Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:47:19 PM EDT
Am I the only person who can't believe the amount of manufactured fear and hype over Hurricane Rita?

Politicians ordering a mass evacuation of Houston? WHY???? It is 50 miles inland and not in any real danger.

Hurricane Carla in 1961 was a more powerful Hurricane that hit the Houton area and only 21 people died (mostly due to fallen power lines ie.--electrocution-fire). Houston was not evacuated in 1961.

www.srh.noaa.gov/crp/docs/research/hurrhistory/Carla/carla.html

Politcal cowardice and media bullying is scaring the crap out of people--The pols don't want to be seen as doing nothing, even though that is better than a horrendous mass evacuation at 2 miles per hour up an overloaded interstate highway system.

Houston is not New Orleans. It is not below sea level and populated by welfare queens.

I live in northern Illinois and I get tired of the weather shreikers making a big deal out of an average snowfall. A basic snowfall is turned into a "STORMWATCH" by the news media. Store shelves are emptied as if armageddon is coming.

I remember when I was a kid (I am now 44), the weather was just the weather. Nothing to fear, just a little snow, an occasional t-storm. Now they are dangerous blizzards and deadly electrical storms. HIDE IN THE BASEMENT EVERYBODY!!

AM I too cavalier about this Hurricane? Or do I have a point? I bet nothing happens to Houston except some downed tress and powerlines. The same thing that always happened before this latest Hurricane hysteria post New Orleans. It is no reason to evacuate 5 MILLION PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:29:03 PM EDT
Yes you are too cavalier… and yes the media hyped the storm,
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:40 PM EDT
The media sucks ass. The amount of hype put into this is wayyyy overboard.
I about puked earlier when watching the local garbage and they put a few City and State officials on the tube to spew their own puke. To top things off they gave Sheila Jackson Lee her own five seconds. What a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ThunderStick:
Am I the only person who can't believe the amount of manufactured fear and hype over Hurricane Rita?

Politicians ordering a mass evacuation of Houston? WHY???? It is 50 miles inland and not in any real danger.

Hurricane Carla in 1961 was a more powerful Hurricane that hit the Houton area and only 21 people died (mostly due to fallen power lines ie.--electrocution-fire). Houston was not evacuated in 1961.

Politcal cowardice and media bullying is scaring the crap out of people--The pols don't want to be seen as doing nothing, even though that is better than a horrendous mass evacuation at 2 miles per hour up an overloaded interstate highway system.

Houston is not New Orleans. It is not below sea level and populated by welfare queens.

I live in northern Illinois and I get tired of the weather shreikers making a big deal out of an average snowfall. A basic snowfall is turned into a "STORMWATCH" by the news media. Store shelves are emptied as if armageddon is coming.

I remember when I was a kid (I am now 44), the weather was just the weather. Nothing to fear, just a little snow, an occasional t-storm. Now they are dangerous blizzards and deadly electrical storms. HIDE IN THE BASEMENT EVERYBODY!!

AM I too cavalier about this Hurricane? Or do I have a point? I bet nothing happens to Houston except some downed tress and powerlines. The same thing that always happened before this latest Hurricane hysteria post New Orleans. It is no reason to evacuate 5 MILLION PEOPLE!

Maybe someone should point out that in 1961 "5 MILLION PEOPLE!" did not live in the Houston/Galveston area. Many more people live closer to the coast today as well. I personally live less than a mile from Galveston Bay and will not stay for anything over Cat 1. If you were paying attention, only the low lying and coastal areas were under mandatory evacuations.

I myself only went to the north side of Houston. And I will admit that many did not need to go. But who are we to judge the decisions others made to protect their families.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:41:57 PM EDT
After the incompetent showing of all levels of govt for the below-sea level NOLA disaster, the gooberment is now prepared to spare no expense showing how benevolent and prepared it is.

It's like a pendulum. Under-prepared, over-prepared.

The media and the gooberment feed each other. I don't watch much televsion, or pay much attention to politics except tax and gun issues either.

