Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
March 31, 2006 -- Mayor Bloomberg likened the country's illegal gun crisis to "a major public health problem" during a speech last night marking the 25th anniversary of the assassination attempt on Ronald Regan.
At an annual dinner for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Manhattan, Bloomberg continued his crusade against illegal guns.

"This is a major public health problem," he said. "What's going on here is unconscionable."

Bloomberg is known for his public-health initiatives - most notably the passing of a citywide smoking ban, which coincidentally became law exactly three years ago. His alma mater, Johns Hopkins University, even named its School of Public Health after the mayor.

"You have to have some courage to take on entrenched interests," said Bloomberg, as Police Commissioner Ray Kelly looked on.

"This is a fight that is winnable. This is a fight that is worth taking on. We have to use every means at our disposal," he said.

Brady Center President Michael Barnes, who is a former Maryland congressman, echoed that sentiment:

"If this were a disease, we'd be spending billions of dollars to find a cure."

Barnes praised Bloomberg for "speaking out more vocally, more forcefully than any other public official in America.

"All across the country, mayors see what's going on. They're tired of going to funerals for police officers who are being shot by guns that are being illegally trafficked in."

Bloomberg said he has supported the Brady Center even before he became mayor.

"Now as mayor, I have an obligation, it seems to me - I think all of us do - to stop the flow of illegal guns into those cities where guns are used by criminals," he said.

Bloomberg was in Washington earlier this week to testify against a law that would prohibit the disclosure of any records from a national gun-trace database in civil lawsuits.

"This is not a partisan issue," the mayor said last night. "This is not an issue that has to do with the constitution and the right to bear arms.

"Plain and simple, what we are talking about here are guns that are in our cities - and I don't know that the framers of the constitution ever had this in mind when they talked about the right to bear arms."

Bloomberg told the crowd about his experience testifying - which he did at the request of congressional Democrats - before the panel.

"There were Congress people who came in, sat down, made their statement, asked their question and left while I was trying to answer it," he said. "But they had their film clip for back home."

On March 30, 1981, both Reagan and his then-press secretary, Jim Brady, were shot by John Hinckley Jr., who is still being held in a Washington D.C. hospital.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:54:51 PM EDT

Mayor Bloomberg of NYC hates guns

No shit, genius.

Weren't you also the guy who posted that you had the feeling the California DOJ is anti-gun?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 4:57:02 PM EDT by CRC]
'I've been to too many police officers' funerals'

Gun bill 'coddles' crooks, roars furious Bloomy

BY MICHAEL SAUL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Mayor Bloomberg ripped the proposed gun bill during his appearance before House subcommittee yesterday on Capitol Hill.

WASHINGTON - Mayor Bloomberg went nuclear on Congress yesterday - unleashing an unexpected tirade against a proposed gun bill that he lambasted as a "God-awful piece of legislation."
It was the finishing touch of an extraordinarily passionate speech by Bloomberg, who went so far as to warn that more cops and innocents would die until gun control laws are toughened up.

"I have been to too many police officers' funerals to believe that this bill actually has a prayer's chance in hell," the mayor testified before the House subcommittee on crime, terrorism and homeland security.

"But if if does pass, the next time an officer is attacked by an illegal gun - and I say 'next time' because until Congress gets serious about illegal guns, more police officers and many more citizens will be murdered - there can be no denying that those who vote for this bill will bear some of the responsibility," he said.

The bill's only beneficiary, he said, is the "bad guys."

Bloomberg testified that the bill, the Firearms Corrections and Improvements Act, "coddles criminals and endangers police officers and citizens."

Critics of the bill say it would weaken federal gun laws because it blocks the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives from offering public crime gun trace data, eliminates the current requirement that gun dealers report multiple handgun sales to law enforcement officials, limits the ability of the ATF to search dealer sales records in criminal probes and creates a loophole in the federal ban on the importation of nonsporting firearms.

Bloomberg, a life-long Democrat who became a Republican to run for mayor, found himself pitted against members of his own party - even as he drew high praise from Democrats.

Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Fla.) said he has a "big, philosophical difference of opinion" with Bloomberg.

Feeney said he would be willing to change the bill to clarify that law enforcement officers can share information with one another. But he said he's concerned that cities, such as New York, want to misuse the federal gun data in an effort to "affect national policy" through civil litigation.

