestion would be to purchase a kit or kits form someone like American Red Cross. Red Cross has a few different kits. They have from  famliy sized diaster kits all the way down to a small kits for your vehical. Also enroll in at least a American Heart Assciation first aid program and CPR program. If you have the time enroll yourself in a First responder class. Lots of good info that odds are you will use some day and the class is short, 1-2 months, 1-2 nights a week. O ya, on the tampon thing, direct pressure and a dressing most always controls bleeding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Training is a must..

That and stand by for my next post...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Leave the advanced stuff to the advanced people.  Especially things like Quick Clot.
There is SOOOOOoo much stuff that you really need that you wont have room for it anyways.....

1. Gloves.  Latex has pretty much gone by the wayside due to people having allergic reactions. Syntril,Nytril,etc.. etc... tons of synthetic gloves out there to be had. A box of 50 should run you $6-$10. And you can split that box up into your kits in ziplock bags. Also a pair of clear protective glasses that will protect you from getting blood in your eyes.

2. Plain old bandaids. Use your imagination... And at least a few different sizes...

3. A roll of duct tape. If size is an issue then use a half roll and squeeze it flat to compact better.

4. EMERGENCY BLANKET/Space blanket.  Compact foil blanket that will reflect radiant body heat back twoards you. 1-2 of these atleast. More is better. This is also very important if your treating someone for shock, as their core temperature is paramount.

5. Sterile water.  Good for irrigating wounds and drinking if it comes to it. Most medical supply places sell 250ml and 500ml sealed bottles for about $2-$3.  Carry all you can.

6. Non-sterile 4"x4"s.  Gauze Pads that are good for wiping wounds and covering anything a bandaid wont. Why non-sterile? Theyre cheaper and have less packaging making them more compact. Odds are whatever your going to be dealing with is definately not going to be sterile.  A sleeve of about 100 is about $8. And you can split it and put them in ziplock baggies to protect them and keep them dry/somewhat clean.

7. Tampons. Good idea and they work to "Patch holes" Kerlix and krinkle gauze may be better but if size and cost are issues, tampons will do the job. [also ealier someone mentioned "toxic shock syndrome" what the hell else are you going to use that isnt going to need to be changed every few hours? And for that if you are not receiving advanced care after a few HOURS, you are ]

9. Sterile 5"x9" combine dressing. These are called a few things such as combination dressing, or abdominal dressing. Having two or three is a good idea for when you need something that is sterile, for stuff such as large open wounds. They run a couple bux each but you only need a few.

9. Trauma Shears. Also known as EMT Scissors or EMT Shears or "Penny Cutters" dont pay the 3 easy payments of $29.95 for these on QVC they only cost $4 at any EMS supplier. Or even a sturdy pair of kitchen shears.

10. Flashlights!!!  A 2 or 3 D cell Maglight is the best. LED lights are really good too. You will want alteast 3 light sources. A couple of the Double A Maglights can go a long way.

11. If you are asthmatic or someone in your family is, a spare inhalor can be a lifesaver. I dont recommend keeping spare meds in your kit/car because they will expire and get really hot during the summer.

12. Safety pins. Bigger the better, and have a half dozen. Their uses are endless...

13. Utility knife... A few cheap $3 knives really come in handy.

14. Window Punch.  These are also called a “Center Punch” for steel work and can be found in most hardware stores.

Ok here are some pics of the gear that myself and my family carry. I am Certified as a Basic EMT so there are a few things I can have and use that may get you in trouble so dont copy whats in the pics. Just go with the above...

Ok pic number 1.

This is the bag that I setup for my mom and sister to keep in their trucks last Christmas. It is a HAWK brand bag and I think its made in the US. I have had several of these over the years and they are the most common with all of the EMS and fire Dept.'s around here.  Not huge but it does the job.

This is the front pouch on the bag, here you see a window punch, trauma shears, penlight, and a Afterbite pen. Afterbite pens are for bee stings and other bug bites. Its not an Autoinjector, its just a topical treatment.

Main compartments of the bag. Lots to see here...

Front compartment contents... Gloves, Mouth to Mask barrier "for CPR" bulb syringe for suctioning Airway, and some Oropharangeal Airways "OPA's". Not for those not trained to use them.... Also a knife and a bottle of alcohol gel for waterless hand disinfecting. "Good Stuff"

Rear compartment contents.... Bottle of Burn Gel "for minor burns only", Hydrocortizone cream, SAM splint, Kerlix x2, and a bloodstopper bandage.

OK NOW FOR MY GEAR!!

Conterra AID Belt II with a Pocket mask and a Smith&Wesson rescue knife on the outsides.

Internal compartment.... Nice dividers but soo much stuff it would take me all night to list....

The S&W rescue knife ranks way high on cool factor, but a $3 knife and a $3 window punch do the same job...

Mini-survival keychain. Homemade, just take some string and some tape and go at it!

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't carry anything in your First Aid Kit that you don't know how to use. Using something you are unfamiliar with could cause more harm than good.

Take classes... or get EMT certified...

If you buy a pre-made kit, make sure you know what's in it and all the idfferent injuries that each thing can be used for. Nothing is worse than having the right tools for the job and not even knowing it until after the fact.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#11]
A thread with good suggestions and links;

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=241220

Tj
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#12]
fng,

nice kit. i am still using my original thomas pack i bought in 1986.

As for a kit there are a few things that are a MUST.

Rescue mask
EMT shears
latex gloves
roller gauze
pressure bandage

Gear up the rest of it for the enviornment you need it for. ie.. you won't need splints for a general bag. you might if it's for hunting/hiking. Remember the more you have the heavier it gets. 90% of emergency first aid is common sense. The best rule of thumb is

if you are not 100% sure what to do stabalize and do not move them until trained help arrives. you can do additional damage with incorrect treatment.

i have never seen a bullet wound that could not be treated with a pressure bandage. leave the tampons for your wife/girlfriend.

that will get you through most trauma oriented problems. Anything much beyond this you should have some type of training. Not so much from a "how to" perspective but a legal issue. The last thing you want is to render aid at a wreck and get sued by the idiot you saved because you made a mistake. Many states have good samartan laws but a good lawyer will still rape you in a civil case.
I have pretty much resigned myslef to stopping and using my cell phone to call 911 if there is no immediate threat to life. I let my paramdic license lapse a few years ago. It's not worth the legal hastle in most cases.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#13]
As an ex-pecker checker(88-92)
I totally agree with getting yourself some training.
As for a kit/bag check out cheaper than dirt, they've got some decent bags already setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top