User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 7:45:41 PM EDT
Would it be worth the cost to use match ammo
in a AR with a 16" barrel?
Would it be worth it to use something outher
than 55 grain bullets?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
UUHH for what? i mean what's your motive? what is your twist? gonna shoot paper or other?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I recall a posting awhile back in which someone was shooting 1/3 to 1/2" groups with an AR10T Carbine using three different handloads.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
UUHH for what? i mean what's your motive? what is your twist? gonna shoot paper or other?
View Quote

Will be shooting 3gun/tactical rifle targets
out to 200yds.. Paper of course and yotes.
Twist unknown! I just looked on the barrel and there are no markings. The rifle is an
ArmaLite M15A4c.

Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
hangfire, it is helpfull to know the twist rate of yor rfle. fortunatly, it is not too hard to check. Take your cleaning rod make a line along the length make a mark in line at the muzzle and run the rod in until it makes one revolution mark that point on the rod and measure the length--there you have it. If the rifle is in decent shape and the rate of twist is 1in 8 or more (probably 1in9)than match 55 is hard to beat at the ranges you mentioned. for hunting you may want to go with a more frangible bullet for knock down. in three gun keep in mind the smaller the bullet the less the recoil, the less sight picture disturbance and the faster you reaquire your target. hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Peregrine,
Thankyou.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
52gr. Match works very well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
depens, for what? mine loves federal 69 gold medal match & everything else except Q3131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top