Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/27/2002 7:50:01 AM EST
Thinking of moving to MA for a job. Did some research on the gun laws there and I am confused! Are they really as bad as they seem? I don't even know if I can bring all of my guns along. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:55:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/27/2002 7:56:47 AM EST by raf]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:00:36 AM EST
You want to avoid moving to Mass. I'm currently looking for a job elsewhere to get away from these ridiculous liberals. The gun laws are so messed up, even the cops don't really know what they mean. Also many handguns cannot be bought in Mass. because they are not "approved". If you want a LTC it all depends on where you live and who you know. My town is pretty easy to get an All Lawful Purpose permit, some will only give you a permit for Target and Hunting. Oh yeah, have you seen the price of housing here? A "starter house" will run you around $275,000. Plus they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:01:38 AM EST
How much it affects you really depends where in Mass you live. Out in the country with pro RKBA police chiefs a Class A pistol permit (Allows CCW) is no problem. move to bigger towns/citys and forget it. you need at least a class b permit for an AR type. for preban (Or one of the banned by name rifles) you need a class A. For shotguns and non-semi rifles you can get an FID. Goal has links to the whole mess. Unless you have family or the offer is too good to refuse live in NH and commute to boston/128 (Guessing thats what you are talking about.)
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:11:56 AM EST
They still have firearms in MA, Don't tell them that, or they will legislate those away too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:24:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/27/2002 8:25:44 AM EST by ED_P]
jvic- The laws here are indeed strict, though we can still own hi-cap mags, AK's, AR's, etc... it's very much upto the mercy of your local police chief. I live in a town where they issue permits with no argument, but other towns closer to Boston really give you the third degreee. Some now require you get a doctor's note that you are sane before the police cheif will renew your permit every 4 years. If you give us an idea what town you're going to be working in, we could problaby suggest a good NH town over the border- or if you are working in Western Mass, consider VT, they have some of the most relaxed gun laws in the country, including Permit to Carry concealed for everyone licensed to own a gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:50:36 AM EST
I appreciate all of the replies. The job is in the Raynham area, close to Tauton. The job is a contract job that pays well. The fear I have is that I will like the job/company and want to go direct and live there. I am thinking about just leaving the bulk of my guns with someone else until it sorts itself out. That is the only crap thing about this situation. I will do some more reading and see how bad it really is. Doesn't sound good :). Is Rhode Island any better?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:13:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:35:40 AM EST
Avoid RI if you don't care for liberals, corruption, and high taxes. The upcoming elections will probably increase the liberal stranglehold here. I believe suppressors are also prohibited. Someday Kaesan will get to Arizona...the shock of the comparative freedom will probably result in his demise!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:39:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By raf: Downside to RI: Currently difficult to get CCW (working on it) No MGs/DD State-mandated 7-day wait. Above waived for LEOs/very rare others Upside: All else. [i]Very[/i] interesting State Militia laws
View Quote
raf, what kind of State Militia laws are you talking about? What do they say?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:39:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:14:33 AM EST
The laws are every bit as restrictive as they appear. This is the one state I do not carry a handgun in. I go to the Cape each year and carry a knife instead. Here (Vermont) you can carry with out a permit. Mass is scary!! [shock]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:14:15 PM EST
Looks like RI might be quite a bit better than MA. Ugh. Once again, I appreciate all of the advice. It really makes me mad that I even have to think about something like this. It should not even be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:30:01 PM EST
jvic, regardless of what state you move to, the safest bet would be to call the local police dept. before you move your guns to your new town, and find out what you have to do to cover yourself and be legal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:36:09 PM EST
Every time I resd one of these threads about the state of my birth, I swear I want to cry. Born and grew up in Springfield. When I was in high school, used to take my Marlin .22 on the city bus out to the end of the line and walk half a mile to the old police range to practice. Don't guess a kid could do that now, eh? Learned tons about firearms history and design by cutting high school some times and spending the day at the Armory Museum, or taking the bus out to S&W and gaping at the collection in their rotunda. Probably couldn't do that today, either. Lord, Western Mass. and Connecticut were the birthplaces of the American arms industry. Sounds like some folks are trying to make them the graveyard now. Nope, the only part of New England fit for a gun lover these days is Vermont. Let's see how long that lasts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:44:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:45:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:20:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:41:41 AM EST
Keeping it simple,any firearm(rifle/pistol)that 'accept's' more than "A 10 ROUND MAGAZINE"...=ar15's or any handgun that would 'accept' a HI-Cap=more than 10round,magazine,or a shotgun that has a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds *REQUIRES* a Class A license,its the 10,10,5 rule!Taunton,Raynham are within the 495 belt so's I'd think getting the license would be difficult.Rhode Island is not that far from these areas @30ish/mi.I'm currently sueing the CLEO in my town for his refusal/denial to issue this CL-A license to me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:52:28 PM EST
BTT Thanks for the link RAF.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:58:15 PM EST
dnra- I'm surprised you couldn't get a Class A, though towns vary, I thought as long as you have a clean record you can get one. I live just outside 495 and the CLEO didn't even question my Class A request. Guess some towns are worse tha n others- makes me want to move to NH more...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:14:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 2:16:02 PM EST by neilfj]
The best thing is to call GOAL (www.goal.org) as previously suggested. As a general rule, inside Rte 495 it is more difficult to get a license than in other areas, but there are quite a few exceptions. The problem is that the decision is up to the local police chief, so it depends 100% on his feeling. There are some towns/cities where the Chief refuses to give out any licenses, for any reason (Carver as an example). In my city, they don't give out Class B licenses as a rule. If you qualify, they issue a Class A, and I'm well within Rte495, South of Boston.
Top Top