Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:44:45 PM EDT
I have a truck I took in to get some work done to it and when I got it back a few days later I noticed that some of the parts that I bought were not used and they reused the stock parts and kept the new ones and a $300 craftsman too set and a surefire light was missing from the truck. I stopped by and pretty much said shit happens and maby they took it out and forgot to put it back in the truck, "not accusing, giving the benefit of the doubt"  and they said they took nothing out but will ask around. there is only 2 guys in the shop including the guy I told this to.

I personally want to hang the guy but is there anything I can legally do or is it just a life lesson?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a truck I took in to get some work done to it and when I got it back a few days later I noticed that some of the parts that I bought were not used and they reused the stock parts and kept the new ones and a $300 craftsman too set and a surefire light was missing from the truck. I stopped by and pretty much said shit happens and maby they took it out and forgot to put it back in the truck, "not accusing, giving the benefit of the doubt"  and they said they took nothing out but will ask around. there is only 2 guys in the shop including the guy I told this to.

I personally want to hang the guy but is there anything I can legally do or is it just a life lesson?
View Quote

life lesson..but don't go back..I hate shitty mechanics..I would file a complaint with the BBC, and the owner....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
File a report with the police. Give the owner the report number.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Uhh. There really isn't such a thing as something possibly being stolen, as far as I am concerned. It either is or isn't stolen, or they moved your stuff out of the way and forgot to put it back.

Did you pay the mechanics bill? If not you could always pull the "I'll pay my bill when my shit is returned, or when someone gives me a good explanation" routine. Expect it to back fire if you can't pull it off just right.

Either way, your shit is gone. Do what ya gotta do to find it. A police report may work wonders. When officer smiley and his partner bad cop show up at the mechanics door with a mouth full of questions, it just may foster some new found cooperation on the mechanics part.

Are you sure your stuff was actually in the truck, and not recently removed for some project around the house, or what ever? Do they lock the vehicles in the mechanics lot? They damn well fucking better, I would hope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate a thief soI leave nothing of value in any of my cars.  That especially goes for mechanics, car washes, and the local inspection place.

I'd call the cops OP.  See what they can shake out for you.  If you paid with a CC, dispute it now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
No excuse for the parts, but is it possible another person or customer stole your stuff?

Either way the shop should make it right
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That is where I would start.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I'd do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the military and the shop was on the infamous veterans blvd, the road with all the titty bars and car dealerships right off post. As for the comment with the BBB it only works if they are registered with the BBB which they are not...I looked. The day I took the truck there I personally saw the items in the truck because I used them that day. I live in the barracks and I know they are not in my room.

yes i paid the bill...in cash.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Police report, go back to the shop and tell them one's been filed.  Look around suspiciously to see if your stuff is in the shop, they'll get irritated and ask you to leave.   Snap a few pictures while you can.  Obviously don't plan to do business with them again.

When I take my vehicles for service, I leave nothing of value inside or I lock it up, especially remove a garage door opener if you have one.  How'd you like to have that "go missing"?   As a rule it's good not to have valuables in your car anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Police report and then find out if it can be added to the list of places that are off limits . Consider it a lesson . I now empty my car before it leaves my sight .
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Does he have employees?

It's not usually the owner that pulls that shit, but the retards he hires.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Leave an online review.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Police report, consumer protection might be a possibility depending on if you have a department there. Spread the word at the barracks and on face book and anywhere else you can think of, Yelp possibly. They ripped you off and you both know it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What you should do is up to do, if it were me i would make sure there were no cameras and no witnesses..
Then educate him in the finer points of integrity and doing what you say you're going to do.
Words don't do shit, the only thing people truly understand is pain.
Police don't do shit except file a report, then drive off with the windows up while calling you a pussy for not kicking the guys ass.
You already know what to do, now man the fuck up and go do it..
View Quote

Yea. I would totally not take this guys advice.

