Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2001 3:59:45 PM EDT
Unfortunatly I haven't had the time to research it properly, from what I do know about S890 is terribly frightening. According to what Alan Korwin said on the local talk radio Tuesday,a vendor must register with the gov't. 30 days prior to a show,confirm 5 days prior to, and check back 5 days after a gun show.
The key word is 'vendor', not gun dealer. This means that if you only sell books, or jewlery,ammo, or surplus items you have to register with the gov't.. This includes private dealers as well as FFL.
If anyone else has heard of this please post so the word will get out to those who don't.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
McCain.  Look for this wacko to jump party lines soon.

CMOS
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The way that he's going if he jumped party lines he'd become a republican
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I listened to the same program. Scary ain't it???

Check out GUNLAWS.COM  for more info!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any possibility of this passing?  If so, can it get past Congress?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard rush talking about the bill.  It would undoubtedly end gunshows.  Bad, bad stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This includes private dealers as well as FFL.
View Quote

You mean PRIVATE SELLERS, don't you? Let's not adopt the enemy's propaganda terms for our own use.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrote both my Senators two weeks ago, sent them snail mail.  Not that it will do any good, One of them, DeWine is one of the co-sponsors.  

My letter:

Senator Mike DeWine
140 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington,  DC  20510-3503

May 24, 2001

Dear Senator DeWine,

I’m very sorry to hear that you are co-sponsoring the anti-gun bill S.890.  This bill is a blatant attempt to stop private sales and transfers of firearms.  And a back door attempt at shutting down gun shows and registering lawful gun owners.  

I respectfully submit that there is no gun show loophole.  I have bought firearms from gun shows many times.  All I have bought since the 94 crime bill, I have had the background check.   95% of the people with display tables at gun shows are licensed dealers and by current law they do the NICS (national instant check system) check before selling the gun.  The other 5% of people with display tables at gun shows are selling military surplus uniforms and gear or things related to the shooting sports, which require no license beyond a vendor’s license.  

I would also respectfully submit that you go to one of the great gun shows we have here in the State of Ohio, if you have not already, and see for yourself what actually goes on before you attach your name to any of these anti-freedom measures.  

Senator, I am a life long Republican and it greatly disturbs me that you would align yourself with 2 of the biggest gun grabbers in the Congress, Joe Lieberman and Charles Schumer.    The same goes for Sen. McCain, disturbing indeed.    

It is becoming apparent that on the gun issue, there seems to be little difference between Republicans and Democrats.   If  Republicans like you and Mr. McCain insist on attacking honest lawful gun owners then I can no longer support Republicans or the party.  I will vote against anyone who favors restricting my God given rights.  If that means voting Libertarian or for a pro-gun Democrat, that is what I will do.  

Gore/Lieberman lost on this issue in November.  Why do Republicans like you and Sen. McCain insist on reviving it?  Enough is enough!  Quit compromising away my freedoms.  Stop the attack on gun owners now!

Respectfully,
XXX
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This includes private dealers as well as FFL.
View Quote

You mean PRIVATE SELLERS, don't you? Let's not adopt the enemy's propaganda terms for our own use.
View Quote

Fuzzbean, thank you I stand corrected.  In my haste to post this I accidentally slid into PC speech.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
well lets hope the other voting az memembers and along with me can kick his ass out next elcetion
then we can have  a big party [beer]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I wrote my main man Sam the day this abortion was introduced:

-------------------------
May 15, 2001

The Honorable Sam Johnson
1030 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Congressman Johnson,

I understand that Senators John McCain and Joseph Lieberman introduced legislation today in the Senate called the “Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001.” I’m writing to you today to urge you in the strongest terms to fight this bill if it should come to the House for a vote.

The simple fact is, as I believe you know, that there is no “gunshow loophole.” This is typical liberal redefinition of terms, just like “high-capacity” magazines and “cop-killer” bullets. Here in the Great State of Texas, a private gun owner has the right to sell a gun to another Texas resident. Some of them choose to do it at gun shows, where they can expect to find a large number of fellow gun owners. There is no difference between me selling an old rifle I don’t use anymore at a gun show and selling it through a newspaper advertisement. Senator McCain knows this, but I believe he is attempting to position himself to the left of our party to ramp up for another run for higher office. The fact that Senator Charles Schumer of New York, a virulent gun hater, supports this legislation tells me that it will be a grievous violation of my rights.

Thank you for your time, Congressman. I have always been able to count on you in the past when the incrementalists in Washington have attempted to erode our rights, and you can look forward to my continued support in the voting booth.

Respectfully,

---------------------

I sent the same basic letter to Phil Gramm and Kay Bailey Hutchison in the Senate, too. Sam has always replied to my letters in the past, and with an actual letter addressing my specific concerns, not a form-hate mail like I used to get from Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

------------------
“The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the “high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power.”
--Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Whattaya know? I got home today and found a letter from Phil Gramm in the mailbox. It's pretty much a form letter just telling me he is against gun control because (duh) only the law-abiding will follow any new law they pass.(...and then only to a point!) He never mentioned this legislation, but I think I can tell how Phil is going to come down on this one.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

-----------------
“Beware the fury of a patient man.”
--John Dryden
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top