Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 8:34:00 AM EDT
Well at least it looks like even the Brits consider this guy to be a nut case.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003531673,00.html

Red Ken's rant at Bush
By GEORGE PASCOE-WATSON

LONDON Mayor Ken Livingstone was branded an idiot last night after an outrageous attack on US President George Bush.

Lefty Ken sparked fury when he dubbed President Bush “the greatest threat to life on this planet”.

And he added to the insult by REFUSING to recognise Mr Bush as the lawful US leader.

Red Ken’s outburst came 24 hours before the President flies in on a state visit.

Tory mayoral candidate Steve Norris said: “This is an idiotic statement that shames the office of the Mayor of London. It is so absurdly over-the-top it defies belief.

“He’s the Mayor for God’s sake and shouts his mouth off like a teenager. He must surely realise the US is London’s best customer for tourism and financial services.

“This kind of irresponsible and self-indulgent politics will do massive harm.”

Mr Livingstone’s attack came in an interview in the Ecologist magazine.

He said: “I actually think Bush is the greatest threat to life on this planet that we’ve most probably ever seen.

“The policies he is initiating will doom us to extinction.” In a jibe at Mr Bush scraping through his 2000 election after a contested count in Florida, he added: “I don’t formally recognise George Bush because he was not officially elected.”

Livingstone then went on to boast he was trying to organise an anti-Bush reception at his swanky London HQ — at council taxpayers’ expense.

The tirade is a huge embarrassment to Prime Minister Tony Blair. He had been on the brink of welcoming Livingstone back to the Labour Party after he won the £110,000-a-year job as an independent.

Anti-Bush protests were also fuelled by Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy.

But Mr Blair insisted Britain should stand firm with America. He said recent bomb attacks in Turkey and Saudi Arabia showed the need for a united war on terror.

And he defended President Bush, stressing he would NEVER go to war without just cause.

He broke off a speech in Birmingham to say: “Now is not the time to waver — now is the time to see it through. I hope people understand nobody takes a decision to go to war lightly.”

Mr Bush and wife Laura will be guests of the Queen and Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace. A formal banquet will be held there tomorrow night.

The President will have talks with Mr Blair in Downing Street on Thursday morning before visiting the PM’s Sedgefield constituency on Friday.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The more they hate him, the happier I am that I voted for him....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Its Official the Brits have lost their F***ing minds.

If W. is the biggest threat then who helps the planet the most in his opinion? Kim Jung whatever the hell his name is of North Korea?

Its like these people just say and believe in the opposite of everything that is right in this world.

I dont get it!!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The more they hate him, the happier I am that I voted for him....

yup, means he's doing something right
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
They will hate me again in 2004.....I will vote for Bush again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't say that I have agreed with every decision that President Bush has made, but he manages to piss off all of the right people, so that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Its Official the Brits have lost their F***ing minds.

NO… you are getting bad information, what the liberal media want you to think. Rule number one is do not believe what you see in the media.

You will see a lot of protest to the Presidents visit but these do people do not represent main stream British opinion.

“The Guardian” a left leaning paper in England just released the story and poll below that shows just the opposite.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1087545,00.html

Protests begin but majority backs Bush visit as support for war surges

Click for full poll results:
image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Politics/documents/2003/11/17/1711icm.pdf

Alan Travis and David Gow
Tuesday November 18, 2003
The Guardian

A majority of Labour voters welcome President George Bush's state visit to Britain which starts today, according to November's Guardian/ICM opinion poll.
The survey shows that public opinion in Britain is overwhelmingly pro-American with 62% of voters believing that the US is "generally speaking a force for good, not evil, in the world". It explodes the conventional political wisdom at
Westminster that Mr Bush's visit will prove damaging to Tony Blair. Only 15% of British voters agree with the idea that America is the "evil empire" in the world.
Mr Blair insisted last night that he had made the right decision in inviting Mr Bush to Britain as an unprecedented security operation got under way to prepare for his arrival today. More than 14,000 police officers at a cost of £5m will be on duty during the four-day visit, with tens of thousands of anti-war protesters expected to take to the streets.