Good luck, i have a surefire 6p missing a tailcap.

Its yours if you want it. Not much but considerate it a thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What you should do is up to do, if it were me i would make sure there were no cameras and no witnesses..
Then educate him in the finer points of integrity and doing what you say you're going to do.
Police don't do shit except file a report, then drive off with the windows up while calling you a pussy for not kicking the guys ass.
View Quote

What if he isn't the one that stole the tools?

It's not much of a justified beating if you have no proof.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]
A 13er from IL?  

I'm pretty sure you're screwed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hate a thief soI leave nothing of value in any of my cars.  That especially goes for mechanics, car washes, and the local inspection place.

I'd call the cops OP.  See what they can shake out for you.  If you paid with a CC, dispute it now.
View Quote
I have sat in the waiting room with a couple computer bags, rifle bag and a tool bag while the dealer mouthbreathers changed my oil.  

You must watch out for yourself.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
File a police report.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I now empty my car before it leaves my sight .
View Quote

And I as a repair shop owner, I thank you for this!

You would be amazed at the shit that is in customers cars, and they seem haphazard about! I have found pistols in the glove box while trying to retrieve a wheel lock, and an ar15 in a trunk while trying to disable an air ride system, and a shotgun while doing the same thing(guy dropped his car off after going hunting with friends)!

They were not thug type of folks, just really not smart on delivering their vehicles to me!
After I have found said items I am overly protective of the vehicles and will not keep the cars outside of my shop and I personally keep the keys.....then I politely ask them to not do that again, as I do not like being in charge of their firearms!

ETA the part I thank you for!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Stupid tax.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#23]
SURPRIZE BUTTSECKS
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Police report and then find out if it can be added to the list of places that are off limits . Consider it a lesson . I now empty my car before it leaves my sight .
View Quote

I havent taken my car to a mechanic in close to 10 years for anything other than recall or warranty work.   One of the benefits of learning how to do almost all repairs is that you avoid getting bent over,  a shit repair done,  or something stolen.

Give the mechanic a Valet key if its a car with a lockable trunk and glovebox.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#25]
i purposely leave things out in the open; small things like a dollar on the floor board when taking it in to a shop.

Just to test their honesty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Demand your stuff back.  If they don't deliver, file a police report.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#27]

If the local TV station has a "Consumer Investigator" or something, call them. Do the "American Hero Serviceman ripped off by Sleazy Repair Shop." thing.

You might come out ahead!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

damnit, that's true..
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#29]
If they really didn't replace parts that you paid to have replaced go here -

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/supp_info/10_thingd_every_consumershouldknowaboutautorepair.html

It will give you the links to file a complaint.

Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection
121 North LaSalle Street Room 800
Chicago, Illinois 60602
www.cityofchicago.org/bacp

ETA: If you don't live in Chicago they should be able to provide you with the contact information for the city you live in.

As for the stuff stolen you are probably shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

and then get charged with assault and battery, good idea.  

the $300 you lost in tools turns into at minimum $3000 lost in lawyer and court fees, to say the least of work / mil-pay lost, and, oh right the very likely chance that you could be convicted and incarcerated.

but you sure showed the guy (who might not of been involved whatsoever...)

retards, retards everywhere, who can't think more than 1 step or 5 minutes ahead.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Upper decker in his toilet
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Upper decker in his toilet
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#33]
That sucks.  Had a amplifier disappear from a truck when it was in the shop for a head gasket once . I did get the labor free on the job so it was pretty much a wash

Would think a bolted down and wired in item would be safe
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Upon his "shit happens" excuse I would've been on the phone with the police/sheriff. Would not have even left his shop or office to make that call.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

life lesson..but don't go back..I hate shitty mechanics..I would file a complaint with the BBC, and the owner....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right, send the Big Black Cock after them. They'll think twice before pulling that shit again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Upon his "shit happens" excuse I would've been on the phone with the police/sheriff. Would not have even left his shop or office to make that call.
View Quote

+1...and an upper decker whilst waiting for the law.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, sorry your shit got stolen and your ride didn't get squared away as you wanted.

