User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:20:01 AM EDT
news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=103208

Mass. forces on duty in New Orleans: `Like wild, wild West out here'
By Thomas Caywood
Monday, September 19, 2005 - Updated: 07:55 AM EST

NEW ORLEANS – Take notice, bad guys, there's a new sheriff in town.

The men and women of the Massachusetts National Guard's Task Force Patriot, a mix of military policemen from across the Bay State, are the law in northern New Orleans these days.

They patrol the eerily quiet streets day and night in their Humvees and on foot patrols, freeing up the still-staggering New Orleans Police Department. The Guardsmen have nabbed a handful of looters red-handed and kept nonresidents out to prevent ransacking of the empty homes.

They've also confiscated at least two arms caches.

They discovered one of them when a man drove up to a checkpoint Saturday night in a beat-up pickup truck and a box of military-grade ammunition fell out.

First Lt. Jim Jones of Stoughton, a state trooper back home, searched the pickup and found several shotguns, a loaded military assault rifle and a .45-caliber pistol. A further search by federal agents summoned by the MPs revealed a virtual arsenal of military weapons and gear, including roughly 3,000 rounds of military ammunition, high-explosive grenade launcher rounds and an assortment of demolitions equipment.

``They call these cop killers,'' Jones said, checking out the black-tipped silver bullets in an assault rifle clip.

Capt. Danny McNeill of Melrose, a Cambridge detective in civilian life, found a stack of stolen identity cards in the man's wallet – a sign he may have been looting.

``It's not just the weapons. It's the bomb-making materials that's really alarming,'' McNeill said, looking over the fuses and mercury switches.

``This is what we are finding, a lot of cowboys running around with firearms,'' McNeill added. ``As the night falls, it's like the wild, wild West out here.''

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]

``They call these cop killers,'' Jones said, checking out the black-tipped silver bullets in an assault rifle clip.

Where to begin.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The first pic looks like a day at the range with fellow AR15 team members.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Except for the credit cards,

The confiscation of weapons from American Citizens?

Hmmm?

Eric The(HowAbout,CivilRightsForEveryone?)Hun

Pretty quick to dismiss the stolen cards, eh, eric(thespinithowyouwantit)hun?

They make him a criminal not sweet Joe Citizen going out for a day of plinking for Christ's sake...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think maybe explosives, grenade launcher rounds and stolen ID's are the story.  Too bad the press once again painted any gun owner who isn't carrying a bolt action deer rifle as an extremist carrying an arsenel.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]

It's not just the weapons. It's the bomb-making materials that's really alarming,'' McNeill said, looking over the fuses and mercury switches

Blasting cap in pic + the ID cards = this guys in ATF trouble.

I hope he doesnt have an AR15com screen name.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm?

They make him a criminal not sweet Joe Citizen going out for a day of plinking for Christ's sake...

Stolen 'identity cards'????

WTF is an 'identity card'???

I suppose that you've never read Unintended Consequences, either, have you?

Hmmmm?

Eric The(GoingAboutHisUsualBusiness)Hun

Ever hear of DLs, SS Cards, and the like? You know, identitty cards?

Not even mentioning the explosives as they were to vauge about all that... You ride around in a disaster area with explosives? Just everyday stuff, eh?

And no, I stopped reading that kind of BS with the Turner Diaries (downloaded for free off of the net). That was as much of that shit as I could stomach.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
that guy stole my truck...or at least parts of it

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

``It's not just the weapons. It's the bomb-making materials that's really alarming,'' McNeill said, looking over the fuses and mercury switches.

Really officer. Those aren't mercury switches..
It's for the fireworks next weekend. The Mayor wants to welcome people back to New Orleans..

I wonder if the tattoos on his right arm wil ID him as a Skin Head??
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Will somebody PLEASE send those carpet bagger MFers back home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Send those A-hole's back to the land of Kennedy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
The long and short of it is that he is, apparently deservingly, going to Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you equate 'Unintended Consequences' with 'The Turner Diaries' in any manner then you are, well, let's say, less than clever....and a bit doltish in your reading abilities.

Whats not compare? Both are paranoid right wing books. If the author is offended, so be it, but thats the reality of it.

Some of you are mighty ungrateful to have anyone down in NO restoring any semblance of order.Maybe its because the return of order ruins your personal gun slinging fantasies?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm sure there is a rational explanation.  Other than the blasting caps and ID issues, that could be most anyone I know.  Maybe he works for a construction/demolition contractor and his boss left his wallet in the truck...  Those asshats from the land of Kennedy are anti-gun Nazis.  

"Cop killers".  What a load of shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess they call them "Mass-holes" for a reason...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#22]

They discovered one of them when a man drove up to a checkpoint Saturday night in a beat-up pickup truck and a box of military-grade ammunition fell out.

Aside from all the other "details", since when did "military ammo" falling from the back of a truck become probable cause of anything?

That's what scares me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Just looking at the ACOG on that rifle makes me think it's personally owned.

BCs and IDS? He's probably done some bad stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#27]

"high-explosive grenade launcher rounds"

can you say "bird busters"?

if this guy stole this shit and was shooting up ANYONE other than looters, well, he deserves what he gets.

that said, it's sad to see that by having "military grade" ammunition immediately leaves you open to search and seizure.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't even know where to start on this one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever hear of DLs, SS Cards, and the like? You know, identitty cards?