Hell even I could likely get a million dollar SBA loan after this nonsense. And I didn't lose a damned thing, and I'm white.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:46:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
After the incompetent showing of all levels of govt for the below-sea level NOLA disaster, the gooberment is now prepared to spare no expense showing how benevolent and prepared it is.

It's like a pendulum. Under-prepared, over-prepared.

The media and the gooberment feed each other. I don't watch much televsion, or pay much attention to politics except tax and gun issues either.

Hell even I could likely get a million dollar SBA loan after this nonsense. And I didn't lose a damned thing, and I'm white.

I see you don't get it either. It's not the governments place. What your seeing is the difference of people who are prepared to take responsibilty for themselves. We in Texas don't expect that anyone will come get us. So with the very real possibility of a Cat 5 coming ashore on Houston/Galveston many left.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:05:34 PM EDT

You have a very valid point. The NO Billions that are coming are the direct result of 24/7 cable news pics of all the poor black folks.. And regarding these storms, I saw a guy on FOX 2 weeks ago from MS who was bragging that this would be the 4th time his house had been rebuilt. The people who live in harms way on the Gulf coast know the risks, if they dont like it they should move but they sure as hell shouldnt expect the rest of us to pay the price for their choice to live there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:07:11 PM EDT
i think people forget that Texas is NOT below sealevel!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 3:10:51 PM EDT by 52brandon]
it was over-hyped. Even so, if the media didn't make a big deal out of it and it did hit as a class 5, people would be throwing blame around for not warning them. I guess it's better to err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By soccermike7:
i think people forget that Texas is NOT below sealevel!

I think that you forgot that it takes a long time to evac the 4 largest city in the nation and that when most left it was a 175mph Cat 5 and predicted to hit just west of Galveston. Which would be a worse case situation for the area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:11:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By crowboy:

You have a very valid point. The NO Billions that are coming are the direct result of 24/7 cable news pics of all the poor black folks.. And regarding these storms, I saw a guy on FOX 2 weeks ago from MS who was bragging that this would be the 4th time his house had been rebuilt. The people who live in harms way on the Gulf coast know the risks, if they dont like it they should move but they sure as hell shouldnt expect the rest of us to pay the price for their choice to live there.

+1
Most people in these areas are aware, prepare, insure (themselves and property) or otherwise make arrangements for these types of events. The hype and garbage coming outta NO is a result of mostly unprepared (lazy), and unaware people. They don't need a free fucking meal ticket and if thats the case then Texas should get bizzillions of dollars just because we are having a storm. Where's my check?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:25:59 PM EDT
Just as Katrina was making landfall, we all heard the same thing, it was overhyped, it wasn't much of a storm, etc.

Lets wait and see.

It was inevitable right after that disaster that the hype would be running high, but there's also real risk to the energy sector, that will be the story on Rita, rather than human suffering as with Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:14:38 PM EDT
Fuck the media. It's getting to the point where a true patriotic act will be dragging reporters into the streets and capping 'em with three to the head.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:27:15 PM EDT
I agree.

Watching TV weather over the years it's become obvious that ANYTHING outside of a nice, sunny day in the 70's has to have some element of "peril", "risk" or "danger" about it.

Ooops, sorry. That "sunny day" has risks associated with UV exposure and possible high pollen count so I guess EVERYTHING other than a climate controled house or office is a risk.

Ooops, sorry. Just saw the Sharper Image commercial saying that indoor polution is a health risk.

Hell, I'm in MT right now and I heard a weather report using the phrase "getting chilly" when describing the temps heading for the 50's IN FUCKING LATE SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!! It's the ROCKIES for God's sake!!! There will be FEET of snow on the ground shortly and temps in the 50's now qualify as "chilly"?!?!?

What a nation of fucking pussified wimps we've become.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By qualityhardware:
Fuck the media. It's getting to the point where a true patriotic act will be dragging reporters into the streets and capping 'em with three to the head.

You must be a bad shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:34:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By qualityhardware:
Fuck the media. It's getting to the point where a true patriotic act will be dragging reporters into the streets and capping 'em with three two to the head.

there's a lot of them and we may need all the ammo we can get.
Top Top