Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2001 8:31:22 PM EDT
I heard that there is a Federal law that basically says that some one can't have more than 2000 rounds of any one type of ammo. Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Cripe! I don't think I have less than 2000 rounds of any kind of ammo. Maybe the .38s.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit, I've shot 2,000 rounds in one day at the range. I've had 5,000+ at one time. There is no federal limit on the number of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You can try calling your local fire department.  Ask for someone with knowledge of hazardous materials storage and ask about storage limits and hazmat signage requirements for small arms ammunition under the "Explosives C" catagory in a residential zone.  Don't call any other city departments.  

Firemen like to know what's in the garage when they go in to put out the fire around the cabinet with the "Ammo Locker" sign on it. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
there are state and local laws regarding storage of certian amounts of Bulk powder dont know about ammo thu.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
lol i guess that makes me a violator
ive got as close as i can tell about 30k total

In various calibers for shotgun, rifle and pistol. To the best of my knowledge there is no federal limit. But local ordinances are a completely different story
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Like Troy said its strictly a local thing.
I called the local fire dept to find out what was ok in my area and found out there were no limitations on loaded ammo or smokeless powder for reloading ammo.
What they did have a limit on was black powder (1-lb) and loose primers (1,000).

I can't think of a time since I started reloading that I had less than 5,000 primers on hand. Uh-Uh[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top