On the other side of the aisle, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) lauded Bloomberg for denouncing a bill advanced by members of his own party. "I like people of courage," she said.

Originally published on March 29, 2006

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:58:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:59:09 PM EDT
WASHINGTON, March 28 —Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg bluntly told a Congressional panel on Tuesday that a "god-awful piece of legislation" before the House of Representatives would cripple the city's ability to combat gun trafficking and "result in the shooting deaths of innocent people."

Skip to next paragraph

Our blog takes a look at the race for mayor in New Jersey's largest city, and the colorful characters and moments that drive the campaign.
• Video: Newark Primer

The mayor's testimony, before members of the House Judiciary Committee, was unusual not only for its vivid language, but also because Mr. Bloomberg, a Republican, was testifying at the request of the Democratic minority on the panel. The mayor has made taking on the gun industry a central theme of his second term, and has repeatedly used his bully pulpit to draw national attention to the issue.

The bill in question would prohibit disclosure of any records from a national gun-trace database in civil lawsuits and allow the records to be released only "in a bona fide criminal investigation or prosecution." The data, maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, includes the sales history of guns that law enforcement agencies want to trace. Often, those guns were used in crimes.

In 2000, under Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, the city sued several gun manufacturers and distributors, arguing that the industry's sales and marketing practices allow guns to pass too easily into the hands of criminals and create a public nuisance. The city's suit, which is continuing, is seen by proponents of gun restrictions as offering a potential legal breakthrough in establishing liability against gun makers whose products are used in crimes.

As a result of the lawsuit, the city has received gun-trace data from 1998 to 2003, but it has been unable to get more recent records because of four amendments that have been inserted into yearly appropriations bills since 2003. The bill, introduced on March 16 by Representative Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican, would essentially make the amendments permanent.

Mr. Bloomberg told the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security that illegal guns were used in 300 of the 540 homicides in the city last year, and that 82 percent of the guns used in crimes in the city were bought outside the state. He also cited a 2000 report showing that 57.4 percent of firearms traced by law enforcement to gun dealers in 1998 were sold by 1.2 percent of licensed retailers and pawnbrokers.

In his State of the City address in January, Mr. Bloomberg vowed to file new lawsuits, this time to go after "irresponsible dealers," not just manufacturers.

Yesterday, he said the bill before the House "would make it far more difficult to bring civil suits against rogue gun dealers, and far more difficult to bring administrative actions to revoke their licenses."

He also invoked the failure of federal agencies to prevent the 9/11 attacks. "Instead of demanding that our law enforcement agencies share information, Congress is considering making it a crime," he said.

The mayor concluded by saying, "I have been to too many police officers' funerals to believe this bill actually has a prayer's chance in hell." But he added that if it did pass, "those who vote for this bill will bear some of the responsibility" whenever an illegal gun is used in an attack on an officer.

Mr. Bloomberg presented letters of support from the mayors of Boston, Chicago, Seattle and Philadelphia, as well as from Joseph J. Vince Jr., a former chief of crime-gun analysis at the firearms bureau. "I'm not a particularly partisan person," the mayor said. But the response to his comments fell along partisan lines.

Representative Tom Feeney, a Florida Republican, told him that the firearms bureau already had "a very rigid zero-tolerance policy" toward dealers who violate the terms of their licenses, a view the city disputes.

The intent of the gun-trace system "is not to allow civil litigation nor to allow cities to track down unlicensed gun dealers elsewhere, it was to solve crime," the representative said, adding, "We obviously have a big philosophical difference of opinion."

Mr. Feeney said the "anti-gun lobby" was trying to achieve in the courts what it could not achieve through the legislative process. "Our concern is that individual jurisdictions will try to effect national policy by suing licensed gun dealers that have not committed a crime that the A.T.F. finds them responsible for, but that some judge, in some local jurisdiction, does."

Three House Democrats from urban districts — Anthony D. Weiner of Queens and Brooklyn, Sheila Jackson Lee of Houston and Maxine Waters of Los Angeles — spoke in support of the mayor.

Richard E. Gardiner, a former lawyer for the National Rifle Association who supports the bill, testified that the mayor's logic was flawed because "the vast majority of guns that are traced are not crime guns."