The ICM poll also uncovers a surge in pro-war sentiment in the past two months as suicide bombers have stepped up their attacks on western targets and troops in Iraq. Opposition to the war has slumped by 12 points since September to only 41% of all voters. At the same time those who believe the war was justified has jumped 9 points to 47% of voters.

This swing in the mood of British voters is echoed in the poll's finding that two-thirds of voters believe British and American troops should not pull out of Iraq now but instead stay until the situation is "more stable".

It also may explain the beginnings of a recovery in Tony Blair's personal ratings in this month's Guardian poll. He still remains an unpopular prime minister with 52% unhappy with the job he is doing, compared with 40% who say they are satisfied with his performance. But the prime minister's net popularity rating of minus 12 points is a significant improvement over last month's net rating of minus 18 points.

The detailed results of the poll show that more people - 43% - say they welcome George Bush's arrival in Britain than the 36% who say they would prefer he did not come.

Labour voters are more enthusiastic about the visit than Tory voters. But it is only Liberal Democrats who are marginally more unhappy about his arrival, with 43% against and 39% willing to welcome him. A majority of "twentysomethings" welcome Mr Bush. Hostility is strongest amongst the over-65s. There is a clear gender gap in attitudes with a majority of men - 51% - welcoming the president's arrival, compared with only 35% of women.

Pro-Americanism, as might be expected, is strongest among Tory voters with 71% saying the US is a force for good. But it is nearly matched by the 66% of Labour voters who say the US is a force for good. Anti-Americanism is strongest among Liberal Democrat voters but is still only shared by 24% of them and the majority see the US as the "good guys".

Mr Blair told the CBI national conference in Birmingham yesterday of his support for the war on terrorism, saying: "Now is not the time to waver but see it through."
In unscripted remarks, he said the weekend terrorist bombings in Turkey, the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and continuing bombings in Iraq, meant Britain should "stand firm with the United States of America in defeating terrorism wherever it is and delivering us safely from what I genuinely believe is the security threat of the 21st century".

But Mr Blair made plain he completely backed the EU's stance against the US over illegal tariffs on steel imports, insisting that Washington must now respond to the World Trade Organisation ruling: "There will be from time to time these disagreements on issues to do with trade and we must stick very firmly to our position."

The prime minister also reaffirmed his vision of Britain as a bridge between the US and Europe.

"I firmly believe we have two big foreign policy pillars, the US alliance and our position in the EU. There's absolutely no reason to yield up either and we will not," he said to loud applause.

· ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,002 adults aged 18 and over by telephone between November 14-16, 2003. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys probably dont know "Red" Ken Livingtone's background.  He is, basically, a communist and supporter of the IRA.  

Another British dignitary leading the protests against Bush is George Galloway.  A man who described the day the Soviet Union collapsed as "The saddest day of my life".  A man who had stood up for and argued tirelessly to lift sanctions on Saddam Hussein throughout the 1990's, after Saddam was overthrown piles of documents were found that George Galloway had been on Saddam's payroll since Kuwait was liberated.  He was thrown out of the Labour Party for his treasonous behavior.

The main organizers of the protest, Stop the War is like the British equivalent of International ANSWER, i.e., a bunch of career communists who loathe the United States, capitalism, liberalism, and oppose us no matter what we do.

These are truly awful people, scum de la scum, and now they're joining up with the Islamic extremists because they have a common enemy: The United States and George Bush.  I dont know, it's pretty easy for me to pick sides here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Tit for tat...

I'm sure that if someone asked, the Mayor of Berkeley, CA would say the same or similar about Tony Blair.

I also really love it when foreigners comment on our election process, being the experts that they are, of course!

-Gator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top