Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 11:49:40 AM EDT
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0419vasister19-ON.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To confused people, any scapegoat will do. The worst part of all is that WE are next.

Werd.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you reading a different article?  What in this is slamming the sister?

Gunman's sister works on Iraq team
Associated Press
Apr. 19, 2007 08:31 AM

WASHINGTON - The sister of the gunman responsible for the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees billions of dollars in American aid for Iraq.

Sun Kyung-Cho is employed by the Iraq Reconstruction Management Office, according to U.S. officials and a State Department staff directory that says she works from an annex near the department's headquarters in Washington.

Messages left on her office voicemail, in which she identifies herself as "Sun Cho," were not immediately returned on Wednesday. advertisement  

The Virginia Tech gunman was her brother, Cho Seung-Hui. Thirty-three people died in the rampage Monday, including the 23-year-old student, who committed suicide.

Spokesman Sean McCormack declined to discuss Sun Cho's status but told reporters "this person is not a direct-hire employee of the State Department." He declined to comment further, citing privacy concerns. Other U.S. officials confirmed she works for a contractor.

The office was set up by President Bush to coordinate the reconstruction program in Iraq and offers jobs to "highly skilled and motivated United States citizens" to work at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, according to State Department documents. The office also has several Washington-based positions.

"Our mission is to support the sovereign, democratic rights of the Iraqi people to govern themselves, defend their country, and rebuild their economy," the office says in its recruiting brochure. "This ongoing mission is one that is unprecedented in size and scope."

Sun Cho's current job is her third stint with the State Department, according to Princeton University, where she graduated with an economics major in 2004.

She previously worked as a summer intern at the department's International Labor Office and held a three-month economics internship in the summer before her senior year at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, sponsored by Princeton's International Internship Program.

"They were the most amazing three months of my life," Cho told the university's weekly bulletin in Nov. 24, 2003, article about the program, describing her experiences in the Thai capital.

"I found that the best way to get to know the city was taking the skytrain to random locations and walking around for a couple of hours," it quoted her as saying.

"I think it is always easy for Americans to maintain an American way of life abroad. The best thing is to avoid these traps and go out there and immerse yourself in a new culture."

The article described a visit to a border town where she saw deplorable working conditions for Burmese migrant workers.

"She said the experience was so profound that after returning to campus, she changed the focus of her senior thesis to a more labor-related topic," the article said.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To confused people, any scapegoat will do. The worst part of all is that WE are next.

Yeah, but we have economic and political clout and can "crucify" back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
See, she works for Bush, it's Bush's fault!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the folks who work for DoS today are contractors.  I was one a few years ago, doing IT work.  I enjoyed the job and only left because the commute into DC was a nightmare.

Sun Cho is probably a completely normal woman who is devastated by what her brother did at VT.  I think the media should leave her alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Most of the folks who work for DoS today are contractors.  I was one a few years ago, doing IT work.  I enjoyed the job and only left because the commute into DC was a nightmare.

Sun Cho is probably a completely normal woman who is devastated by what her brother did at VT.  I think the media should leave her alone.

+1

Max
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What’s the point in the media reporting this? I’m sorry for the woman, I really am. She must be going through hell right now. Now, on top of everything else, she’s got asshole reporters calling her office, pestering her at work, and giving out personal information about her.

Damned media.

While I’m on the subject… Why the hell are they reporting on the killer like this? All they are doing is glorifying that nutcase. Since much of American culture worships fame now, this tells every pathetic loser out there that they can become immortalized if they just kill a bunch of people in some gruesome fashion. They have to know this. It’s almost like they want more shootings so they can get better ratings.

Maybe we really do need Media Control in this country. The Founding Fathers never realized just how destructive to society an out of control media with modern technology could be… (Just a thought.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
To confused people, any scapegoat will do. The worst part of all is that WE are next. h,

But will we? Or are we going to simply accept the coming storm and the permanent GCA of 2007,... and just keep bitching about it?

This time, if we don't pull our collective heads out of our collective asses, they will succeed. Forever.  

We really need to focus our efforts, and not let this crap happen again. The numbers are there; we are potentially more prepared than gun owners were in 1934, 1968, 1989, & 1993 because of the internet. But look at the board - everybody is running around yelling "The sky is falling", and mag prices are soaring as we type (yes, it's only panic buying,.. so far).

Right now we have no focus,... no "center". We need to change that.

If you need the addresses of people to contact, please look here:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=568349
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree. This poor woman's name and place of employment should never have appeared in any "News" report or story. This just demonstrates,once again, the moral bankruptcy of the News Media in America. She has absolutely no bearing on the story,and should have been left to her grief in private. I also don't think these demented videos and photos should have been released at all. What purpose do they serve,other than to insult the memory of all the innocent victims,and possibly,to inspire other freaks to do something similar, so that they can have a national forum for their psychotic rants?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yup....
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if that is not an obvious HIT PIECE, I don't know what is.

Then gunman is dead and media is on prowl for someone to hang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top