Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 11:58:05 AM EDT
I will be living somewhat near by the big red X on this map.
How crappy of an area is this place.
[url]http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?CMD=LFILL&CT=39.5541671%3A-76.072222%3A100000&GAD1=&GAD2=&GAD3=Perry+Point%2C+MD&GAD4=USA&IC=39.5541671%3A-76.072222%3A760%3A&apmenu=&apcode=&AD2_street=&AD2=&AD3=Perry+Point%2C+MD&AD4=USA&selCategory=&GMI=&noPrefs=&Zip=21903&W=456&H=259&GC=X%3A-76.072222%7CY%3A39.5541671%7CLT%3A39.5541671%7CLN%3A-76.072222%7CLS%3A100000%7Cc%3APerry_Point%7Cs%3AMD%7Cd%3A512%7Cp%3AUSA&lv=5&serch=&FS=&MA=1&myzoom.x=233&myzoom.y=7[/url]

Considering it's between Newark and Baltimore, I imagine it's probably blacker than a damn tire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
McUzi,

You will probably be pleasantly surprised.  That area is still very rural.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Quoted:
I imagine it's probably blacker than a damn tire[/b]

Maybe more like a whitewall tire. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say the good news is that you are near a public rifle range in Elk Neck state park. The bad news is that you are going to be in Maryland.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Cecil county is very rural. Perry Point isn't the nices area in the county, but it beats the hell out of anything around Baltimore. You'll be pleased to find out that the population of the county is about 94% white. Not many options job-wise, but I don't figure you'd be moving here without a job lined up. If you have any handguns on you must-have list, better get them before the end of the year. New law becomes effective 1/1/03 that says all new handguns sold must have integral trigger lock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The areas not so bad...I was out there last year...You lucked out.

Much further South or North and you might have to learn Ebonics.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit, if I was that close to PA, I'd find a farmhouse to rent and commute.  You can go shoot in the strip mines up in Schuylkill County, like I did when I was growing up.  You can scuba dive in them, too, and find dead mobsters, stolen cars, slot machines, etc.  Visibility sucks, though.[NI]  I know all kinds of stuff, as a fellow gubmint employee[(:)]  Welcome to the fambly![stick]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey I just moved out of cecil county. I lived a few more miles north in elkton.  Cwalker3 is correct, most of the population is white, a little on the redneck side.  I moved over to Delaware, unlike MD they have Concealed Carry and there is no registration of Assualt Rifles.  There is a range in North East, should only take you about 15 minutes or so to get to.  I haven't been there in about 5 years so I couldn't tell you to much about it. Have fun living in MD, you know next to CA, MD is the second most liberal state.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
YEEEEHAAAW, Cecil county is the butt of MDs jokes. fairly backward and pretty rednecky, which makes it ok by me. go N on 40 towards Elkton and hang a right at the burger king, Rt. 214 i believe. that heads south towads the eastern shore. southern cecil county and down onto the eastern shore is like stepping back in time. very gun friendly, lots of top notch sporting clays and some of the best goose/duck hunting on the planet. of course 20min S on 40 to Aberdeen will take you to the ordnance museum and a great big stiffy from the toys contained therein.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know how close you'll be to Cecil County Dragstrip, but when I was still racing, we drove through alot of farmland to get there...

Went right past the Oxford diner (in PA) along the way...The diner was famous in the original making of "The Blob" [:D]

Dude, if your in Cecil county, it ain't a bad idea to head North a few miles to PA...

Gun laws here are quite loose...
LOTS of gunshows here in PA...
Harrisburg is usually 1200+ tables...
Plenty of PA members here at AR15.com to shoot/drink with...

All in all, your red X is not a bad location, just a few minutes from a better location in PA...

I think fellow dragracer "Gus" lives down in that neck of the woods...

*Edit to say:
After looking at your map, I see the red X is about 90 minutes SE of me...

Nothing but farmland, cowshit, and Amish horse-n-buggy folks between me & the red X...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Mc Uzi,
Dont fret. The area you will be in really isnt too too bad. I drive through that area everyweekend. You will be about 30min from Baltimore and 15min from Newark Delaware(Plenty of 30rounders and no hassle AR buying** SHHHH I didnt say that!)

Once you move in I'll be glad to show you to the public range that will be practically down the street from you. Just let me know.

To tell you the truth I would try to get a place in Delaware and just drive 20min to Md for work. That way you wont have any state sales tax,CCW(not allowed in MD unless you are very well connected), almost ZERO BS gun laws. only bad thing about DE gun laws is they dont sell NFA weapons.

again,I'll be more than happy to show you around sometime.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I would say, considering you thought you were going to be in Baltimore, that you lucked out! Perryville isn't bad, and Cecil County is mostly rural. I know the area very well - I grew up in Aberdeen. You can probably find a decent house near Perryville to rent or like others have said check DE or PA if you want CCW and lower taxes.
Of interest to McUzi: Rising Sun, Md. was once  considered "Klan Land", although that has pretty much gone away (fortunately).
There isn't much in the way of night life in the area, but you will be in boater heaven!

Edited to add: bring winter clothes!  It starts getting cold around mid-late October.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
A Great area to go to. Look at living just across the line in Delaware if possible. But that is some of the best country around and in the summer you can get REAL Tomatoes, not the kind that start life as hard as a lacrosse ball.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont do it! Move to Delaware.  Deep down inside, every Maryland gun owner wants to leave the damn state.  Glendeningrad is not a very pleasant place to live if you like firearms.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top