Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2002 5:49:44 AM EDT
Stupid Highland Park Liberials!  Now I got to go figure out how to buy a 50!
c-rock

Citing new fears of domestic terrorism, state Rep. Karen May (D-Highland Park) said Monday she wants to restrict the sale in Illinois of the .50-caliber military sniper rifle, which at least one group has identified as a terrorist weapon.

"This is a weapon of war," May said of the rifle, which fires bullets capable of piercing armor-plated targets 2 miles away.

The world changed on Sept. 11, and we need to reflect that in our gun-control laws," said May, adding that she will introduce legislation in the spring that would limit the rifle's sale to law-enforcement and military personnel.

"These deadly rifles are a threat to our safety and security because they end up in the hands of domestic and international terrorists, drug traffickers and criminals."

[url]http://chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0201220170jan22.story?coll=chi%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The world changed on Sept. 11, and we need to reflect that in our gun-control laws," said May, adding that she will introduce legislation in the spring that would limit the rifle's sale to law-enforcement and military personnel.
View Quote

Why do law enforcement agencies need a .50BMG when civilians shouldn't have them?  I guess they'd be a little more effective than .30-06 for firing into large crowds of people protesting bad laws. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
c-rock:  ISRA web page:  Goto the "press page", click on "50 caliber red herring".

Yes, here in Illinois we sure have some smart pollicritters "lets jump on the terrorist bandwagon".  

Also, I believe armor pierceing ammo is illegal in Illinois, along with incendary ammo and possibly tracers.

And, is the effective range of a .50 BMG actually 2 miles?

[url]http://www.isra.org[/url]

[url]http://www.isra.org/presspage.htm[/url]

Blackie

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's May's press release verbatim (if the link still works):

[url]http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/temp/0109-129.html[/url]

Pertinent fear-inducing quotations:

[red]The purchase of 25 Barrett .50 caliber sniper rifles has been traced to Osama bin Laden. [/red]  Traced by the Violence Policy Center who neglected to point out that these rifles were purchased by the U.S. government and shipped to our friends the mujahadeen who were kicking the Soviets out of Afghanistan at the time.

[red]Conversion kits are available to transform assault rifles such as AK 47's into a .50 caliber sniper rifle. The .50 Caliber Shooters Association estimates there may be as many as 20,000 of these rifles in civilian hands.[/red]  ROFLMAO!  But perhaps I shouldn't.  First, "conversion kits" for AK-47's?  Who in their right mind....never mind.  But the second sentence - THAT's the jewell!  It implies to the unwary that there are 20,000 CONVERTED ASSAULT RIFLES out there!  Man, that's a masterpiece of wording if I do say so myself.  

Read the whole thing - they covered it all: 18 year olds can buy them (if they have $2k or so), the "gunshow loophole", the Brady Background check, the horrendous destructiveness, "taking down" airplanes (presumably from 10,000 feet or two miles), the terrorism link (suitably far enough away from the gun show cite so as not to make it too clear that Osama bought them himself from an evil unlicensed dealer at one), the obligatory mention of "assault rifles", finally Internet sales, and then "homeland security".  

What a press release!  Man, Orwell was right about everything but the date.  Newspeak rules!  Doublethink abounds!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I read this the other day.  Was thinking about that two mile range myself.  I'd like to see that shot.  Anybody make a headshot at 2 miles?  We could practice on cabbages.  The AK coverversion was pretty classic too.  If I remember right though, they interviewed some guy who said there had NEVER been a case of one of these being used in the commission of a crime and I thought they pointed out that Osama had bought his from the US.  Might have been a different article though.  Think the one I read was from around Quad cities.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I remember right though, they interviewed some guy who said there had NEVER been a case of one of these being used in the commission of a crime...
View Quote

Not true.  If you get into an argument with an anti, don't get trapped by that.  There have been several criminal cases that [i]involved[/i] .50's, and possibly (possibly) two that involved a .50 being fired.  One was an armored car robbery in (I believe) Florida.  However, if a .50 HAD been used, I think it would be in all of the anti-gun literature, not just mentioned by the VPC.  The second was a murder in Colorado.  The killer used an SKS, but had a single-shot .50 with him.  Some reported that he fired it, some did not.  He didn't hit anybody with it, anyway.  

The third was, depending on who you believe was actually committing a crime, the Branch Davidians at Waco.  One member on trial admitted having a .50, but not firing it.  FBI personnel reported seeing someone with a .50 "observing" them.  Technically that's a "use".  ATF agents on the scene reported that they were "fired upon" with .50's, but I have seen no corroborating evidence.  I doubt they could tell the difference between a .50 and a .338 if they were on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the info on "armor piercing bullets"

[url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf[/url]

[b]bottom of page 10[/b]

(720 ILCS 5/24-2.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-2.1)
Sec. 24-2.1. Unlawful Use of Metal Piercing Bullets.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of metal piercing bullets when he knowingly manufactures,
sells, purchases, possesses, or carries any metal piercing bullet. For the purposes of this Section, “metal
piercing bullet” means polytetrafluoroethylene-coated bullets; jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead
alloy cores; and ammunition of which the bullet itself is wholly composed of a metal or metal alloy other than
lead. The definition contained herein shall not be construed to include shotgun shells.
(b) Exemptions. This Section does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(1) Peace officers.

[i]- - -and other exemptions listed - [/i]
Blackie
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

...jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead
alloy cores;
View Quote
So SS109 is officially an "armor piercing round" now?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

alloy cores;
View Quote
View Quote

Has been for years in Illinois.  Felony to possess.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
"Converting" AK47s to .50cal sniper rifles?

(Shaking of the head with the laughter of disbelief)

Oooooh Kay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

alloy cores;
View Quote
View Quote

Has been for years in Illinois.  Felony to possess.
View Quote

I don't believe that this is true.  M855 is not classified as AP, it is FMJ.

Anyone from Illinois who knows better can correct.  I am from Illinois, and have never heard of SS-109 being illegal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure about Illinois law, but BATF excludes SS109 from the definition of AP ammo:

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm[/url]

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING CARTRIDGES HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE DEFINITION OF ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION:

5.56MM (.223) SS109 and M855 Ammunition, Identified by a green coating on the projectile tip.

U.S. .30-06 M2 AP, Identified by a black coating on the projectile tip.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top