Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 2:17:15 PM EDT

My Mom wants me to sign her up for a Medicare RX Plan.  How do I help her decide which of 50 plans to choose from?  I don't know one from another.  AARP sent her a form to sign up with them, but it looks like they require her to pay 25% of the med costs. Not sure if I'm understanding that right or not.

All she takes right now are a few allergy meds.

Please HELP me before she banishes me to the basement

She usually does this kind of stuff herself, but she spent so long on hold with them today her arm started to ache, then their phone system hung up on her. She was not able to continue with another try, so asked me to be her hero.

Please help me help her. She used to buy me BBs and ammo when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a Senior Glenners in your area?

If so, go there and talk to some people and see what they think.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've seen and heard the new plans aren't worth a damn. We have alot of seniors buying from us(canadaprescriptionassistance.com) as they claim that it is cheaper for them, when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]

This new RX plan goes into effect 1 Jan.  You have until 15 May to enroll. If you decide to enroll later they fine you monthly until you have paid off what it would have cost to "join" from the start. I'm not clear if the fine then stops or you keep paying it for life!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged, my Mom had me look at the same thing, and damn, they are confusing!

Michael
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Welcome to the club!

Try here, it's a link to a medicare help site.

I've been there several times today and will now be a frequent vistor
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks everyone for the replies and the IMs. She decided to go with AARP for the RX coverage and is keeping the original Medicare Part A and B.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Just saw a Walgreens comercial where if you take them a list of meds, they will tell you what plans cover them.  I'm taking my Mom's this week.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top