More Articles in New York Region >
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:00:44 PM EDT
Please don't let him travel below the Mason-Dixon line; we don't need his liberal philosophies mucking up our way of life...

Yeah, I also have been to too many officer's funerals, but that don't change my views on the 2nd Amendment. The problem ain't the crooks getting their hands on the guns, it's the crooks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Bloomberg is nice and safe standing behind his heavily armed bodyguards. But we peons, we aren't professional, or important, enough to have our own defense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 5:26:39 PM EDT by Adam_White]
I have to give him credit for continuously prefacing the word "guns" with "illegal." I agree, illegal guns ARE a huge problem.

Of course, you don't solve that problem by simply making more guns illegal - as that makes no sense at all.

Our nation has a HUGE illegal gun crisis. Any thug can get hold of an illegal gun in no time flat. Meanwhile, the only thing our politicians do about it is limit our access to LEGAL firearms!

If you applied the anti-gunners strategy to the illegal drug crisis, we would be shutting down pharmacies and creating prescription "waiting periods" instead of going after meth labs.

What

The

Fu­ck?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thirsty:
Meanwhile, Bloomberg is nice and safe standing behind his heavily armed bodyguards. But we peons, we aren't professional, or important, enough to have our own defense.

That pretty well nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 5:28:58 PM EDT by chrome1]
The worst thing about Bloomberg , is that he's a bored
multi billionaire with a pet cause and political aspirations .

IMO he is more dangerous to the 2nd amendment then
all the rest of the gun grabbers combined . He can’t be
bought off with campaign contributions and backdoor
funding . Or be swayed by lucrative contracts after his
term is up .

The best hope is that he looses interest in gun control , like
He has with his past pursuits
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:31:30 PM EDT
So, Bloomberg is essentially saying that we could stop illegal immigration...just as I thought, it just takes some huevos and some will.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:39:31 PM EDT
Have the libs ever tried to define "sporting weapon"? The half that don't mind banning sporting weapons seem to leave the definition open to interpretation in order to change it later when the next step of gun control comes around.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 5:50:50 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
"I don't know why people carry guns. Guns kill people."
~ Michael Bloomberg,
July 23, 2003, NYC Mayor referring specifically to retired police officer and City Councilman James Davis who was killed at City Hall. Davis had a permit and was carrying a concealed firearm but was killed at City Hall before he could defend himself with it. Bloomberg saw no need for anyone, even a retired LEO who was just gunned down at City Hall, to carry a firearm for self-defense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:51:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Adam_White:
I have to give him credit for continuously prefacing the word "guns" with "illegal." I agree, illegal guns ARE a huge problem.

Unless the gun is illegally modified how exactly is the GUN illegal? The ownership of the gun might be illegal, but what's illegal about the guns themselves?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:54:32 PM EDT
That cocksucking commie pinko is a Republican

Whiny little fucker will NEVER make it in mainstream American politics...

At least I hope

Sorry... just had to let everyone know how I really feel about shit for brains Bloomberg...

Feel much better now....

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:54:38 PM EDT
Just wait for a few years down the road when (God forbid), this loser wins a Republican primary somewhere and all of the locksteppers will be on here telling us all how we have to vote for Bloomberg to keep the Democrats out of power.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:58:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
'I've been to too many police officers' funerals'

Gun bill 'coddles' crooks, roars furious Bloomy

BY MICHAEL SAUL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Mayor Bloomberg ripped the proposed gun bill during his appearance before House subcommittee yesterday on Capitol Hill.

WASHINGTON - Mayor Bloomberg went nuclear on Congress yesterday - unleashing an unexpected tirade against a proposed gun bill that he lambasted as a "God-awful piece of legislation."
It was the finishing touch of an extraordinarily passionate speech by Bloomberg, who went so far as to warn that more cops and innocents would die until gun control laws are toughened up.

"I have been to too many police officers' funerals to believe that this bill actually has a prayer's chance in hell," the mayor testified before the House subcommittee on crime, terrorism and homeland security.

"But if if does pass, the next time an officer is attacked by an illegal gun - and I say 'next time' because until Congress gets serious about illegal guns, more police officers and many more citizens will be murdered - there can be no denying that those who vote for this bill will bear some of the responsibility," he said.

The bill's only beneficiary, he said, is the "bad guys."

