Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 5:27:09 PM EDT
I talked to the cadre at my AFROTC detachment regarding the DoD physical and medical disqualification. I have been receiving allergy shots for about 4 months now (seasonal allergies). I am worried that I will be medically disqualified from contracting with the USAF because of this. However the Det. Commander said that as long as I have not been medically diagnosed by a doctor to have allergies (this is reflected on my "medical record") I should not tell the DoD docs conducting the physical that I have said allergies.

My question is (n00b question): Define "medical records" because I'm certain my Allergist has records of my having allergies and receiving treatment, but I'm not sure about the University's medical records of me and my general physician.

I mean, asthma cannot be waived (I don't have asthma), but can allergies be waived?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Medical records are highly fragmented between institutions, meaning the hospital you went to will have your medical records but the gov't won't unless you ask to transfer them.  Rather, the USAF will probably just start a medical record for you while you're in the service.

So unless you tell them you've been getting shots, there's no way for them to know, just as your commander said.

good advice above.

Don't tell the DOD docs a damn thing.   They are looking hard to disqualify you and anything you mention can end your career before it has begun.     YOU ARE IN PERFECT HEALTH, PERIOD.   Lie!.   I saw two buddies lose flying slots because they thought honesty was the best policy, and mentioned minor medical problems.     Minor problems are no longer disqualifiers AFTER the USAF has spent 500K on your training.

Start planning now on how to prevent any traces of allergy/other drugs from showing on their tests.   If they ask you to send them your civilian med records, drag your feet, delay, delay delay.   When I went thru this process,   my civ doc never did send in my records, and I thought that would prevent me entering active duty, but it didn't.  

If you're doing an exhaustive flight physical prior to entering active duty, you may get the same physical when you arrive at your training base.   Just remember to keep your answers the same, on the 5 page medical questionnaires.   How?  by remembering you are in PERFECT HEALTH, no problems, no history, no issues.   And when the doc starts grilling you that "NOBODY is THAT healthy", play dumb and apologize for not having any medical problems.   If you have any scars, they will find them and demand an explanation, so have a good one ready.   If you have any minor defects, like one leg 1/4" shorter than the other, learn how to hide it when the doc looks for it.

Good Luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top