First, if 'drivers licenses' are meant, then why not just say 'driver's licenses'?

Second, when did social security cards become 'identity cards'?  

They actually say 'Not to be used for identification.'

Not even mentioning the explosives as they were to vauge about all that...

'Vague' doesn't even begin to cover it.

You ride around in a disaster area with explosives? Just everyday stuff, eh?

The story does NOT tell us anything about this fellow's movements.

He could just as easily be fleeing the area, as heading towards the Mississippi River Bridge for a rendevous with al Qaeda.

And no, I stopped reading that kind of BS with the Turner Diaries (downloaded for free off of the net). That was as much of that shit as I could stomach.

If you equate 'Unintended Consequences' with 'The Turner Diaries' in any manner then you are, well, let's say, less than clever....and a bit doltish in your reading abilities.

Also, you are insulting to a member of this Board.....Mr. John Ross the author of UI.

Maybe y'all should talk?

Eric The(CivilRightsForAllCivilians...IncludingCops)Hun

My SS card is and ID card, it has a # that specifically Identifies ME.......BTW, my card also does not state  anywhere on the card that it shoud "not be used for identification"

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#30]

a box of military-grade ammunition fell out.

Let me see if I have this straight......whether I load my rifle with mil-spec ammo, hunting-type soft-point ammo, or anything in between, as long as it functions in a manner remotely similar to that in which all ammo is designed to function, it will be villified by the media.

Does that sum it up?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#31]
My SS card states accross the bottom of it: 'Not to be used for identification purposes'.

I don't know when they changed, but your SS card is not supposed to be an ID card. That's what your drivers license is for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Let me see if I have this straight......whether I load my rifle with mil-spec ammo, hunting-type soft-point ammo, or anything in between, as long as it functions in a manner remotely similar to that in which all ammo is designed to function, it will be villified by the media.

Does that sum it up?

Nope.....only if you load your 'assault rifle clips' with 'military grade ammunition'.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh man Typical media spin not to mention that Mass iss NOT the most gunfriendly state and it reflects in the Guard.

"miltary grade ammo" gimme a break
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My SS card states accross the bottom of it: 'Not to be used for identification purposes'.

I don't know when they changed, but your SS card is not supposed to be an ID card. That's what your drivers license is for.

Hmm.....I still use my original from 1972......not on that one.....just checked my 2 year olds in my safe....not on that one either.......must have been on some though. Thanks for the info.

ETH, I stand corrected. Carry on.......
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Is it just me or does that troopies unit patch look like a nightstick about to administer the beat down?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm a TXARNG MP and just returned from NOLA on the 15th.  Our Orders were to detain people who were violating civil law and turn them over to the local PD.  At no point were we told to search and seize anything and it was even explained that we needed to tiptoe carefully so as to avoid violating peoples civil rights.  So the questions on my mind are, "What are they doing searching vehicles?" and "How do you get probable cause to search someones vehicle based off of seeing ammo?"  I think the evidence against this fellow is going to be tossed out due to the search.

In closing, these MA boys need to get their heads outta their butts and realize that not every state is as assbackwards as theirs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#38]

No Tannerite?

Nahhh.  Can't be an ArfCommer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Does that sum it up?

Yeah, I think it sums it up nicely. So how about this. Which ones will I be detained for in the future?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm?

Hmmmm?

AGNTSA
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm?

Hmmmm?

AGNTSA
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Based only on the available information, the guy appears to be a looter/criminal. Nobody should be defending a thief.

However, it concerns me that simply having firearms and ammunition warrants being detained by the King's men.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Based only on the available information, the guy appears to be a looter/criminal. Nobody should be defending a thief.

However, it concerns me that simply having firearms and ammunition warrants being detained by the King's men.

That is the part that bothers me, the initial reason the NG searched his vehicle. Now since it *reasonably* was shown that he had a  DD (blasting cap) ok haul his ass to the FED. H/E grenade launcher...prolly not likely since the author describes a magazine as a clip. Multiple ID's, got me there. ....I only have 2, a TXDL and a TXCHL.

I hope I don't get pulled over and have my trunk searched. I have lots of *items* that are very high tech (read. Mercury, proximity, capacitive, IR switches I'm a technician for crying out loud) Hope they don't search your house, I know of 3 7 mercury swithches just offhand (2 thermostats 5 oven/stove control).

All in all I think the outcome was correct (this guy gets locked up, pending trial) but do the ends *really* justify the means?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Massholes!!!.....I'm from Massachusetts...and it's true. I think the last cops I'd want making judgements about my gun rights would be Mass cops. Why is it when you mention something about guns to a Maine cop they get a big smile and wanna talk about them.....and when you mention guns to a Mass cop you suddenly become a nazi-cop-killing-militia member?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The long and short of it is that he is, apparently deservingly, going to Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison...

FOr what? Exercising his 2nd A. rights?

Navy (sitting on the USNS comfort in Gulfport) Doc
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#50]
cop killers? silver bullets with a black tip? those sound strangely like varmit bullets which IIRC have very little chance of penetrating a vest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top