Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 4:00:32 PM EST
I bought one of these kits via the kickstarter and it showed up today. Hope to get started brewing this weekend. The kit is fairly small and everything appears to be pretty good quality.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:27:47 PM EST
I've been meaning to make my mead for a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm sure you'll soon be onto 5 gallon batches. Sounds (their mobile site is garbage) like a good little kit.

What type of honey and how many lbs? What strain of yeast? Any additional ingredients (nutrients, energizer, spices, etc.)? I won't bug you with any more questions for now
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:31:37 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rjbergen:
I've been meaning to make my mead for a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm sure you'll soon be onto 5 gallon batches. Sounds (their mobile site is garbage) like a good little kit.

What type of honey and how many lbs? What strain of yeast? Any additional ingredients (nutrients, energizer, spices, etc.)? I won't bug you with any more questions for now
View Quote

I got 1qt of "summer wildflower" honey. They also offer "strawberry" and "fruit tree". The yeast is "red star cote de blancs" wine yeast, with a 4oz bottle of Fermax nutrient. There's also the campden tablet and a bag of c-brite cleanser. I don't know how much 1qt of honey weighs, but it feels like 3 pounds or so? maybe 3.5 pounds? the whole point is to do a gallon to see if you even like the process and result.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:18:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By RyJones:

I got 1qt of "summer wildflower" honey. They also offer "strawberry" and "fruit tree". The yeast is "red star cote de blancs" wine yeast, with a 4oz bottle of Fermax nutrient. There's also the campden tablet and a bag of c-brite cleanser. I don't know how much 1qt of honey weighs, but it feels like 3 pounds or so? maybe 3.5 pounds? the whole point is to do a gallon to see if you even like the process and result.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RyJones:
Originally Posted By rjbergen:

4 pounds of honey per gallon of water is common so that sounds like the right ballpark.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:40:19 AM EST
A gallon of honey can be estimated as 12 lbs, so a quart should be right around 3 lbs.

Anywhere from 2.5 - 4 lbs per gallon is common depending on how sweet you want the final product. 3 lbs should make a semi-sweet to sweet mead. It'll be a nice drink.
Top Top