Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2001 8:14:33 AM EDT
I did a search on barrel break in procedures and came across the following information from Troy and wondered what you all thought about this.  In my search, most people said to use the extensive break in procedure but Troy posted this:

The late Gale McMillen, maker of the famous McMillen rifles and stocks (now called McBros, and run by his sons), claims that the "shoot one, clean, repeat" barrel break-in proceedure was made up by a barrel maker to ensure that his customers would wear their barrels out faster, generating more business.

Gale built several world-record match rifles, and advises that his were never "broken in"; they were fired at the range and cleaned at the end of the shooting session. He reported that he had seen lots of ruined barrels as a result of over-enthusiastic cleaning, but none from "failure to break in".

I have no cause to doubt Mr. McMillen, and my match rifles were not "broken in" and I still get tiny groups from them.

A minor exception: chromed bores should have at least 200 rounds fired in them before cleaning with a brush (patches are OK), which helps polish the chrome lining. That's the only real break-in requirement.

-Troy
View Quote

What of this?  Am I going to throw away my time and my money by doing the break in that people on here say is necessary?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, has this been argued adinfinitum amongst we hipower types.  If you ask four of us you'll get five opinions, at least.
My personal experience is that the proceedure works.  I've done seven barrels now, and on one occasion I could document the groups gradually tightening as the afternoon wore on....and it DOES make for a long afternoon.  I'm coming down on the side of those who do it, but I'll throw no stones at those who don't.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Fire 1 round, swab bore with aqua regia. Repeat for 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you use the brass brush during a "break in", or just a coated patch?

(Again, if it is even really necessary.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply, Waldo.  [:)]

Has there really been any [b]substantial[/b] evidence that "breaking in" a barrel improves accuracy?  Given two identical rifles, one just fired, and the other using the extensive "break in" procedure.  I'd be interested to know how much of an "improvement" all that work accomplished,. . . . .if any!

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top