Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 4:29:31 PM EDT
During the 1960's did Mattel Toys make the stock for the M-16? I keep hearing stories of this. Can anyone confirm this story?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

In Chapter 18, Page 283, the book The Black Rifle says the following:

"Nine firms made the $1000 bid deposit to receive the initial TDP and two M16A1 rifles.  Those firms making bid deposits are as follows:

1) Aeronutronics Division of Philco-Ford
2) FTS Corporation
3) General Electric, Springfield Armory
4) General Motors, Hydramatic Division
5) Harrington & Richardson, Inc
6) Physical Sciences Corporation, subsidiary of Friden
7) Stetson Ross Mfg
8) Olin-Mathieson, Winchester Division
9) ZD Products

No mention of Mattel anywhere.

If you have this rifle, you need this book.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]

They made this.
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/toym16.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
OMG, not again!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys I dunno who made what, or what the book says (I really don't know that much about AR15s and that's why I'm here and usually keep my mouth shut!) but the [I]only[/I] M16 I ever shot was stamped Mattel. (It wasn't a toy either).
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
We just beat this dumbass subject to death around a month ago. Govtthug contacted Mattel via telephone and I contacted them via snail mail so as to have written proof for all of those dingbats who believe this nonsensical crap. Here is what we received in reply: not no, but [b][i]HELL NO!!!!![/i][/b] Do a search. The letter was posted with the Mattel letterhead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Further, why is it that those bringing this up and affirming this absolutely ludicrous cock 'n bull story are all newly registered? Do I smell troll?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to everyone who answered the question. Yes I'm new to this forum. Sorry I did not read past posts about Mattel. Have a nice weekend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My guess is that someone, at some point, either took some toy m16 stocks and put them on real m16s, or made a fake "mattel" stamp and went crazy on a batch of the things, perhaps in the armory before they were issued. I can *so* see someone doing that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The confusion stems from the fact that they only made a few and never went into regular production.  Here's a picture of the first one -
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~kmeans/mattel.jpg[/img]

Hope that clears things up!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
whered you get that pic??? Is that your firearm??? That may infact clear things up a bunch!!! I hope it does because im sick of trying to find out by reading all the did mattel make machineguns threads!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Come on, man. This shit ain't never gonna end when these derelicts see that photograph.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, a little more work with Photoshop and you might fool somebody with that picture. You should have spent twice the amount of time you did with that forged pic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Further, why is it that those bringing this up and affirming this absolutely ludicrous cock 'n bull story are all newly registered? Do I smell troll?
View Quote

Easy tiger!  I know it is an old subject to us that have been around, but give the guy a break for being new.

Besides, if you recall the old thread a month or two ago, I remember at least two individuals who reported using a Mattel M16 in the service.  I still don't believe it, but who knows.  

Besides, do you think there is anyone working at Mattel today, that was working there in the 60's, especially not some goon answering the phone at customer service.  If it were true, I doubt they would have a Mattel M16 hanging up in the lobby as part of their 'proud' history.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
It wasn't some "goon" answering the telephone at customer service. When GovtThug contacted them, a representative from Mattel called HIM and they discussed this at length about it being an urban legend originating from the Vietnam era. As for the morons who believed that they "actually saw" a Mattel M-16, we attributed that to faulty memories and a "MAT'L" stamp, which means material if you're unclear on that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I also did not know this was a 'beaten to death' thread here, so I apologise. It came up once months ago I think on TFL or AssaultWeb, (where my same name postings aren't FNG) but hasn't come up yet on many others.

I appreciate the photo Steel_Rat. One thing I [B]AM[/B] sick of, is a bunch of 16 year olds telling me I'm full of it, and that I never saw or fired the gun. It was real, I don't know if it was some joke that got out or was one of the rare few, but I will tell you this- flipping that lever away and squeezing off a burst felt as good as playing with any toys I ever owned as a kid! (Wonder where she is now.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Lay off the grass and get with the program.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They made this.
View Quote

Wow. Could you imagine the folks at the Brady Whatever-the-hell-they-call-themselves-this-week Bunch would say if this advertisement was published today? Hee-hee!

I used to have one of those. Just about laughed my ass of when John Wayne broke one against a tree in "The Green Berets".

- USNA 91
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Here it is in a nutshell...
Before the M-16 came out everybody was using the m1 carbines, M-14, M1 garand, ect...
THEN out came the new ALL BLACK plastic furnature thin barreled M-16.  NOBODY wanted it becasue it looked like a toy.
It quickly got the nickname the Mattel M-16.  The barrels were so thin that when holding the sling too tight while shooting, it would bend the barrel enough to make the gun worthless for accuracy...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They made this.
View Quote

This DID exist !  

I had either this particular toy, or something real similar.  It had a cocking lever on the side that you locked back so it would make the shooting noise when you pulled the trigger.

I was the MAN (Kid?) for one day of "Guns" in the neighborhood, until the damn thing broke on me.

Then it was back to "BANG BANG BANG, you're DEAD !" like everyone else.

Chris

NOTE:  This is just a joke off of the TOY in the picture.  

I'm not saying that an [b]actual[/b] Mattel M-16 existed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Come on, man. This shit ain't never gonna end when these derelicts see that photograph.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top