Bloomberg testified that the bill, the Firearms Corrections and Improvements Act, "coddles criminals and endangers police officers and citizens."

Critics of the bill say it would weaken federal gun laws because it blocks the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives from offering public crime gun trace data, eliminates the current requirement that gun dealers report multiple handgun sales to law enforcement officials, limits the ability of the ATF to search dealer sales records in criminal probes and creates a loophole in the federal ban on the importation of nonsporting firearms.

Bloomberg, a life-long Democrat who became a Republican to run for mayor, found himself pitted against members of his own party - even as he drew high praise from Democrats.

Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Fla.) said he has a "big, philosophical difference of opinion" with Bloomberg.

Feeney said he would be willing to change the bill to clarify that law enforcement officers can share information with one another. But he said he's concerned that cities, such as New York, want to misuse the federal gun data in an effort to "affect national policy" through civil litigation.

On the other side of the aisle, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) lauded Bloomberg for denouncing a bill advanced by members of his own party. "I like people of courage," she said.

Originally published on March 29, 2006

I wonder if that new-york moron realizes that the guns he calls 'illegal' are perfectly legal in the rest of the country?

He's not referring to straw-buyer dealers, you see, he's referring to all that shit that's illegal in NYC without some absurd license, but legal everywhere else...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:01:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Unless the gun is illegally modified how exactly is the GUN illegal? The ownership of the gun might be illegal, but what's illegal about the guns themselves?

Either illegally modified and / or owned. You know, some current gun law broken in order for the gun to be where it is today, from a late model Ak47 to the Jennings pistol bought on the street.

NYC seems to have a problem with guns coming from outside of the city. Do they admit that their earlier attacks on the city's dealers and rightful owners were a waste of time and ill-conceived? No, they look for more boogey men.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT by pv74]

Originally Posted By libertyforall:
Just wait for a few years down the road when (God forbid), this loser wins a Republican primary somewhere and all of the locksteppers will be on here telling us all how we have to vote for Bloomberg to keep the Democrats out of power.

F$%K that!

I WILL vote Libertarian if it comes to that...

The Republican party needs to get its shit together.. and fast...these NY RINOS will do nothing but alienate the base.

The only RINO I would CONSIDER voting for is Mccain...(I hope it never comes to that, but I am afraid it will ).
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:04:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT

"Now as mayor, I have an obligation, it seems to me - I think all of us do - to stop the flow of illegal guns into those cities where guns are used by criminals," he said.

Then close the Border, execute the criminals, and stop complaining!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
Bloomberg was a lifelong Democrat who switched to being a Republican for the mayoral election. He is no more Republican than Chuckie.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:06:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:09:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

This sounds like Feinstein when she discovered building a tunnel under the border was not a crime (as if trespassing, crossing the border etc was not a crime) . So she introduces a bill to make it a crime, a felony in fact, but of course not a felony to use it to cross the border. They really think words will affect criminals and they're always wrong.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:16:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:

Originally Posted By roboman:

Mayor Bloomberg of NYC hates guns

No shit, genius.

Weren't you also the guy who posted that you had the feeling the California DOJ is anti-gun?

Very good memory!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436225

Geez that was over a month and a half ago, almost two.

Feels like last week
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:20:35 PM EDT
Bloomberg=RINO Asshat
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:24:10 PM EDT
I don't care for him that much either.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
Typical New Yawker, thinks the world revolves around his city. He forgets there is NYC , then there is the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:47:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smokycity:
Typical New Yawker, thinks the world revolves around his city. He forgets there is NYC , then there is the rest of the country Universe.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:49:50 PM EDT
i would just like to point out that (as read in the daily news the other day) bloomberg used to be a democrat and became a republician to get voted into office. what ever party he chooses he sucks; he's a business man trying to be a politician and the two don't mix.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 8:58:56 PM EDT by NYPatriot]

At an annual dinner for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Manhattan, Bloomberg continued his crusade against illegal guns.

EXCELLENT... the facade has been dropped and what (very) little credibility this douche bag had on the issue has been lost by his open association with the Brady Bunch.

Thanks for discrediting yourself Mike... it's now clear to the world that your real agenda is complete civilian disarmament, not "common sense" gun legislation motivated by your desire to protect those brave boys in blue!

Mike Bloomberg (R)

Top Top