Quoted:
View Quote

The only thing I can say about that statement is, if someone came in our shop, in that manner, it would not go as they expected.

We are honest, solid, hard working guys in our shop. Which is why we've never had this issue I'm sure.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Police report for the tools and light. The cops will probably say the parts are a gray area and point you to small claims court.

The cop showing up to ask about the tools and light will get their attention.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#39]
My "solution"  involves a panzerfaust, a COC violation, and a mask.  Good luck on this lousy ripoff, OP.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Thieves are always in the wrong, but you might have to put this in the lessons learned book.  When I drop a vehicle off for service I empty the cabin, the glove box is locked, they get a valet key and I snap quick iPhone pictures of each side of the car.  When I pick it up I won't touch it until I've walked around it to look for new dents/scratches and don't leave until I check the interior for jacked up stuff.  A bit extreme?  Maybe... but the walk around/picture part I learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm in the military and the shop was on the infamous veterans blvd, the road with all the titty bars and car dealerships right off post. As for the comment with the BBB it only works if they are registered with the BBB which they are not...I looked. The day I took the truck there I personally saw the items in the truck because I used them that day. I live in the barracks and I know they are not in my room.

yes i paid the bill...in cash.
View Quote

Lesson learned.  Most people are shit and will take advantage of you.  If it's not bolted down or red hot, someone will steal it.  You have to decide how much of your time this is worth dealing with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Be open and honest. If they actually maliciously took your stuff, it's not sitting in the shop anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Good trustworthy mechanics are hard as hell to find and worth their weight in gold.

Take a look on the property at how they leave vehicles at the end of the day.  Some places leave the cars unlocked and shit bags know which places do and pilfer their lots.  I've encountered my car behind a shop with the key stuck in the door.  They told me it was "ok because they disconnected the battery".
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
leave a google review, and any other site that you can review on. It will destroy their business. As long as you're 100% sure, I would do this. It can easily cut their business in half or less.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#45]
What were the parts?  Was it something obvious or something that is not seen unless you are looking for it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]
It's one of the rules; Don't mess with a man's tools. Maybe you can instruct him and help him understand on the path to becoming a better man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#47]
File a police report with the local PD. Make sure to talk to either base legal/JAG or base PD and see how to help this business get placed on the "Off limits to military" list. That alone may help find your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:58:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a 99 dodge ram 2500 cummins. ran gasoline in it and ruined the injection pump. they said they dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the fuel tank and system, the old fuel tank straps are rusted and still on there and the old lift pump air/fuel filters are still on there. I supplied a banjo bolt and snubber valve for the fuel pressure gauges, they rigged up their own contraption and kept the parts. they charged me for a tank of fuel, it was in the red. they kept a $50 stack clamp instead of using it, on top of that the missing items I was talking about. I have no proof other than my word but that is all. I know they were in there when it was at the shop but it's what you can prove, which I cant.

I'm just going to leave a review where ever I can and maby stop by the police station and see what I could do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a 99 dodge ram 2500 cummins. ran gasoline in it and ruined the injection pump. they said they dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the fuel tank and system, the old fuel tank straps are rusted and still on there and the old lift pump air/fuel filters are still on there. I supplied a banjo bolt and snubber valve for the fuel pressure gauges, they rigged up their own contraption and kept the parts. they charged me for a tank of fuel, it was in the red. they kept a $50 stack clamp instead of using it, on top of that the missing items I was talking about. I have no proof other than my word but that is all. I know they were in there when it was at the shop but it's what you can prove, which I cant.

I'm just going to leave a review where ever I can and maby stop by the police station and see what I could do.
View Quote

Don't stop at the station. Go to the business and call from there while taking said owner why you're doing it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top