Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:43 AM EDT
Running the free Mcafee that comes with AOL, every time I turn on my computers for the first time in the morning, the SOB takes over the CPU and Hardrive to the extent that the computer is virtually useless for 5 or 10 minutes.

Any ideas?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine does the same thing. It is just a memory hog.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here.  It acts like a virus.  I dumped it and got Norton.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Schedule a time for it to update when you are online and not working on the computer.

What is happening is that McAfee is updating itself since it was offline during the time it was scheduled to update.

Turn off "On access scan"

This should help, McAfee is a better av program than Norton when it comes to being curent on their definitions. The suite will be coming out soon if it hasnt alredy, it will include AV, spyware  blocker and firewall. I'm currently using the suite minus the firewall and have had no problems at all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Schedule a time for it to update when you are online and not working on the computer.

What is happening is that McAfee is updating itself since it was offline during the time it was scheduled to update.

Turn off "On access scan"

This should help, McAfee is a better av program than Norton when it comes to being curent on their definitions. The suite will be coming out soon if it hasnt alredy, it will include AV, spyware  blocker and firewall. I'm currently using the suite minus the firewall and have had no problems at all.

Turning off on access scan will make the virus scanner only good (and sometimes no good) AFTER you are infected. On access scanning scans the files before they are used or executed.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I suggest dumping McAfee in favor of AVG Free or Avast! Home Edition.  Both provide good AV protection for free with  much less impact on system performance.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
dump norton and get AVG.

Faster updates, less of a CPU hog.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
AVG is a free download. AVG is faster and better than McAfee/Norton. The computer should not be logged onto aol when running virus scan.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been running the MacAfee Sercurity suite for the past year. I hate it. Had to disable everything accept the anti virus. I won't be re-uping the subscription when it runs out
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I got it free for a year with my new computer. Ran it for a few days,deleted it and re-upped with Eset/Nod32. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Get EZ antivirus.  much less of a system hog, uses less resources, works great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I use AVG too.

I'm not sure any of them can handle the new rootkits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top