Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 6:49:10 AM EDT
http://fyi.cnn.com/2001/fyi/teachers.ednews/05/18/gun.education.ap/index.html

Maryland governor vetoes gun safety bill

May 18, 2001
Web posted at: 9:56 AM EDT (1356 GMT)

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- A bill that would have made Maryland thefirst state to require public schools to teach gun safety fromkindergarten through 12th grade was vetoed Thursday by Gov. ParrisGlendening.

The governor said he would have signed the bill if lawmakers had notadded provisions allowing educators to take middle-school and highschool students to gun ranges and to work with organizations such asthe National Rifle Association to develop the courses.

"I support efforts to create responsible gun-safety programs in ourschools," Glendening said. "However, this bill would create a clearappearance of the state encouraging young people to handle weaponsand potentially furthering their interest in a time when we aretrying to fight the scourge of gun violence."

The bill raises "the specter of the National Rifle Associationtaking busloads of 13-year-old boys and girls off to a firing rangefor a day of shooting," the governor added.

The NRA did not immediately return calls for comment.

The bill was approved by a wide margin in the General Assembly, withsupport that crossed political and ideological lines.

Many teachers, however, had objected to the cost and the shootingrange provision. Educators have been among the strongest politicalsupporters of Glendening, a former college professor.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

(c) 2001 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
An AOL Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Another case of a commie being afraid to let the light shine on the failures of his party's agenda.

Intelligent people think, "What has CHANGED over time, to create the problems we now face?" Commies think, "Better not let them see what we did!"

Commies know what changed, they forced the changes to take place, but they don't want the masses to realize that those are their changes which are killing America.

What this bill would do, is help RETURN us to the time before the commies forced the changes, when guns and marksmanship WERE socially acceptible. When kids learned, first hand, of the destructive power of firearms, and learned to respect that power, when they never would have dreamed of aiming one at another human being.

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Glendenning is the biggest *sshole in the country.  He is worse than Clinton, Gray Davis, Gore, almost anyone.  It pains me greatly that every morning I wake up, I am still one of his subjects.

Here he goes again, making a safety/education issue a political issue.  He is the biggest bleeding heart, pinko bastard.  

[b]And what's worse is, in 2002, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend will be elected our Governor...[red]AND SHE'S EVEN WORSE!!!  I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS STATE!![/b][/red]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The bill raises "the specter of the National Rifle Associationtaking busloads of 13-year-old boys and girls off to a firing rangefor a day of shooting," the governor added.
View Quote

[size=3][red][b]LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY!  [/b]

[/size=3]Just imagine children learns to enjoy shooting and respect firearms.  How horrible.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, school is for teaching reading, writing, arithmetic, critical thinking skills and other solid academic subjects.

School is NOT about advancing social agendas (on either side). It shouldn't be about teaching safe dating, safe driving, or safe gun handling.

If you teach students how to think critically, they'll develop the critical skills to drive safely, date responsibly, and handle guns appropriately.

Public education should be a forum for socializing (read indoctrination).

I think gun safety in the schools is a good idea, but I DON'T think it should become part of a cirriculum. NRA should sponsor school marksmanship programs for those who are interested. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H should sponsor/promote gun safety and marksmanship.

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Glendening would sooner be dipped in honey and have his ass spread eagled over a fire ant mound, than cooperate with the NRA on anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top