Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 10:44:32 AM EDT
I would like to know if what looks like the the water pump pulley on a 93 Buick LeSabre can be changed out by itself or is it necessary to replace the whole water pump?  

Also I would like to know if the pulley is easily replaced or is there more to it than it looks?

The pulley is smooth and located in the center of the engine on a aluminum casting which to me looks like the water pump. Thanks

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I would like to know if what looks like the the water pump pulley on a 93 Buick LeSabre can be changed out by itself or is it necessary to replace the whole water pump?  

Also I would like to know if the pulley is easily replaced or is there more to it than it looks?

The pulley is smooth and located in the center of the engine on a aluminum casting which to me looks like the water pump. Thanks

Thanks.
View Quote

All cars that I've ever worked on have the water pump and the pulley as two different parts.  The pulley is always screwed to the water pump my 3-4 screws.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the newer cars have a pulley that is pressed on.  You need to get a pulley puller.  You can rent them from some parts stores.  But you will probably have to pull the water pump off to remove the pulley.  I usually replace both.(water pump and pulley)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Water pump pulleys are pretty easy to get off (alternator pulleys are harder..)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
rpd_fire and SocomCen thanks for replying.

I know they are individual parts but this pulley looks like a two piece deal.  The outer piece has 6? small bolts around the outside that look like they hold the outer body of the pulley (that touches the belt) onto the inner body which has the bearing.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
tc6969 I was hoping a GM mechanic might be see this thread and offer help.  This pulley has more going on than your standard pulley, I want an expert's advice before I take it apart and fxxk it all up, If an expert said it would be better to take it in I would.

Where I trade on Saturdays the small crew is  high school and women employees that I don't feel comfortable taking advice from. Thanks  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The water pump pulley is held on with 4 bolts.
As a G.M. (Buick) parts manager I sell the water pumps daily, but dont recall ever selling a pulley.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Better question: Why do you want to replace the water pump pulley?

I know they are individual parts but this pulley looks like a two piece deal. The outer piece has 6? small bolts around the outside that look like they hold the outer body of the pulley (that touches the belt) onto the inner body which has the bearing.
View Quote

I don't know much about Le Sabres in particular, but that sounds kinda like a crank pulley...
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know much about Le Sabres in particular, but that sounds kinda like a crank pulley...
View Quote

Me neither, but most crank pulleys I've seen are held on with one (huge) bolt. On the other hand, 6 bolts does seem like a lot just to hold a water pump pully on...
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like the pulley mounts with as little as one bolt, according to my [b]1994 Lesabre Factory Service Manual[/b].  Also the end of the chapter mentions torque on the coolant pump to pulley bolt, size 13 (mm?) and 115 lb. inches or torque.  Also those 6 bolts you see hold the whole coolant pump assembly in, so if you take them off you can remove the pump from the engine.  Might be a good time to just stick in a new pump if you are having problems with the pulley?

If anyone can tell me how easy or hard it is to replace the cruise control servo on a Lesabre I'd appreciate it!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had one vehicle where there is a fan,a fan clutch, a pulley, and then the pump.  Several several small bolts held part of it together, and one big one held the rest

Quoted:  Better question: Why do you want to replace the water pump pulley?
View Quote

Ditto that.  What's wrong with the pulley?  I think there may be more to this problem.....

If in fact you are looking at the water pump and the pulley is wobbling, it may be the pump rather than the pulley that's bad.  Or did something fall into it while the engine was running???

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys, avengeusa has described the problem I am having, must be the pumps shaft and not the pulley. The way the pulley is made you can't see the pumps shaft.

I thought coolant would have leaked out if it was the pumps shaft the way the pulley was wobbling. Thanks everyone, it was interesting  reading your comments.

avengeusa can you tell me if it's a simple take off or is there something I should know before I get at it.

GunLvrPHD thanks for the trouble you went through to post that info, I will print it out and use it tomorrow,  I really do appreciate it bud.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Now it sounds like we're hitting the real problem. Yes, a wobbly or vibrating water pump pulley is caused by bad bearings in the pump itself. I guess the shaft seal hasn't gone yet, but if the bearings are bad, it will probably start leaking soon.

I'd also take a look at your coolant to see if it might have caused the problem. Running pure water could cause corrosion which might lead to bearing failure among other things. It should be 20-50 percent antifreeze, depending on the climate. Check belt tension too - it might have been overtensioned at some point, possibly contributing to the problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay the manual lists two more torque specs:

Coolant pump to block mount: 29 lb feet.
Coolant pump to front cover: 97 lb inches.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks GunLvrPHD your info helps a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this the GM V6 with the 'integrated internal water pump', or is that another one?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Dave_A

I'm going to try and get a picture of the pulley/pump, I can't answer your question.

I just hope the camera's lens doesn't fog over when it get's out side.   Check back later thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Just wondering...

I know some people with 199X Grand Ams, who constantly complain about how much is internal/integrated into the motor (or on what requires removing the motor to service)... IIRC, the LeSabre and Grand Am use the same engines (3.4/3.8)...

I don't know much about them myself, as my experience with GM is in the RWD V8 area (and yes, GM (Cadillac) DOES make a FWD V8, for whatever (absurd) reason)... And I definately have no complaints (apart from the fact that the only RWD V8 GM car I can buy new at this moment is the Vette. Fortunately, my current one is doing just fine...)...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
The pump/pulley is the part with the rusted cover directly in the center of the photo.

[Img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p7995a01805d405bedabcdf734a128126/fcde66dc.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I am glad you posted the question, I learned a bit too.  Hope my water pump doesn't die but if it does I'll fix it myself.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top